Sky News

(28-02-2023, 06:08 PM)ginnyfan Wrote:  With the demise of BBC News Channel, this is such a unique chance for Sky News to be the home of UK rolling/breaking news, again. Drop all the specialized shows and useless filler, bring back double headed bulletins hour after hour. This is what Sky News did when they were at the top!

I'm not sure I see the point of an entirely rolling news channel - the website and app can fulfil that for people wanting to dip in and get the news. I've always liked the idea of different programmes, but until recently, they've never really done it properly. Save for the Climate Show, and the 9pm slots, they are all the same thing anyway and you could argue that why do they call the show after the name of the presenter when there is no real difference.

Although, I do wonder if there is feasibility to have a rolling news web only output. 

With regards to double-headed presentation, it would be nice to have that back in some capacity.

Lots of people moan about the glass box, referring to it as a vanity project, which I always thought was unfair as any studio is an opportunity to show off and create visual intrigue. If people don't like, that fair enough. The problem with the glass box is the same that always happens with Sky News, they start off with good intentions, rotating the desk, having different backdrops, and then become lazy and revert to one position with no variation. Why not start rotating the desk again? Why not LED backdrops or something on the boring beige walls behind the screen, so that programme output could be more visually distinctive and intriguing to the eye. But in reality, the studio isn't as versatile as Millbank is proving to be. Having a corner sofa in the glass box, some foliage, and then you have a lovely alternative presentation zone.
[-] The following 3 users Like Neon Pig's post:
  • Gibsy, Kojak, PatrZDZ

It would be nice to see some variation in presentation points in the studio. I don’t think I’ve ever appreciated the amount of space that they do have in there.
[Image: ncs_sky-news-studio-21_00002.jpg](Image courtesy of NewsCast Studio)

They used a sofa with Kay Burley when they first moved into the glass box, didn’t they?

Edit: I’ve just found an image from Kay Burley’s Twitter showing the box of the sofas from the outside of the box:
[Image: D6iDMNoX4AA6SJF?format=jpg&name=large]

I’ve always thought it looks alright. Some branding outside the box around the building would improve it. I don’t think it helps that it looks like there’s hardly anyone around.

I know I'm probably quite late to the party with this, but I've just seen the current studio layout for Breakfast / Kay Burley and I must say I really like it. It's small, but it does the job whilst suiting the format of the show.

youtu.be 

I kissed a gull and I liked it!
[-] The following 1 user Likes BBI45's post:
  • harryb

Maybe I'm late to this as well, but I noticed that they gave us a better sense of the Millbank space when they got a shot of Boris walking up for an interview a few weeks ago:

[Image: Screen-Shot-2023-02-23-at-10-09-26-AM.png]

[Image: Screen-Shot-2023-02-23-at-10-08-26-AM.png]

I still miss the newsroom backdrop and think the video wall looks pretty poor, especially on tight shots, but the overall way they use the set for Kay Burley's show is nice.
[-] The following 3 users Like Charles's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv, UTVLifer

(10-03-2023, 08:20 PM)BBI45 Wrote:  I know I'm probably quite late to the party with this, but I've just seen the current studio layout for Breakfast / Kay Burley and I must say I really like it. It's small, but it does the job whilst suiting the format of the show.

youtu.be 

Why does she give off the vibe she’s cold in there and that she’s presenting a 0-10yo kids show.

Does anybody have any insight as to what Sky News is going to broadcast to the rest of the world while it simulcasts Academy Awards (Oscars) in the UK?

(12-03-2023, 09:18 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Does anybody have any insight as to what Sky News is going to broadcast to the rest of the world while it simulcasts Academy Awards (Oscars) in the UK?

The usual replays after midnight?
[-] The following 2 users Like telleyhead's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon

Sky News have the wrong time on the screen for Los Angeles. It’s actually 16:06 in LA as the US clocks went forward one hour last night.

Edit: They’ve corrected the clock now.
[-] The following 2 users Like AJB39's post:
  • bkman1990, London Lite

Fun drinking game: take a shot every time they mention what colour the carpet is.

What does that say about a channel if it scares fish? Just talk me through that.
[-] The following 2 users Like Josh's post:
  • AJB39, UTVLifer