The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(14-05-2024, 10:04 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  And there we have it, BBC get 2nd and 4th picks according to the telegraph and the scraps, if the deal was the same we would have missed Manchester United V Liverpool. If there is a all Merseyside Darby or all Manchester Darby in the TNT deal they would go for that and FTA would miss out. Disgraceful from FA and TNT I hope they go out of business, terrible company
Blame the FA, they could have insisted they gave first pick to free to air. In fairness to TNT they’re only doing what any pay TV operator would do. I think FA had the upper hand, surely the value for TNT was being the only place that had every game and TNT needed it more with having a reduced amount of top level domestic football.

That all said if the deal is going to bring a lot more money into the smaller clubs it might be worth it for them.

I don’t understand how Discovery make pay TV Sport pay, considering they’re not using it as a loss leader for other services and BT didn’t see it as worthwhile staying (fully) in the game, when they could do that.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • strollfan

Alternating first picks should have been the minimum but to be fair the way the BBC usually go for the giant killing potential whilst the commercial broadcasters historically favour all-Premiership ties it might not make a huge difference until the quarter finals.

I hope the BBC are paying significantly less as a result though but we've seen before how sometimes they're so desperate to keep an event they will pay more for lesser rights.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, Jon

(14-05-2024, 10:13 PM)Jon Wrote:  Blame the FA, they could have insisted they gave first pick to free to air. In fairness to TNT they’re only doing what any pay TV operator would do. I think FA had the upper hand, surely the value for TNT was being the only place that had every game and TNT needed it more with having a reduced amount of top level domestic football.

That all said if the deal is going to bring a lot more money into the smaller clubs it might be worth it for them.

Its not going to bring in more money though, they have got rid of replays, they have got rid of the 1st picks. We might as well rename the FA Cup the TNT cup because that is what it is. And yes I will blame TNT, alot of posters on here were like wait until the deal and TNT might sell the first picks. Sorry but TNT are the worst company, worse then Sky used to be, at least Sky let Channel 4 show the Formula 1 live and the sold the England cricket world cup final to Channel 4. TNT have done nothing, they have bid for the FA Cup, taken the 1st pick away. I would bet that if a British tennis player got to the final of the french open they wouldn't even give that to free to air.

(14-05-2024, 10:19 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  And yes I will blame TNT, alot of posters on here were like wait until the deal and TNT might sell the first picks. Sorry but TNT are the worst company, worse then Sky used to be, at least Sky let Channel 4 show the Formula 1 live and the sold the England cricket world cup final to Channel 4. TNT have done nothing, they have bid for the FA Cup, taken the 1st pick away. I would bet that if a British tennis player got to the final of the french open they wouldn't even give that to free to air.
You don’t know whether it’s going to bring in more money or not, I don’t think rights fee has been mentioned? They are airing every single match live so that’ll presumbly demand a greater overall fee than ever before. The FA wouldn’t have agreed to this deal if it wasn’t the most financially lucrative option on the table. I wouldn’t be surprised if they sold the rights, given what’s been awarded for double than ever before.

But Sky didn’t give those things away for the goodness of their heart. They would have done so because there was a commercial reason to do so.

What Sky have done with F1 (and Cricket) is arguably worse than what TNT have done with the FA Cup. You get one free to air live race weekend per season for free and for one season they gave away a second race, when there was massive public pressure to do so and probably commercial incentives.
[-] The following 3 users Like Jon's post:
  • Brekkie, Jeff, strollfan

(14-05-2024, 10:19 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Its not going to bring in more money though, they have got rid of replays, they have got rid of the 1st picks. We might as well rename the FA Cup the TNT cup because that is what it is. And yes I will blame TNT, alot of posters on here were like wait until the deal and TNT might sell the first picks. Sorry but TNT are the worst company, worse then Sky used to be, at least Sky let Channel 4 show the Formula 1 live and the sold the England cricket world cup final to Channel 4. TNT have done nothing, they have bid for the FA Cup, taken the 1st pick away. I would bet that if a British tennis player got to the final of the french open they wouldn't even give that to free to air.

TNT have just on sold two matches per round of the tournament so you can't say they do nothing. Meanwhile Sky put in a knockout bid for exclusive rights to all F1 races before C4 had even shown their first race.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • News Engineer

(14-05-2024, 08:41 AM)rkolsen Wrote:  I was reading a press release from NBC Sports about their horse racing schedule and briefly mentions the Royal Ascot. Now NBC Sports presentation usually has their own reporters/commentators roaming around such a Dylan Dryer from Today and NBC’s big board analyst Steve Kornacki. Obviously they couldn’t pull off this foreign event on their own.

NBC typically pulls racing footage from Sky Sports and a significant amount of commentary from ITV Sport.

I find it peculiar that NBC is using a “competitor” for their broadcasts, even if the competitor has no foothold in the US. The issue is mainly why not use their own assets.

It appears as I just looked back on peacock the first few days were straight Sky simulcasts. However on the big day almost everything was ITV- the course graphics all appeared to be theirs (were they feeding Sky Sports the same images?), a decent amount of VR elements over the grandstands was ITV, astons showing the lineup crawling across the screen (incidentally promoting SkyBet) and a significant amount of commentary came from them. NBC did cut their own thing for a decent part of every half hour. But Sky Sports didn’t have much visibility.

Sky Sports Racing, I believe, do their own thing on the main day. I presume the ITV Racing coverage will have been chosen for the main day as it'll be more tailored to an international / casual audience than Sky Sports Racing's coverage.

Would Sky Sports be dipping into other meetings as well? I’d assume Sky Sports Racings coverage is a bit lower budget and bog standard?

I think ITV must have a mutual agreement with NBC, because when they have shown the Breeders Cup. They dip into NBC’s coverage that presumably goes out between their adverts.

(14-05-2024, 10:38 PM)Jon Wrote:  Would Sky Sports be dipping into other meetings as well? I’d assume Sky Sports Racings coverage is a bit lower budget and bog standard?

I think ITV must have a mutual agreement with NBC, because when they have shown the Breeders Cup. They dip into NBC’s coverage that presumably goes out between their adverts.

At the very least, they're missing presenters and pundits like Matt Chapman and Luke Harvey, who are be at ITV Racing for the duration.

And whilst I've not watched Sky Sports Racing's Ascot coverage in previous years, I'd be surprised if they weren't covering some other races that day as well.

On a semi-related note, Sky Sports Racing took a significant amount of Kentucky Derby coverage straight from NBC, though they had a presenter in the usual studio to cover some of the other US racing on at that time of the night once the main event had concluded.

And if you watch the Australian racing overnight, it's a straight feed of Sky Racing in Australia, with a silent slate covering the breaks (a channel that has nothing to do with Sky in the UK and never has, and is currently owned by Tabcorp).
[-] The following 1 user Likes bilky asko's post:
  • Jon

Talking about TNT showing things for free I would guess the Europa League isn't going to be on you tube again. Can't see anything about it. TNT do seem to want to take the big things for themselves now so not a massive surprise. The different is would TNT have let Channel 4 show the last race of the formula 1 or the cricket world cup final. Would TNT have let Channel 4 show the US open final.

They didn't even do a deal with the FTA when a British team was in the club world cup final. They are not doing a deal for a British team-Gloucester in the European Rugby final

(14-05-2024, 11:10 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  They didn't even do a deal with the FTA when a British team was in the club world cup final. They are not doing a deal for a British team-Gloucester in the European Rugby final
No one cares about the Club World Cup though, which is actually why it’s ended up on free to air TV so often when a British team is it. Outside of Gloucester I don’t think anyone really cares about the second tier European rugby final being free to air. And to be fair I imagine most rugby fans in Gloucestershire can afford TNT Sports. But it certainly wouldn’t have the wider appeal to casual sports fans.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Jon's post:
  • Brekkie