Eurovision Song Contest 2024

Almost all of the performances are being filmed in the letterbox format like Tattoo was last year

France and the UK are among the only exceptions

(07-05-2024, 08:16 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  All is well in the world when Petra Mede makes a return to the Eurovision stage.

Unless my telly is on the blink, I thought the 3 opening acts could've done with a bit more welly on their mics. I could hardly hear them.

It's so nice to see Petra again. The crowd in the arena went wild for her, and I'm glad Malin did get a cheer too when she introduced herself.
[-] The following 4 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, Gary McEwan, Jayesyn, Juicy Joe

(07-05-2024, 08:17 PM)UTVLifer Wrote:  Almost all of the performances are being filmed in the letterbox format like Tattoo was last year

France and the UK are among the only exceptions

It's so nice to see Petra again. The crowd in the arena went wild for her, and I'm glad Malin did get a cheer too when she introduced herself.

I think there would've been outrage at SVT if Petra wasn't there. It really couldn't of been anyone else.
[-] The following 4 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • DeMarkay, Jayesyn, Juicy Joe, UTVLifer

Petra, for me, IS Eurovision. She is undoubtedly one of the best hosts of the last decade. Her pairing with Måns Zelmerlöw in 2016 was inspired.
[-] The following 3 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • GMc, Jayesyn, UTVLifer

Well erm....Ireland?! Have they thought to hell with it and let's go for broke?
[-] The following 6 users Like Gary McEwan's post:
  • bkman1990, David, DeMarkay, Jayesyn, Nige, UTVLifer

(07-05-2024, 08:27 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  Well erm....Ireland?! Have they thought to hell with it and let's go for broke?

Absolutely! It seems like RTÉ have FINALLY put effort and CASH into their staging this year. It makes a change, and I hope they get to the final.
[-] The following 3 users Like DeMarkay's post:
  • bkman1990, Michael 18, UTVLifer

The filmic effect is truly awful. Every Pres Café member should be outraged.
[-] The following 3 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • JamieD, Nige, TVFan

(07-05-2024, 08:16 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  Does the coverage for this year's contest look very filmic to the rest of you guys in the UK?

I am getting that look when I'm watching the Irish commentary feed on RTÉ One tonight.
Yep, someone at SVT has decided it needs to be in 25p.
[-] The following 2 users Like News Engineer's post:
  • bilky asko, bkman1990

I've heard our entry on numerous times and I just cannot get to liking it at all.

It's that old age question again, when are the BBC going to wake up and take a look at how the rest of Europe are doing it?

If RTE can fling caution to the wind for a change, then surely we can?

The DVE moves during Olly Alexander's performance are particularly obvious, as they don't have the filmic effect applied to them.

(07-05-2024, 08:35 PM)Gary McEwan Wrote:  I've heard our entry on numerous times and I just cannot get to liking it at all.

It's that old age question again, when are the BBC going to wake up and take a look at how the rest of Europe are doing it?

If RTE can fling caution to the wind for a change, then surely we can?

We did with Engelbert Humperdinck 🤣