Channel 4-Owned Music Channels Pres

An old edition of Box Tops or Breaking Out Of The Box 😁

(28-06-2024, 07:54 PM)frasergj Wrote:  Be nice if there was something special for the close but I suspect we would've seen it by now.

How about an entire month of special presentation, send off programmes and a nostalgic playlist to boot?

Compare this to the likes of MTV, Global and Trace where the best we've had when they binned off their channels, some of which had been on air for decades, was a vaguely poignant final video played out (or crashed out of) and barely a mention on air.

We've been spoilt.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 6 users Like WillPS's post:
  • bilky asko, ethanjbrady, Jeff, Joe, Transmission, TVFan

See the NOW channels are the main beneficiary of the subsequent EPG changes. Are there any music channels in HD?

Have to wonder if we're seeing the demise of the music video - obviously still released online but very rare they grab the attention now in the way they once did and more often it's tour clips that go viral. Arguably music has gone back to prioritising performing over promoting.

(29-06-2024, 12:00 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  Are there any music channels in HD?

MTV Live. But it's only on Virgin Media.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com
[-] The following 1 user Likes WillPS's post:
  • Brekkie

(28-06-2024, 11:44 PM)WillPS Wrote:  How about an entire month of special presentation, send off programmes and a nostalgic playlist to boot?

Compare this to the likes of MTV, Global and Trace where the best we've had when they binned off their channels, some of which had been on air for decades, was a vaguely poignant final video played out (or crashed out of) and barely a mention on air.

We've been spoilt.

Agree totally, I've loved every minute of the last month, particularly The Box.

I meant some more old pres/idents and other things like that dropped in - but we would've seen it by now if that was the case.
[-] The following 1 user Likes frasergj's post:
  • WillPS

Just remembered about Virgin Media Go so I can keep watching the channel when I don't have access to the downstairs TV... completely forgot about that, wish I'd remembered the last couple of weeks.

Point Break's "You" is still in my music collection and I've just had a listen and was instantly transported back to 2000! The Box was essential viewing (listening?) for me growing up so I lament its demise but looking back it was very much a product of the time.

(29-06-2024, 10:45 PM)Isonstine Wrote:  Point Break's "You" is still in my music collection

Wink

And another piece of Box history:

They did put the uncut version out at night for a while... then it went out during the day a couple of times and they stopped it appearing at all.

They had a similar caption for Eminem's Stan for a while too (though I don't have a copy of that) with a post-watershed restriction on the end portion with Dido in the car boot (they'd moved to the new system by then which I guess they'd decided was less likely to mess up there)... until they decided that was fine to put out even during the day. Though even when it was restricted to post-watershed it was still a heavily edited and sanitised version of the video (though MTV ran, and still do run, an even more censored- but longer- version of the video than The Box did- I have recordings of both versions).
[-] The following 3 users Like James2001's post:
  • Allanbuzzy, Larry the Loafer, WillPS

I wonder why they went to the extent of making that caption for Rock DJ instead of just showing the edited version of the video and pretending that was what the official video was. I didn't know for a while after it was released that it had a more, shall we say, elaborate ending.

OK, this thread has unlocked another Box related memory. The Parade - "Terrorize the Dance Floor" had lots of airplay on The Box but the song and the group disappeared seemingly without trace. Some searching tells me that the song was never released but that's contradicted by stories of the single being withdrawn.

An early example of 'cancel culture'? Wink Either way, it's another one that's in my music cavalcade but only come to light after searching for other 2000 songs.