BBC Radio 1

Wasn't sure quite where to put this, but the service ID labels for stations on the BBC National DAB multiplex have been tweaked slightly, removing a space after "Radio". So they've gone from BBC Radio 1, BBC Radio 2 etc, to BBC Radio1, BBC Radio2 and so on. I wonder why?
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • AndrewP, LargelyALurker

They have also changed the FM RDS from RADIO1 to BBC R1 in line with the other services. (Definitely deliberate and not a fault condition falling back to static RDS)
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • AndrewP, IanJRedman

It makes sense to bring Radio 1 back in line with the others again and promote the BBC name on FM. It was always a silly idea to change it in the first place. I think this happened back in the late 90s when Radio 1 had the ridiculous policy of avoiding mentioning the BBC because they didn’t think it sounded cool.

The change on DAB is odd though. Could this just be part of some engineering tests, or maybe this points to the upcoming new Radio 2 spin-off station having a longer name which requires the space to be removed to fit it in?

(05-06-2024, 04:33 PM)Spencer Wrote:  It makes sense to bring Radio 1 back in line with the others again and promote the BBC name on FM. It was always a silly idea to change it in the first place. I think this happened back in the late 90s when Radio 1 had the ridiculous policy of avoiding mentioning the BBC because they didn’t think it sounded cool.

The change on DAB is odd though. Could this just be part of some engineering tests, or maybe this points to the upcoming new Radio 2 spin-off station having a longer name which requires the space to be removed to fit it in?

R1 also had a phase when the station was being launched on FM of being called "1FM" instead of Radio 1. Although you'd still hear the occasional BBC Radio 1.

(05-06-2024, 06:10 PM)London Lite Wrote:  R1 also had a phase when the station was being launched on FM of being called "1FM" instead of Radio 1.  Although you'd still hear the occasional BBC Radio 1.
Was this used for simulcasts of 'Top of the Pops' when stereo was yet to be implemented to TV broadcast on BBC One until 1991?

(05-06-2024, 06:10 PM)London Lite Wrote:  R1 also had a phase when the station was being launched on FM of being called "1FM" instead of Radio 1. Although you'd still hear the occasional BBC Radio 1.

Indeed. It returned to being Radio 1 on the day Chris Evans took over the breakfast show. I remember at the time it seemed strange hearing it referred to as that again – almost a bit retro.

Radio 1 is moving to a summer schedule with the Breakfast show running later into the morning.

radiotoday.co.uk 

What caught my attention was that Friday early breakfast is going to be coming from BBC Cardiff, at the same time as Owain Wyn Evans is doing Radio 2's early breakfast show from Cardiff.

I'm surprised that they had the foresight to put more than one self-op studio for network into the new building

Doesn't show much faith in Ricky, Melvin and Charlie. A bit odd as well to stop the Early Breakfast guest hosts for six months - can't see them returning to that now.

When do the afternoon changes happen - assume Matt and Mollie have left weekends now as not been on the last couple of times I've listened in that slot.

(23-06-2024, 10:45 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Doesn't show much faith in Ricky, Melvin and Charlie. A bit odd as well to stop the Early Breakfast guest hosts for six months - can't see them returning to that now.

When do the afternoon changes happen - assume Matt and Mollie have left weekends now as not been on the last couple of times I've listened in that slot.

Monday 1st July - Arielle and Dean & Vicky have their last shows in their current slots this Thursday.

That’s also when the summer schedule will kick in.

On Friday 5th July Nat and Vicky will begin their new slot (and Greg will still finish at 10.30am on Fridays despite the time change for the rest of the week).

And still no news on who will be presenting the weekend 1-4pm slot, presumably from September. Must be someone notable given they’ve kept that under wraps.
[-] The following 1 user Likes iloveTV1's post:
  • Toby brown

(23-06-2024, 10:34 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  What caught my attention was that Friday early breakfast is going to be coming from BBC Cardiff, at the same time as Owain Wyn Evans is doing Radio 2's early breakfast show from Cardiff.

I'm surprised that they had the foresight to put more than one self-op studio for network into the new building

I don't know many self-op studios there are at Central Square (think there were three or four at Llandaff - known affectionately as 'POTS') but from what I recall being told on my first visit there, the general rule of thumb is that any studio in the building can be used by any network.

I would assume it's fairly easy for Cardiff to accommodate live shows for two UK networks and the three Welsh networks (including Radio Cymru 2) at the same time.

Ironically, Sam and Danni decamped to London when they were depping for Greg last week.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • UTVLifer