Sky News

I really hope whoever takes over will breath some life into Sky News. The television output has become so bland, and that feeling of 'rolling news' has long gone, with much of the output now just consisting of the news reader presenting the same stories over and over. It no longer has a unique identity and purpose, and is basically doing the same as BBC news channel.

I believe that a more energetic presentation style, anchored from a newsroom, with a feeling of being at the heart of the news as it happens would pull a bigger audience. Just having someone sat in that lifeless box reading the same stories is not going to attract an audience.

I appreciate that it's expensive to fund a news channel, but unless you invest in the output and create something that delivers and appeals, you might as well not bother at all.
[-] The following 10 users Like Scarbados's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, bkman1990, chevron, Gibsy, Jeff, Kojak, matthieu1221, mouseboy33, RDJ, UTVLifer

Im sure he is a nice man and he certainly changed the look and feel of SkyNews. It does have a consistent look and feel. But, for me personally, I miss the energetic old days of the channel. Its youthful energy wasnt everyones cup of tea, but thats what the BBC was for. But it seemed like he turn SkyNews into a BBC clone. I know clean modern and bright is the current thing. It just seems to me there could have a been a "SkyNews" way of doing that and keeping the youthful energetic DNA of the channel without throwning everything out the window. Hopefully whoever takes over will give it a rethink. We can hope.
[-] The following 6 users Like mouseboy33's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv, Gibsy, Juicy Joe, matthieu1221, Scarbados

Some plans to build two additional studios in Sky Central near the glass box have been paused for now.
[-] The following 2 users Like Connews's post:
  • bkman1990, Gibsy

(05-12-2022, 04:59 PM)Connews Wrote:  Some plans to build two additional studios in Sky Central near the glass box have been paused for now.

That’s a shame, there’s goes the chance of more engaging presentation…How did you hear about the two studios?

I read about the pause in investment for new studios from Jim Waterson in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/dec/04/sky-news-boss-set-to-step-down-as-channel-looks-to-post-tv-future?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • Gibsy

(05-12-2022, 07:29 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I read about the pause in investment for new studios from Jim Waterson in The Guardian.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/dec/04/sky-news-boss-set-to-step-down-as-channel-looks-to-post-tv-future?CMP=Share_AndroidApp_Other
I wish David Liddiment would be the new boss of Sky News.

By the time of 2005 Sky News was so over the top it was in danger of imploding:
www.youtube.com 

So the relaunch of later in the year sort of calmed it all down:
www.youtube.com 

And that's pretty much where it continued to head really. Whether it could be argued it went too far in that direction is up for debate.

The 2005 relaunch certainly simplified the look - the graphics still look fairly decent today, however the best thing about it was that it was full of life. There was good, dramatic music, fast paced news and there were loads of different sets that made the different bulletins feel unique. As others have said, certainly not everyone's cup of tea, but it came across as strong and elegant. Current Sky News is just boring and dull.
[-] The following 10 users Like MFTJA's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, fanoftv, Gibsy, GMc, Jeff, Juicy Joe, Kojak, matthieu1221, Scarbados

2005 was probably really the best it got - though it had come after four years of probably the worst look the channel ever had, with the infamous tabloid-looking “slug” on the lower thirds (originally bigger than they ended up) and the original Newswall, with that massive Breaking News graphic so well illustrated above. They also ended up having to change the theme music after a year or so, having originally used a rearrangement of their 2001 election theme, then having found they didn’t have the rights to it, hastily changed it to the prototypical version of the melody they still use today, though that first version wasn’t much - not till we got that brilliant orchestral version in 2005 which redeemed it greatly.
[-] The following 2 users Like Rdd's post:
  • bkman1990, Kojak

The 2005 relaunch is the best Sky News has ever looked IMO - a lovely music package, an expansive newsroom set and some really lovely presentation (bring back the voice of God!). Sure, the accompanying format change had a myriad of faults, from triple-headed shows for no reason to endless ‘coming up’ and ‘tell us what you think’ segments rather than actual news (some of the presenters were… interesting choices too), but the presentation itself has never looked better as far as I’m concerned.

I therefore think it’s a huge shame that when they went to fix the format, they gradually killed off everything that was nice about the 2005 look, until eventually by 2015 Sky News there was barely anything left. It’s gotten better in recent years (particularly the new Millbank set), but there were a good few years of Sky News comprising of (still) top rate journalism, but wrapped up in a bland format with bland theme music and predominantly hosted from a bland glass box (which, despite the backlash when it first launched, definitely looked much better before they panicked and started focussing all of their shots on the huge screen/a corridor with a few coloured lights in).
[-] The following 4 users Like Critique's post:
  • bkman1990, Gibsy, Kojak, matthieu1221