BBC/ITV/Sky Elections Coverage

(27-06-2024, 05:20 PM)Luc Wrote:  i mean that's a little unfair. no harm in being mildly critical of the programming on the UK's premier channel and if pointless opining was outlawed i'm not sure what this forum would be comprised of? Spin room post-debate is usually reserved for news channels and an audience of politics geeks so it was notable to see it on BBC1, that's all

I’m not sure the general public is as excited by or even in favour of the concept of a ‘spin room’

I would have thought the public would find spin a bit tiresome, but Laura was excited like it was Christmas Day
[-] The following 6 users Like Andrew's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, leewilliams, Luc, Stuart, UTVLifer

(27-06-2024, 06:18 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Dont mind if it's genuine but with some posters it feels disingenuous. They're only complaining there's too much election coverage on the BBC because they can't complain there's not enough. Somewhere in the multiverse they're arguing the opposite.
I wasn’t being disingenuous at all; I genuinely believe there has been too much election TV coverage. We’ve had something like, what, 25 plus formal televised events (on all channels) over six weeks plus the daily news channel drumbeat of campaign events…how much more informed do people feel as a result? I’d wager not very much - and with entrants like The Sun doing their own leader interviews, many of these shows feel like they’ve been organised for brand enhancement and/or aggrandisement rather than any great service to democracy.

The point stands: a spin room is simply not good primetime viewing on BBC1. It’s news channel fodder. That is my view, you are very welcome to disagree as you have already done.
[-] The following 4 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, chrisherald, JJJJ

(27-06-2024, 01:30 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Also during the 74 elections they keep pointing out that results are on BBC2, telling you they're up to certain letters. Would be interested to see what they actually looked like, but I'm guessing there's no surviving recordings. Presumably it's just the same graphics we see on the main coverage backed by test card music, but it would have been interesting to see.

This is the Genome listing genome.ch.bbc.co.uk 

Quote:Results Round-up
In alphabetical order each of the 400 results so far with all the details
- candidates, votes and totals, who has lost his deposit, which former MPs have failed to get back and, wherever possible, the swing to Lab or Con.
On-screen announcements on BBC1 will tell you when your constituency is about to come up Repeat starts 8.15 am

It looks like the BBC1 graphics were generated by the Anchor equipment; the this article from 1972 suggests that it was capable of interfacing with other systems, so presumably a second set of kit could have produced the BBC2 programme. www.bbceng.info 

What it would have been keyed over and what the audio would have been is an interesting point. Possibly a clean, graphic-free feed of the BBC1 programme? Or a generic background with Radio 4's coverage?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • chrisherald

(27-06-2024, 07:51 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  I wasn’t being disingenuous at all; I genuinely believe there has been too much election TV coverage. We’ve had something like, what, 25 plus formal televised events (on all channels) over six weeks plus the daily news channel drumbeat of campaign events…how much more informed do people feel as a result? I’d wager not very much - and with entrants like The Sun doing their own leader interviews, many of these shows feel like they’ve been organised for brand enhancement and/or aggrandisement rather than any great service to democracy.

The point stands: a spin room is simply not good primetime viewing on BBC1. It’s news channel fodder. That is my view, you are very welcome to disagree as you have already done.

Well that news channel fodder rated better than Doctor Who did on Saturday night and even some pre election midweek shows that weren't up against the euros. Also, it's just a few bloody weeks and nobody is forcing you to watch every second of it. If you're really that desperate for a sitcom repeat stick iplayer on. Or just go out and get some fresh air and yell at clouds.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • London Lite, Reith85

Away from the BBC1 argument surely the point of PSB broadcasting is to cut through the spin, not amplify it.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, LargelyALurker, leewilliams, UTVLifer

(27-06-2024, 08:23 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Away from the BBC1 argument surely the point of PSB broadcasting is to cut through the spin, not amplify it.

Ideally yeah, but that went out the window when these awful debates were introduced in the first place.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • Luc

(27-06-2024, 08:20 PM)Kim Wexler’s Ponytail Wrote:  Well that news channel fodder rated better than Doctor Who did on Saturday night and even some pre election midweek shows that weren't up against the euros. Also, it's just a few bloody weeks and nobody is forcing you to watch every second of it. If you're really that desperate for a sitcom repeat stick iplayer on. Or just go out and get some fresh air and yell at clouds.
I reply in a civil way to your post, you hurl insults back. Learn to argue your poorly made points properly.

(27-06-2024, 07:17 PM)James2001 Wrote:  Ooh, this looks interesting, looks like ITN will be streaming a load of their old election coverage on election night…

Another teaser to get us in the mood…

youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • James2001, Rxtx

(27-06-2024, 08:44 PM)leewilliams Wrote:  I reply in a civil way to your post, you hurl insults back. Learn to argue your poorly made points properly.

I pointed out that what you call news channel fodder rated better than than some recent regular primetime telly. I don't know what more can be done to argue that maybe there is a sizable audience for it whether you like it or not.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Kim Wexler’s Ponytail's post:
  • chrisherald

(27-06-2024, 08:52 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Another teaser to get us in the mood…

youtube.com 

Robert Kee did the 74 elections then, when Alastair had buggered off to the BBC. Before doing TV-am's coverage in 83.