The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(02-03-2023, 04:43 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  I think it says a lot that I was not aware until a few hours ago that the first LIV Golf event of 2023 happened last weekend. It's broadcast arrangements have changed for this year it appears. The YouTube stream has gone, with access in the UK available via a new streaming website, LIVGolfPlus.com. The website appears free, but it does require you to login (linking a Google or Apple account or entering an e-mail and password).

In the US, it has finally secured a broadcast partner, the CW Network, which to be honest I've never heard of before. The new arrangment hasn't started rosily though, with some affiliates of CW (especially those owned by CBS - a broadcaster of the PGA Tour) not carrying LIV Golf. And the rating were quite atrocious, with many outlets going with the headline that it was outrated by the World's Funniest Animals. It was comprehensively beaten by NBC's coverage of the low-key PGA event the Honda Classic.

twitter.com 

www.sportspromedia.com 

In a slightly related point, I think I'm noticing a gradual exodus of live coverage of events away from YouTube streams to organiser's own streaming websites. I would have thought that there would be a decent chance of picking up some casual audience through the YouTube algorithm and YouTube has a very large amount of regular users and availabilty on devices. Case in point, I think every LIV Golf YouTube stream last year popped up on my YouTube homepage at some point, and I had no idea of the event until days afterwards this week.

History always trumps money when it comes to sport.    I suspect too the PGA might be getting more prominent coverage than usual this year to fight off LIV Golf too.

AppleTv+ coverage of the MLS has begun and apparently its getting a thumbs up. All the coverage is produced by the MLS team itself and is far superior than what FOX has done for years. The picture resolution is true 1080i and they have professional sets instead of college dorm room setups. But there is room for improvement.

www.sportsmediawatch.com 

worldsoccertalk.com 

[Image: 760A7195-750x375.jpg]
[Image: AppleFoxComp-718x1024.png]
[Image: Fp3zX1cWAAMygNv?format=jpg&name=small]

More information about the studio for APPLETV+ MLS LeaguePass
www.sportsvideo.org 

www.dailymail.co.uk 

Further down the article reveals the Women’s Football World Cup will be shared by BBC and ITV and coverage will be done n the cheap.

(03-03-2023, 11:45 PM)Newshound47 Wrote:  www.dailymail.co.uk 
Further down the article reveals the Women’s Football World Cup will be shared by BBC and ITV and coverage will be done n the cheap.

It's being done on the cheap due to the relatively late notice of the agreement of the deal (yet to be officially confirmed) to cover the tournament.

Though I suspect if England go deep into the tournament (semi-final at least), the BBC, in particular, will send their women's football big-hitters (Gabby Logan, Alex Scott, Robyn Cowen, Rachel Brown-Finnis) out to Australia.

Going forward, coverage of the women's major tournaments (Women's World Cup and Euros) will replicate the men's, as in both BBC and ITV covering them.

(04-03-2023, 12:53 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  

It's being done on the cheap due to the relatively late notice of the agreement of the deal (yet to be officially confirmed) to cover the tournament.

Though I suspect if England go deep into the tournament (semi-final at least), the BBC, in particular, will send their women's football big-hitters (Gabby Logan, Alex Scott, Robyn Cowen, Rachel Brown-Finnis) out to Australia.

Going forward, coverage of the women's major tournaments (Women's World Cup and Euros) will replicate the men's, as in both BBC and ITV covering them.

It also doesn't help that it will take place in Australia/NZ, with all matches either taking place overnight or in the morning UK time. It also may be a factor that a lot of the tournament will clash with the start of the men's domestic season, so some footballing personnel availability may be an issue too.

It wasn't the greatest FA Cup draw in the week, but all four ties will be broadcast in a fortnight's time on the BBC and ITV. Manchester City v. Burnley on the Saturday on BBC One will clash with the Six Nations on ITV 1, with a triple-header of the other three matches on the Sunday.

With only 2hrs 15mins between matches on the Sunday, there is a danger there will be a clash between matches if they go to extra-time and even more so penalties. But not much more could have been done really - Saturday (Six Nations) and Friday (Comic Relief) were difficult for scheduling another match; Monday is out due to the international break; and Sunday couldn't have kick-offs any later or earlier really.

[Image: FqT1oOAWAAsHoHG?format=jpg&name=900x900]

A technical issues slide has just appeared on Channel 4. It just came on after the first part of the F1 highlights programme from Bahrain.

The F1 highlights programme has just returned on Channel 4. There were no commercial adverts seen during the technical issues. The intro to the 2nd part of the programme actually had a short piece about the Bahrain F1 GP being powered by renewables. It had a remixed version of music available for the piece.
[-] The following 1 user Likes bkman1990's post:
  • watchingtv

Another problem going to the adverts on Channel 4.

(04-03-2023, 12:53 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  

The Daily Mail complaining about the BBC not sending enough people to cover a World Cup?

I think it is probably actually a mistake to put all matches of the Womens World Cup and Euros on the Crown Jewels list.   Home nations games and semi finals/final for sure should be on there along with a number of key games but in this case I think having to cover the whole thing might be somewhat offputting to the BBC and ITV given the resources required.   Whilst no doubt the interest has signficantly increased I think it's not really a case that group games not featuring the home nations or biggest teams are really of signficant importance.

And of course in the wider discussion about what should and shouldn't be on that list it's a joke that Six Nations and Rugby World Cup means games featuring the home nations are not on that list (only the RWC Final is protected), and of course even though on paper the Olympics is as we've seen with the Discovery deal live coverage of Britons in medal events are no longer guaranteed to be free to air.

(04-03-2023, 09:13 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The Daily Mail complaining about the BBC not sending enough people to cover a World Cup?

I think it is probably actually a mistake to put all matches of the Womens World Cup and Euros on the Crown Jewels list.   Home nations games and semi finals/final for sure should be on there along with a number of key games but in this case I think having to cover the whole thing might be somewhat offputting to the BBC and ITV given the resources required.   Whilst no doubt the interest has signficantly increased I think it's not really a case that group games not featuring the home nations or biggest teams are really of signficant importance.

And of course in the wider discussion about what should and shouldn't be on that list it's a joke that Six Nations and Rugby World Cup means games featuring the home nations are not on that list (only the RWC Final is protected), and of course even though on paper the Olympics is as we've seen with the Discovery deal live coverage of Britons in medal events are no longer guaranteed to be free to air.
Would be good if the crown jewel list was reviewed in the near future - I suspect it is a distinct possibility post-election. In particular, I'd like to see the Cricket World Cup final and the final F1 race of the year on the list. I don't know about the women's World Cup/Euros, though - I don't think moving their group matches to pay TV would go down at all well, particularly when the men's cups are all protected for free TV. I suppose it is a moveable feast, though - sporting events come on and off free TV all the time.

I don't usually watch the sport news on the News Channel but this caught my eye. Which Studio is this in Salford? Sport usually comes from the make shift space while the ground floor is developed?

[Image: Newsport.png]