The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Interesting clip here of an alternative feed trialled during the Danish Cup final of a manager mode. I'm not quite sure that names on top of the players is that neccessary - that's surely the point of the numbers/names on the back of the shirts, and it's what the commentators do as well. The graphic with the player's positions I think I would like to see in person. Being able to look at the wider play is one of the biggest things missed from not being at the ground I think. Didn't BT Sport have that graphic as part of a cartoonish alternative mode if I remember?

x.com 

A few technical issues on the Diamond League from Doha today. Early on, commentator Tim Hutchings' mic appeared to have failed, meaning there was a few gaps of silence in the commentary of the women's 800m and the following field events, with only Steve Cram being heared. On the BBC Two feed, there was a graphic appologising for the sound issue, and voiceover presenter Sarah Mulkerrins also came back to voice an appology explaining the issue (I think this was a problem that affected all broadcasts not the BBC, as it was world feed commentary). The issue was resolved fairly quickly. I think the commentary is onsite for Diamond League events.

And during the final race, the full screen BBC Sport promo graphic briefly popped up a few minutes early.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • lookoutwales

I was reading a press release from NBC Sports about their horse racing schedule and briefly mentions the Royal Ascot. Now NBC Sports presentation usually has their own reporters/commentators roaming around such a Dylan Dryer from Today and NBC’s big board analyst Steve Kornacki. Obviously they couldn’t pull off this foreign event on their own.

NBC typically pulls racing footage from Sky Sports and a significant amount of commentary from ITV Sport.

I find it peculiar that NBC is using a “competitor” for their broadcasts, even if the competitor has no foothold in the US. The issue is mainly why not use their own assets.

It appears as I just looked back on peacock the first few days were straight Sky simulcasts. However on the big day almost everything was ITV- the course graphics all appeared to be theirs (were they feeding Sky Sports the same images?), a decent amount of VR elements over the grandstands was ITV, astons showing the lineup crawling across the screen (incidentally promoting SkyBet) and a significant amount of commentary came from them. NBC did cut their own thing for a decent part of every half hour. But Sky Sports didn’t have much visibility.

The BBC will be the FTA partner of the FA Cup from 2025-26 it has been officially confirmed. They will air 14 live games, two from each round plus a semi-final and the final, as well as highlights and digital clips. So far, almost exactly what they aired before 2021. But, no word on what strength pick the ties will be in the official press release.

If only they announced this a few months back, the FA would have made life far easier for themselves.

www.thefa.com 

(14-05-2024, 12:17 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The BBC will be the FTA partner of the FA Cup from 2025-26 it has been officially confirmed. They will air 14 live games, two from each round plus a semi-final and the final, as well as highlights and digital clips. So far, almost exactly what they aired before 2021. But, no word on what strength pick the ties will be in the official press release.

If only they announced this a few months back, the FA would have made life far easier for themselves.

www.thefa.com 

Well not really because we still don't know what matches the BBC will show, this season in the Quarter final TNT could have shown Man United V Liverpool and Man City V Newcastle leaving BBC with the scraps. in the Third round BBC could end up with something like Tottenham V Burnley and Gillingham V Sheffield United. Until the FA Confirm BBC can have the best matches then they don't make it easier

With five weeks to go, there is still no broadcaster agreed for England's opening summer rugby international away to Japan. Sky, who are showing the other England matches away to New Zealand, would be a sensible bet in my opinion, but I'm not sure if they would want to take it. The article also says that Sky will be covering the NZ v. England games remotely - not sure if that means commentary will be offtube, or like two years ago, commentary is onsite and the studio will be back in the UK for all matches.

On a similar point, I haven't seen any broadcaster confirmed for South Africa v. Wales in Twickenham in a few weeks. It's a South African home game, so it's quite possible it will be with Sky, like last year's Qatar Airways Cup v. New Zealand at Twickenham.

Also from below, still no deal in place for the Champions Cup next year...

www.thetimes.co.uk 

(14-05-2024, 12:17 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The BBC will be the FTA partner of the FA Cup from 2025-26 it has been officially confirmed. They will air 14 live games, two from each round plus a semi-final and the final, as well as highlights and digital clips. So far, almost exactly what they aired before 2021. But, no word on what strength pick the ties will be in the official press release.

www.thefa.com 

Also confirmed in the press release is that the 14 games the BBC shows will air "co-exclusively" with TNT Sports meaning that TNT will also show the games the BBC airs.
[-] The following 2 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR

(14-05-2024, 03:19 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Also confirmed in the press release is that the 14 games the BBC shows will air "co-exclusively" with TNT Sports meaning that TNT will also show the games the BBC airs.

Bit of a unique arrangement that isn't it? I don't imagine it would ever be a possibility for say ITV to be the 'terrestrial partner' in this scenario, there is no way they would want a commercial competitor taking a massive chunk of the advertising away.
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • AJB39

Didn't Sky subcontract some FTA rights to C4 for something (at really short notice) recently?

(14-05-2024, 06:41 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  Didn't Sky subcontract some FTA rights to C4 for something (at really short notice) recently?
F1 and cricket, with Amazon doing the same with the tennis.

The Hundred and England Cricket has a similar arrangement to this with Sky also showing the BBC matches. Think the new Super League deal is the same, as are the club rugby deals with TNT and ITV.

Now competitions are increasingly making all games available to broadcasters it seems the pay TV side feel they can sit alongside an FTA partner with having all matches, rather than one or two matches, bring the subscription driver.

And there we have it, BBC get 2nd and 4th picks according to the telegraph and the scraps, if the deal was the same we would have missed Manchester United V Liverpool. If there is a all Merseyside Darby or all Manchester Darby in the TNT deal they would go for that and FTA would miss out. Disgraceful from FA and TNT I hope they go out of business, terrible company