The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Regards the 6 nations and the BBC, Brian Moore moved over, by his own choice, to cover the womens tournament, which is exclusive to the BBC. So, he's still on the coverage. One other thing, regards womens rugby union, I'd like to see the BBC give the premier 15s a proper, on a linear channel, highlights programme. Be a good commitment to the competition.

Good to see that the blindingly ugly Under 20 Six Nations graphics have been tweaked this week. The illuminous yellow/lime has been replaced by black as the main background colour on all the graphics. Still not the best graphics you'll ever see (by far) but at least you don't think you'll go blind watching them.

Last week
[Image: TVLF%20212.jpg]

This week
[Image: TVLF%20213.jpg]
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, Rdd

Nice article about the Superbowl broadcast on Sunday:

www.thebroadcastbridge.com 

Although it does have this very annoying paragraph:

"Fox Sports is gearing up for its live coverage of Super Bowl LVII on February 12th, which will be the first NFL Super Bowl to be televised in 4K UHD. The game will be shot in High Dynamic Range (HDR) at 1080p and upconverted for broadcast in 4K"

So not the first to be televised in 4K then if its 1080p...
[-] The following 4 users Like aaron_scotland's post:
  • bkman1990, Medianext.MX, News Engineer, RhysJR

Another Superbowl update is that ITV will be using their own commentary with Darren Fletcher, rather than the world feed or the Fox commentary. As this got majoritly negative reaction and feedback when they did the same for the London games in the autumn (and Darren Fletcher is at best a marmite soccer commentator), I'm not sure this is the greatest idea from ITV.

As co-commentators, Jack Crawford returns following on from his appearances in the role in London, and he will be joined by Maurice Jones-Drew. MJD has been regular studio pundit for Channel 5's Monday Night Football coverage over recent seasons and I believe is a regular radio co-comm for the in-house coverage of the LA Rams. From what I recall, some of the complaints previously was that Crawford was quite green to broadcasting and that came through on air, so it's good to see he will be joined by a more experienced broadcaster, who also happens to be a regular voice to FTA NFL coverage in the UK as a bonus.

twitter.com 

I seeing a rather bizarre mix of mic muffs for BBC One's coverage of Scotland v Wales 6N match. Gabby Logan is using the mic muff with the old BBC Sport logo. John Barclay, Martin Johnson and Jonathan Davies have their mic muffs with the new BBC Sport logo on them.

Ummmmm

[Image: TVLF%20214.jpg]
(BBC Two highlights show)
[-] The following 5 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39, bkman1990, Brekkie, thomash79, TVFan

Ireland Ireland - so good they named it twice?

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]

(13-02-2023, 12:23 PM)VMPhil Wrote:  Ireland Ireland - so good they named it twice?

Might have got mixed up with Irelands Call  Big Grin

Against The Head had some technical issues tonight on RTÉ2.

They were showing the highlights of England v Italy with Conor Morris at Twickenham and a round up of the U20s from Michael Corcoran twice on tonight's programme.

An unscheduled ad break came up after their first airing which had cut Daire O'Brien off in the studio talking about the U20s from last weekend.

The same packages came back up again once the ad break was over.

It did end just before 9pm but with no apology from Daire for the technical issues.

Would BBC Scotland have asked Darvel to install electronic advertising boards for tonight's live game with Falkirk? Unusual to see them in non-league grounds.