The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(10-03-2023, 12:30 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  
(09-03-2023, 02:30 PM)NI92 Wrote:  Also confirmed by the BBC, also Isa Guha will be part of the presentation team again this year
Clare Balding confirmed as lead presenter of BBC Wimbledon coverage from 2023 - Media Centre

Isa Guha's involvement will have implications regarding BBC's TV and radio coverage of the Ashes series in the summer; she will definitely miss the Third Test (starting 6th July) and may miss the Second Test a week earlier.  Similarly, Alison Mitchell will also miss the Third Test if she is required for Wimbledon commentary duties.  With the greatest respect, I wouldn't have Aatif Nawaz commentating on the Ashes series, either on Test Match Special on the radio or the BBC2 highlights (which will probably be aired initially on BBC4 during Wimbledon), but the person I would like to see the BBC recruit for their Ashes coverage, even if it's for 2 tests to cover various absences, is a 4-time Ashes winner and an Ashes-winning captain to boot and being a former Ashes-winning captain, it gives the BBC coverage credence and gravitas it deserves for a series of its magnitude and it will earn the BBC some brownie points with the cricket-loving public.

Step forward one David Ivon Gower...
Or Rishi Persad?

Nice little behind-the-scenes video of ITV Sport's new virtual studio based at Timeline in Ealing:

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • RhysJR

(10-03-2023, 02:17 AM)Worzel Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 12:30 AM)Scratch_Perry Wrote:  Isa Guha's involvement will have implications regarding BBC's TV and radio coverage of the Ashes series in the summer; she will definitely miss the Third Test (starting 6th July) and may miss the Second Test a week earlier.  Similarly, Alison Mitchell will also miss the Third Test if she is required for Wimbledon commentary duties.  With the greatest respect, I wouldn't have Aatif Nawaz commentating on the Ashes series, either on Test Match Special on the radio or the BBC2 highlights (which will probably be aired initially on BBC4 during Wimbledon), but the person I would like to see the BBC recruit for their Ashes coverage, even if it's for 2 tests to cover various absences, is a 4-time Ashes winner and an Ashes-winning captain to boot and being a former Ashes-winning captain, it gives the BBC coverage credence and gravitas it deserves for a series of its magnitude and it will earn the BBC some brownie points with the cricket-loving public.

Step forward one David Ivon Gower...
Or Rishi Persad?

No.  He's solely a presenter, rather than a presenter and can take on a lead commentary stint, like Isa Guha or Alison Mitchell and what Gower used to do during his time at Sky.

(10-03-2023, 01:07 PM)thegeek Wrote:  Nice little behind-the-scenes video of ITV Sport's new virtual studio based at Timeline in Ealing:

www.youtube.com 

Thanks for posting that. Interesting to see that many years on the basic processes have remained the same, upward looking cameras etc,  I was perhaps expecting that sort of technique to have been surpassed by something else perhaps akin to magnetic field sensing etc? - perhaps the movement definition of something like that wouldn't be 'fine' enough for these purposes. Thanks, again.

Does anyone know how long sports remain available on demand on Amazon?

I was going through my watchlist just now and was surprised that a replay of Manchester United v. Nottingham Forest from Boxing Day week is still available to watch in full.
www.amazon.co.uk 

And the rugby from Novemeber is still viewable.
www.amazon.co.uk -

Generally the tennis has been available for 12 months so I would imagine the same for other sports.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • RhysJR

RTE presenting from pitchside at Murrayfield today again, Virgin have the Ireland match next week and they said they are presenting from the stadium

No studio again on BBC Scotland's Sportscene so this caption appeared 10 minutes until the programme. There was also a PG Lock on the programme on iPlayer. Not quite sure why, I didn't notice anything unusal: there was no flares etc. and it was a early afternoon kick-off. There was a VAR check within 30 seconds of the caption appearing which may be triggering for some viewer I guess.  Big Grin

[Image: O1o2H4B.jpg]

I do like these branded straps which are also used on the red button for radio content - they're simple but one of the nicest elements of the rebrand.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • benzj, bkman1990, Jeff, thePineapple

Not sure if it is realted to the reduced football coverage across the BBC this weekend, but this wwek's Super League Show featured no in-vision presentation, with host Tanya Arnold only providing voiceovers linking between edits. Tanya is now freelance, so she is not like the likes of John Murray and Ian Dennis on 5 Live over the weekend who 'had' to be on air.

The programme featured commentary and post-match interviews like normal.

Another minor note, the scoreboard on the Super League Show has all elements bold throughout. On network programming, it would have the leaders code and score in bold and the other team in standard case (highlighting the leader).

www.bbc.co.uk