UEFA Euro 2024

(17-06-2024, 06:08 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  Is RTÉ's coverage blocked in Northern Ireland? As I don't think the BBC's coverage is blocked in the Republic of Ireland?

RTE’s coverage is blocked on Saorsat, but I don’t know know about Sky/VM/Freeview in NI.

The BBC’s coverage is not blocked in the Republic of Ireland.
[-] The following 3 users Like Rdd's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, JACKLUFC1998

The end of the Belgium v. Slovakia match a fantastic example of why Christina Unkel is an asset to the ITV team. She was able to clearly explain the law and official interpretation surrounding the second disallowed goal. This meant that there was no way for the studio to argue against the decision, and left the viewers with a good understanding of what the officials were thinking.

Liked the handover from Mark Pougatch to Laura Woods as well. Something more often seen at an Olympics than the football.

(17-06-2024, 10:54 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  And presumably the BBC included highlights of the earlier matches within their live coverage too.

I don't think they actually have yet. All I can remember is Gary saying that they are available on the BBC Sport website. Would rather have the goals shown in brief or at half-time personally, as was generally the caese in orevious tournaments.

(17-06-2024, 10:54 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  See also the BBC highlights on Thursday of the England game, live on BBC1 at 5pm, are shunted to BBC2 at 11.05pm with The Outlaws airing at 10.40pm on BBC1.

This is presumably beacuse of the extended Question Time Leaders Special disrupting the schedule.

(17-06-2024, 07:43 PM)Rdd Wrote:  RTE’s coverage is blocked on Saorsat, but I don’t know know about Sky/VM/Freeview in NI.

The BBC’s coverage is not blocked in the Republic of Ireland.

Yes, RTE 2 is blocked on Freeview in Northern Ireland during the football.

(17-06-2024, 08:38 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The end of the Belgium v. Slovakia match a fantastic example of why Christina Unkel is an asset to the ITV team. She was able to clearly explain the law and official interpretation surrounding the second disallowed goal. This meant that there was no way for the studio to argue against the decision, and left the viewers with a good understanding of what the officials were thinking.

Shows how bad Peter Walton was in that role who basically waited and said I agree with the referee, agree Christina Unkel been an asset for ITV
[-] The following 2 users Like NI92's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR

(16-06-2024, 11:44 PM)Andrew Wrote:  No, and it always sounds daft when they say the likes of “Lots of football across the BBC tomorrow, France vs Spain is on BBC One from 4pm, you can listen to England vs Germany on Radio Five Live and we will have highlights at 10:40” as if that’s the only way to see the second match

As it’s now less BBC vs ITV and more Traditional Linear Broadcasters vs Pay TV & Streamers, I think it’s time to directly mention the other channel

I fully agree with that comment that it sounds daft when on the BBC they say "A vs B is on BBC One from 4pm and then you can listen to X vs Y on 5Live and then the highlights at 10.40pm", when they know full well its either on BBC or ITV. What they should say is "if you're out and about and cannot access a TV screen, then you can listen to X vs Y of 5Live", especially as both BBC and ITV have their own streaming platforms.

Another thing; although I don't hear it too much to be honest, but people from one broadcaster should stop referring to another broadcaster as "the other side", as if they're implying they're the only networks in town, though there would be a number of other broadcasters covering the same product.

(17-06-2024, 07:20 PM)newsjunkie Wrote:  Interesting that Laura Woods is covering ITV's prime time game tonight, while Mark Pougatch covered the earlier game. Wonder if they may have a bit more of an even share of the best games this tournament.

Don't think many people would be surprised if there is a switch by the time of next World Cup or maybe Euros. Bit of surprise that ITV have stuck with Mark for so long considering their history.

More like the penny finally dropping for ITV; you have a competent and excellent presenter, so stick with him. There is nothing gained when you keep chopping and changing presenters, regardless of a presenter from a rival channel becoming available (unless the incumbent presenter leaves on their own steam). And as for Laura Woods taking over from Pougatch (within the next 4 years), I echo a sentiment on the same subject on a rival forum; it would be too early to pension off Pougatch.

Mentioning ITV, I wonder how a certain former ITV Head of Sport feels when he sees the likes of Laura Woods, Lynsey Hipgrave, Kelly Cates, Jules Breach become prominent football presenters...
[-] The following 1 user Likes Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Jeff

Bit of rarity today in Germany with ARD and ZDF showing a game each. Usually they alternate days when covering major events, but somehow today the 17:00 kick-off was shown on ZDF and the 20:00 on Das Erste (with the 14:00 kick-off on MagentaTV & RTL). It's not totally unheard of for the two broadcasters to show live sport on the same day (e.g. the Tour de France is exclusive to ARD) but an odd occasion when they both show the same event on the same day. A bit hard to grasp that not every game is FTA in the host nation either.

In the US, there has been some anger that FOX has sublet five games to streaming service FuboTV. The only way to access these games is via signing up for at least a month at the cost of at least $79! For context, previous rights holders ESPN's streaming option (ESPN+) is $9.99 a month, and the Spanish streaming option in the US, Vix, is $6.99 a month.

And to add insult to injury, on Saturday, FOX Sports 1 showed angling over Hungary v. Switzerland. And, as I think we have gathered by the virtue of different broadcasters having differing scoreboards, the core world feed doesn't carry a scoreboard burnt in, so Fubo viewers were without a clock and score for the whole game. Farcical.

x.com 

awfulannouncing.com 

Admin edit: mock-up material removed.

Surely everyone knows that "commentary on 5 Live" is code for "watch it on another channel"?
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • bkman1990, fusionlad

I suspect it's the annual commitment of the Six Nations keeping him on their books that has seen Mark Pougatch host 5 tournaments in a row. I take it Hugh Woozencroft isn't involved in the football.

Will be interesting to see who fronts the football league games - I suspect Hugh will do most of them but Mark come in for the semi finals and final of the League Cup. The final though does sometimes clash with the Six Nations, though I think they often schedule France v Italy that day when it does, which under the current terms ITV would show. If they clash hopefully they can do a deal with the BBC to take that match rather than shunt it to ITV4.

(18-06-2024, 11:25 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  I take it Hugh Woozencroft isn't involved in the football.
He's part of Talksport's coverage team in Germany.
[-] The following 3 users Like News Engineer's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, London Lite