The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

RTÉ had some loss of commentary during the 1st half of the BKT URC match between Ulster v Leinster at Ravenhill tonight. There was one really torrential spell of rain which had knocked out the power in the stands which occurred minutes before the break.

Another torrential spell of rain has arrived within the last few minutes at Ravenhill. RTÉ's presenting team have had to carry umbrellas at some points during their OB at the venue.

I would presume that BBC Sport NI's team are indoors during the heavy spell of rain at Ravenhill?

A full edition of the Premiership from 2001:
www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like Yorksman's post:
  • DE88, Ste

According to the NFL Show on ITV last night, they will have Darren Fletcher doing dedicated UK commentary for Giants v Packers in London instead of taking the US commentary from NFL Network. Whether this means having our own scorebar graphics or not I am not sure.

(08-10-2022, 01:39 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  According to the NFL Show on ITV last night, they will have Darren Fletcher doing dedicated UK commentary for Giants v Packers in London instead of taking the US commentary from NFL Network. Whether this means having our own scorebar graphics or not I am not sure.

When BT show the London MLB games, they have Darren Fletcher doing the commentary, but take the pictures from the MLB Network.  I'd assume it'll be the same sort of setup for ITV and the NFL.

Eurosport upsetting snooker fans again. The Hong Kong Masters has been covered live in full all week.

But we get to the semi finals and final, and the only live coverage is on Discovery+.

I think it's due to other contracts and commitments on the main channel. I was wondering though, whether this is something 'BT Sport' could help out with, due to their recent tie up?

(09-10-2022, 08:35 AM)fusionlad Wrote:  Eurosport upsetting snooker fans again. The Hong Kong Masters has been covered live in full all week.

But we get to the semi finals and final, and the only live coverage is on Discovery+.

I think it's due to other contracts and commitments on the main channel. I was wondering though, whether this is something 'BT Sport' could help out with, due to their recent tie up?

You'd think they'd consider putting something on Quest.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • fusionlad

Unfortunate for BBC Sport with the opening match of the Rugby League World Cup. Firstly the team graphics were wrong, and then there was a (20 minute?) delay because there was a stadium PA issue at St. James Park.

EDIT: Pres wise the graphics are based on the current BBC Sport style.

Apparently the BBC and ITV are bidding too low?

awfulannouncing.com 

Quote:“This is not a case of being priced out, but rather testament to a lack of willingness of broadcasters to pay what the women’s game deserves,” Romy Gai, FIFA’s chief partnerships and media officer, said in an interview.

FIFA has already turned down offers to broadcast the tournament in Italy, Germany, France and the UK and expects a similar outcome in Spain, Gai said. He declined to say which broadcasters had submitted bids for games.

A bit of a stir in Ireland/Northern Ireland with the GAA Rights for 2023-2027. Sky Sports apparently looked to add the League rights to their All Ireland Championship rights but declined and BBC Sport have come in to add to RTE & TG4.

www.sportspromedia.com 

www.bbc.co.uk 

Yeah there’s a couple of things up there. For the first time since 2007 we have just one linear tv rights holder for the Championship in RTE. For the GAA-Sky split I think the league games excuse is being talked up, tbh. There are two factors really at play. First of all is the new “split season”, the Championship is basically over by July, and the majority of games done earlier, meaning that GAA as a method of keeping subs through the summer isn’t as valuable for Sky. Secondly the GAA have seen what they think is the future, and that’s their own brand platform GAAGO (50% owned by RTE). So there will be additional championship coverage there, and the U.K. rights - held by either Setanta or Premier (basically the same people) since the mid-1990s - will, except for the limited amount the BBC has picked up for national broadcast, be going there too, which is a watershed moment and basically reflects the end of Setanta/Premier in the U.K.

The hypocrisy from RTE over this is unreal though. They basically ran a campaign against the Sky paywall along the lines “the GAA should be free” raising the spectre of the elderly rural man living alone who wouldn’t be able to get Sky and now they are 50% shareholders in a pay per view platform which requires decent broadband (not a thing in much of rural Ireland) and they are hailing it as the future of the sport and a fantastic moment. Never mind the license fee payers though.