Paris 2024 Summer Olympics

Has anyone got a list of how much access FTA broadcasters across Europe have for these games? The links provided on the below are either vague, give no detail or suggest that broadcasters have a potentailly worse detail than the BBC? NOS in The Netherlands and RTP in Portugal for example I think only have one stream, whilst broadcasters like YLE in Finland and ARD/ZDF in Germany might be unable to air some events at all (YLE couldn't show Finnish ice hockey games in Beijing).
I think ARD/ZDF had a decent amount of streams in Beijing (six or so possibly), but if they lose access to some notable events (I can't remeber them being restricted at all in Beijing), you can argue if their deal is better than what the UK gets. An obvious positive from what the BBC have got (so obvious that it shouldn't be mentioned) is that they can show whatever they like and are not prevented from showing something like track cycling that will be popular with casuals and Eurosport subscribers.

en.wikipedia.org 

(28-06-2024, 11:51 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  And some of them had different audio to the sports they were showing. Really was quite poor and would have probably been easier for them to let the BBC have half a dozen streams or so and handle the linear additional output whilst having the streaming rights themselves.

I would guess those won't appear this time with it all just being via Discovery+. Last time I had the channels via Amazon Prime and Eurosport Player, which I could only watch via the laptop as the smart TV app had stopped working months prior. I cancelled after that and haven't had Discovery+ at all since but will probably for the games. Even if I mainly watch the BBC live events in Paris will finish around 9pm so probably catch up on other things then, assuming that is possible.

The Eurosport streaming experience was a bit of a mess in 2021 wasn't it. I generally have found it more than palatable when using it in the years since, especially there is now a Discovery+ app on my TV following the arrival of TNT Sports, which functions far better than the Fire Stick equivalent did. verything has usually worked well and navigation is fine. Though, there will be far more riding on no commentary appearing in the swimming session of the Olympics than a commntary glitch in the Crans Montana Super-G.

Just a general piece of advice to anyone, go straight to Discovery+ over the Amazon channel - it is far better run and easier to navigate.

With catching up on some events, it's a shame that there is no possibility of th BBC afternoon extended highlighs shows that we have had in recent Games. This is purely down to time zones of course, but that programme was really great in seeing some events in more depth that you might have missed or glossed over during the busy periods.

(28-06-2024, 11:51 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Exactly. IMO Thomas Bach has been a disaster for the IOC, taking coverage away from free to air TV in it's European heartland and also making a mess of the bidding process by basically taking it behind closed doors. Brisbane 2032 is basically a retirement present for an Aussie IOC member and they're currently looking at building a temporary athletics stadium smaller than what Birmingham had for the Commonwealth Games.

Business wise as is so often the case the short term gain is usually short sighted. We saw with the BBC how they basically ended up paying Discovery more for less (though as you say a bad deal on the BBC's part) - but it just shows that it's likely had the IOC gone directly to the EBU and PSBs they could have made more money themselves rather than gifted the profit to Discovery.

Going off topic, but Thomas Bach has just been a disaster on many levels. The bidding process did need to be made cheaper, but the Brisbane decision hasn't worked out well. The faliure to deal with Russain issues adequately, and now possibly removing the term limit of an IOC President that some members were mooting last year - it is all very inadequate. At least they haven't gone full sportswashing like FIFA yet, with no dodgy regime hosting an Olympics until at least 2036, bar Beijing 2022 (who beat Kazakhstan in the bidding process). I will add that jacques Rogge's era does feel like it was far less stormy and easier to navigate as the President (his 'controversies' section on Wikipedia lists internet censorship during Beijing 2008, him complaining about Usain Bolt's celebrations and no minute silence for the Munich massacre in 2012 - it's hardly a pandemic, invasion in Europe and state sponsored doping of the Bach era).

Back on topic, the Bach era's effect on the actual events is a bit more debatable and possibly favourable. Climbing and Skateboarding got rave reviews in 2021, and with another youth oreintated sport in Breaking being added for this year, how much extra interest has been generated in younger audiences. Their attempts at competitive esports have been poor though.
[-] The following 5 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie, Edogawa Ranpo, Jeff, JosiahStuart, UTVLifer

(28-06-2024, 11:51 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Exactly. IMO Thomas Bach has been a disaster for the IOC, taking coverage away from free to air TV in it's European heartland and also making a mess of the bidding process by basically taking it behind closed doors. Brisbane 2032 is basically a retirement present for an Aussie IOC member and they're currently looking at building a temporary athletics stadium smaller than what Birmingham had for the Commonwealth Games.

Business wise as is so often the case the short term gain is usually short sighted. We saw with the BBC how they basically ended up paying Discovery more for less (though as you say a bad deal on the BBC's part) - but it just shows that it's likely had the IOC gone directly to the EBU and PSBs they could have made more money themselves rather than gifted the profit to Discovery.

The Bach era has been a disaster on many levels, with the IOC shoving the European PSBs to one side of in favour of a big deal with Discovery, but particularly with the new bidding process.

Back in 2017, there was two sets of games handed out at once (2024 and 2028), which went to France and the US, and now we’re about to see the same again in the next few weeks with the 2030 and 2034 Winter Games all-but set to go to the French Alps and Salt Lake City, not exactly great for the long-term sustainability of the games.

And with the removal of the 7 year limit for approving hosts before the games, whilst yes it allows LA28 and Brisbane 2032 more time to prepare, but it now also leaves the French Government with less than 6 years to prepare for hosting the 2030 Winters (assuming it’d all rubber-stamped as expected at the upcoming IOC session) not long after hosting an expensive summer games in Paris
[-] The following 4 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • Brekkie, Edogawa Ranpo, Jeff, RhysJR

(28-06-2024, 12:47 AM)Transmission Wrote:  Here's the BBC press release, complete with the trailer:
www.bbc.co.uk 

The trailer seems to be missing from the press release now but is on YouTube. Not seen it on TV yet.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

(29-06-2024, 12:52 AM)RhysJR Wrote:  Has anyone got a list of how much access FTA broadcasters across Europe have for these games?

Just scanning through the media updates thread on the Gamesbids forum - not always easy to work out as I think some things are lost in translation and channels with less rughts than previously try to oversell what they do have but though 1 channel + 1 stream is the starting point there are exceptions - looks like Denmark has an extra stream and Germany once again has 10 extra streams, pledging to cover all finals events and all German participation.

Worth remembering whilst the BBC panicked and struck a poor deal for more money ARD and ZDF were the ones that held out when Discovery won the rights to the point where Discovery announced plans for free to air coverage of their own via Eurosport and in the end struck a very good deal.

France TV had a decent offering in 2020 (as like the BBC they had the rights for 2020, but the BBC gave up all but the one extra stream) but sadly only seem to get the two streams for their home games at a time when they probably really need a moment like the BBC had in 2012 as the political landscape shifts and the threat of privatisation looms.

Does seem that on the continent at least Eurosport will have an extra 7 channels again as in Tokyo so they may be available here again.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR, UTVLifer

I think in general the extra linear Eurosport channels are the Multi Distribution Streams (MDS) from OBS, with Eurosport commentary if they're doing it, or World Feed Comms if not. It gives them a decent range of sports but not everything live, and also not necessarily the sports that might be of particular interest to the territories they're being broadcast to.
[-] The following 4 users Like thegeek's post:
  • Brekkie, Jeff, RhysJR, UTVLifer

(Yesterday, 09:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The trailer seems to be missing from the press release now but is on YouTube. Not seen it on TV yet.

youtu.be 

It was broadcast at the end of the Euros game on Saturday evening at 7.15pm on BBC One.