Eurovision Song Contest 2024

(07-05-2024, 10:42 AM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Last night's rehearsal/jury show gave us our first look at many things, including this year's green room. Wow!

x.com 

That reminds me of the 2011 contest in Düsseldorf, and its reveal of the green room, but with the screens opening the other way.

youtu.be 

(07-05-2024, 11:13 AM)JamieMurph25 Wrote:  Except, juries aren't voting in both semi-finals this year, only on Friday where the Big 5 (United Kingdom, France, Spain, Germany and Italy), last year's winning country (Sweden) and the 20 acts from the 2 semi-finals perform.

Whilst that's true the juries still vote during that rehearsal in the event that they need to be used as back-ups, much like they did before 2009.

Tempted to vote for Luxembourg tonight just so I can here Graham say "You have voted for Luxembourg" for the first time!
[-] The following 3 users Like gottago's post:
  • Happy2001, Stuart, UTVLifer

Considered me intrigued - could it, possibly, be the ABBAtars?

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • Happy2001

The wording makes me think of Abba Voyage. Which apart from some brief clips I don’t think has been shown on TV to any decent extent.

(07-05-2024, 04:40 PM)Jon Wrote:  The wording makes me think of Abba Voyage. Which apart from some brief clips I don’t think has been shown on TV to any decent extent.

Which would line up with what Af Sillen said in his and Petra's interview with official Podcast
youtu.be 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • Happy2001

(07-05-2024, 12:32 PM)AxG Wrote:  That reminds me of the 2011 contest in Düsseldorf, and its reveal of the green room, but with the screens opening the other way.

youtu.be 

Indeed - this was first attempted in Riga, Latvia 2003. Obviously no fancy LED back then - they just rolled up the black cloth with star light effects on it to show them sat behind the stage. I remember being wowed as it had never been done before and was a complete surprise. I think that may have been the first time where the green room was actually in the auditorium itself and not in a room backstage. Weirdly, it wasn't done again until Dusseldorf 2011 but having the green room in the auditorium in some form has generally been a common feature for most years since (Malmo 2013 and Israel 2019 being the exception due to limited space).

youtu.be 

I suppose it's a better compromise than last time it was held in Malmo Arena - having them in another conference room and then walking across the elevated walkway felt a bit awkward in 2013. A slight shame they can't quite get the atmosphere you get with the fans literally every side of you and the chance for them to interact as the show goes on. However, at least they'll see the audience faces and hear the atmosphere.
[-] The following 2 users Like Earlie37's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer

Well despite my earlier reservations, it’s all looking rather fabulous so far. Arena looks incredible. The hosts are very good as well.

Does the coverage for this year's contest look very filmic to the rest of you guys in the UK?

I am getting that look when I'm watching the Irish commentary feed on RTÉ One tonight.
[-] The following 2 users Like bkman1990's post:
  • Nige, UTVLifer

(07-05-2024, 08:16 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Does the coverage for this year's contest look very filmic to the rest of you guys in the UK?

I am getting that look when I'm watching the Irish commentary feed on RTÉ One tonight.

I just came here to post the same thing, watching on BBC One.
[-] The following 1 user Likes radiorebel's post:
  • DeMarkay

All is well in the world when Petra Mede makes a return to the Eurovision stage.

Unless my telly is on the blink, I thought the 3 opening acts could've done with a bit more welly on their mics. I could hardly hear them.
[-] The following 4 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • bkman1990, chaose, GMc, UTVLifer