Sky News

(20-02-2023, 10:45 PM)Kojak Wrote:  With talk of the BBC supposedly having presenters walking around the newsroom and pieces done from the balcony, I have to wonder if there will be any chance Sky will follow suit? They pioneered it in the UK, after all. Sky News Today from 2002-2005 was brilliant.
We'll have to wait and see what happens, but the BBC News channel were going to be making regular trips into the newsroom when they moved in to NBH ten years ago - they did a bit on the first day, then gave up pretty quickly. Not surprising, it added nothing and was presumably a pain to organise.

I do hope the same happens here - I have no problem with multiple presentation areas or standing presentation, but prancing about is at best pointless and at worst downright distracting and irritating. I know a lot of you have a fondness for the Sky News Centre era, but for me it was presentationally fairly indistinguishable from 'what if The Day Today team had done a follow-up special 15 years later'.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DTV's post:
  • Brekkie

(20-02-2023, 09:18 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Given the spokesperson at the news conference went on to accuse Sky News and ITV News of ‘trying to sell more papers’, I do hope someone has double-checked that that’s definitely who they meant.
You need to read the statement closely. It initially referred to “the press and members of the public” before going on to criticise both Sky News and ITV. The statement then said that they [the press] had “taken it upon themselves to run stories about us to sell papers and increase their [the media, such as Sky News or ITV] own profits”.
It’s a very carefully and cleverly worded statement that hits out at the media. It’s constructed in a way that weaves a narrative and blames both the press and the broadcast media.

(20-02-2023, 11:46 PM)DTV Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 10:45 PM)Kojak Wrote:  With talk of the BBC supposedly having presenters walking around the newsroom and pieces done from the balcony, I have to wonder if there will be any chance Sky will follow suit? They pioneered it in the UK, after all. Sky News Today from 2002-2005 was brilliant.
We'll have to wait and see what happens, but the BBC News channel were going to be making regular trips into the newsroom when they moved in to NBH ten years ago - they did a bit on the first day, then gave up pretty quickly. Not surprising, it added nothing and was presumably a pain to organise.

I do hope the same happens here - I have no problem with multiple presentation areas or standing presentation, but prancing about is at best pointless and at worst downright distracting and irritating. I know a lot of you have a fondness for the Sky News Centre era, but for me it was presentationally fairly indistinguishable from 'what if The Day Today team had done a follow-up special 15 years later'.
I don’t think that was necessarily to do with presenters walking around the newsroom, though - more the surrounding presentation and perhaps the language used. Sky used to have big, lurid two-or-three word captions on the news wall behind presenters, often on a red background, which did make it look like the televised version of The Sun. I think that the standing up and presenting from the newsroom was (wrongly, IMO) seen as part of that - hence the sudden changes to chaining presenters to the main desk 24/7. 

Take a look at Franceinfo one time - they have a lot of what I’d call dynamic presentation, walking around and presenting from the newsroom - but it’s not tabloid in any way, shape or form. IMO it’s what Sky News should have evolved into. If you want an example of how Sky News could be more dynamic whilst still keeping their now-signature sober style - that is how it should be done.
[-] The following 6 users Like Kojak's post:
  • bkman1990, Jeff, London Lite, mouseboy33, Stockland Hillman, Worzel

(20-02-2023, 11:57 PM)Dougal Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 09:18 PM)Spencer Wrote:  Given the spokesperson at the news conference went on to accuse Sky News and ITV News of ‘trying to sell more papers’, I do hope someone has double-checked that that’s definitely who they meant.
You need to read the statement closely. It initially referred to “the press and members of the public” before going on to criticise both Sky News and ITV. The statement then said that they [the press] had “taken it upon themselves to run stories about us to sell papers and increase their [the media, such as Sky News or ITV] own profits”.
It’s a very carefully and cleverly worded statement that hits out at the media. It’s constructed in a way that weaves a narrative and blames both the press and the broadcast media.
Fair point, and I’ve now read it in full. What I saw on TV, however, had been clipped to a soundbite which, without the full context, changed the meaning, and my understanding of part of the statement.

And I guess this further raises issues about the responsibilities of broadcasters in such circumstances.

(21-02-2023, 12:10 AM)Kojak Wrote:  Take a look at Franceinfo one time - they have a lot of what I’d call dynamic presentation, walking around and presenting from the newsroom - but it’s not tabloid in any way, shape or form. IMO it’s what Sky News should have evolved into. If you want an example of how Sky News could be more dynamic whilst still keeping their now-signature sober style - that is how it should be done.

Honestly, as a fairly regular viewer of Franceinfo, I think their presentation style has fallen off into a more standard routine lately, just like any channel that ever attempts a more dynamic, Sky News circa 2005 presentation style. These days, Franceinfo does very little walk-and-talk standup presentation in their newsroom atrium. It mostly consists of an anchor sitting at the same big long table with correspondents and guests.

As a producer, if you have the time and resources to produce up a newscast regularly and build those kinds of segments, it's great. But it takes work, and that work is always going to be secondary to actual newsgathering. You'll notice that you'll never see very much of that fancy presentation stuff when there's breaking news or even just on days that are busier than usual. That's because producers are often too busy trying to get the correct information and live shots on air and don't really have the time to worry about making things look fancy.

With that said, while I do like Sky News editorially, they are quite boring visually. It'd be nice to see something more than just some blobs of color behind the presenters. I've always preferred the ~2015 era graphics to the current ones, which just feel like a bland warmover of the old graphics.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Charles's post:
  • Kojak

(20-02-2023, 11:43 PM)Humphrey Hacker Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 09:31 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Theres a big difference between co-operating with a media outlet when there's a missing person you're asking for help to find and asking for privacy once they are found.

Giving consent for one doesn't automatically give consent forever.

Yes I see a lot of focus on this in the next few days.

OFCOM may have something to say about it down the line but it is noticeable how much of the tabloid press have reported the family statement without including that line because of course they have a history of such behaviour themselves, so they're not going to make a big deal out of it - especially as it's not the BBC that has been called out. Although no doubt the BBC will end up getting the blame.

If it is just one journalist of questionable reputation at Sky News who crossed the line you'd expect them to be disciplined for it.   If they're lucky they'll get punished with three months paid leave.

ITN were also named, I wouldn't entirely blame Sky and one individual.

(21-02-2023, 10:40 AM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  ITN were also named, I wouldn't entirely blame Sky and one individual.

It was ITV that was mentioned, not ITN. Therefore, it could be ITV News, or GMB. Maybe even a programme like This Morning which was at fault.

order-order.com 

Ofcom 'extremely concerned' by complaints by the family of Nicola Bulley, asked ITV and Sky to explain their actions.

www.bbc.com