UEFA Euro 2024

(15-06-2024, 09:03 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  BBC coverage is available in HD HDR on iPlayer. Only mentioned at half time in tonight’s game. Shame no UHD, but at least the benefits of 1080p and HDR are available.

Looks quite good.

No BBC DOG either. The UHD coverage of the past (and on things like Doctor Who) usually had a bigger DOG, so a nice bonus.
Around 65 seconds delay for me, so around the same delay as the UHD coverage in Qatar.

The BBC logo on the iPlayer stream has moved from the top left to the top right to avoid the usual scoreboard and logo clash. It's only taken them 16 years to fix it!
[-] The following 3 users Like TV Insider's post:
  • AndrewP, DeMarkay, RhysJR

Maybe it was already said, but the yellow BBC logo doesn`t work great on the scoreboard. It should be white.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Lec_Ver16's post:
  • JT95

(15-06-2024, 09:03 PM)News Engineer Wrote:  BBC coverage is available in HD HDR on iPlayer. Only mentioned at half time in tonight’s game. Shame no UHD, but at least the benefits of 1080p and HDR are available.

When you say HD HDR, do you mean 1080i or 1080p?

(15-06-2024, 10:13 PM)thegeek Wrote:  When you say HD HDR, do you mean 1080i or 1080p?
1080p, don’t think iPlayer offers 1080i? (Apart from the catch up stuff on Sky boxes.)

It’s all progressive on digital platforms I think.

Some ratings news from the opening day.

Germany v. Scotland got an average of 9.1 million viewers across ITV and STV, with a peak of 10.4 million.

x.com 

On STV, the match was the most watched programme in Scotland this year, with a peak of 1.38 million viewers. It also became the most streamed football match ever on STV Player, curiously overtaking an England match (the Euro 2020 semi-final).
news.stv.tv 

Over in Germany, a bumper audience of 22.5 million watched via ZDF, far, bar bigger than any viewing figures from the 2022 World Cup. A home tournament (versus the questionable background of Qatar) plus the potentially rising fortunes of the national team the likely reasons there.

x.com 

On the official website, games are being displayed as being broadcast in the UK on the BBC and ITV and 'Telstra'. The BBC/ITV are hyperkinks to the respective homepages, though the Telstra is just text without a related link.
I'm aware Tesltra is an Australian telecommunications company, but I can't understand any connection for them to appear there.

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

Thought it was probably worth differentiating - the BBC One programme may have been produced in P, but I'm fairly sure it'll have been converted to I for linear playout, and back to P again for iPlayer. The HDR version will have stayed as native P all the way.
[-] The following 3 users Like thegeek's post:
  • AndrewP, IanJRedman, News Engineer

(15-06-2024, 10:37 PM)harshy Wrote:  It’s all progressive on digital platforms I think.

When Streaming, yes. Interlaced basically does not exist on the internet.

Traditional digital broadcast TV is 1080i though.

(16-06-2024, 02:38 PM)ASnep Wrote:  When Streaming, yes. Interlaced basically does not exist on the internet.

And part of the problem is on most streaming services interlaced content is converted to 25/30p instead of 50/60p.

Though the iPlayer, which we're discussing actually does do it properly.