Channel 4-Owned Music Channels Pres

Looks like time's up for the Channel 4 music channels as The Box is set to close on Saturday 8th June according to the eir TV EPG here in Ireland.

The last show on the Box before closure is listed as The Box: 1992-2024. All listings on the Box from 8th of June are blank.

[-] The following 1 user Likes TVenthusiasm's post:
  • callumwatchestelly

As per MB on X, looks like Magic is the first to go on 7th June with the others in the days following, interestingly on Virgin at this point Magic still has listings past the 7th

For me The Box closing is an end of an era, we got Videotron (later Cable & Wireless) around 96/97 and around this time I was in my early teens so this is where I watched a lot of the music videos and found lots of songs that I know and I used to actually request them as it was free to call as our house phone was through the cable provider. I’ll be sad to see it go, but these channels were on borrowed time, we knew that once C4 announced cuts they’d be the first to go.
[-] The following 3 users Like Bennyboy84's post:
  • DJ Dave, fanoftv, Transmission

I used to phone it constantly as well, as it was free on Diamond Cable too. Then they closed down the local version at the end of 1999 and moved to the Sky version and an 0891 number.

If they're closing, they should throw out a lot of old Box Tops, Box Fresh, Box Talks etc 😁

(26-05-2024, 06:03 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  As per MB on X, looks like Magic is the first to go on 7th June with the others in the days following, interestingly on Virgin at this point Magic still has listings past the 7th

He seems to have assumed that the date tribute programmes start on each channel is the date they close down, which doesn't seem to be correct. DigiGuide listings for the Box Plus channels continue until at least 15th June.

(26-05-2024, 09:42 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I used to phone it constantly as well, as it was free on Diamond Cable too. Then they closed down the local version at the end of 1999 and moved to the Sky version and an 0891 number.

If they're closing, they should throw out a lot of old Box Tops, Box Fresh, Box Talks etc 😁

I’d love to see the old branding again, that would be quite the send off Smile

(27-05-2024, 12:20 PM)Bennyboy84 Wrote:  I’d love to see the old branding again, that would be quite the send off Smile

Didn't they use the old graphics for something recently or have I just made that up?

For the Box's 30th birthday, but it was only a single old ident used.
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • Larry the Loafer

That’s why I’m hoping they give us the old idents, DOG etc while its showing the final batch of programming

Sadly I doubt it, these send offs are usually non events these days. Will probably just drop off air mid video with no ceremony, sadly.