The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(14-05-2024, 11:21 PM)Jon Wrote:  No one cares about the Club World Cup though, which is actually why it’s ended up on free to air TV so often when a British team is it. Outside of Gloucester I don’t think anyone really cares about the second tier European rugby final being free to air. And to be fair I imagine most rugby fans in Gloucestershire can afford TNT Sports. But it certainly wouldn’t have the wider appeal to casual sports fans.

It doesn't matter. Why did TNT bid for the Club World Cup if no one cares about it. I would have loved to watch it and it would have got decent ratings on FTA but TNT did was they seem to be doing at the moment and took it away from FTA. I would imagine most rugby fans can't afford nearly £30 a month.

There is also the Premiership rugby, look what TNT have just done, signed a deal for all matches to be shown. FTA not getting anything, They are a disgusting company

Don’t know the details of the Premiership Rugby deal, but it’s hardly ever got live free to air coverage apart from a scattering of matches in the last few years and certainly didn’t in the days Sky were the main rights holders. Anyway Rugby Union in England has hardly ever been considered the sport of the working classes. Guessing and generalising a bit here but I imagine your average Union fan has more disposable income than your average football fan.
(14-05-2024, 11:24 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  It doesn't matter. Why did TNT bid for the Club World Cup if no one cares about it.
Well fans of the British club would watch it and it gives a bit more value to their package. A big Premier League tie would be something that would get bigger viewing figures, but you’re not demanding those go free to air. There usually has to be a wider national interest for these kind of deals to happen so a national team or an individual representing their nation.

(14-05-2024, 11:34 PM)Jon Wrote:  Don’t know the details of the Premiership Rugby deal, but it’s hardly ever got live free to air coverage apart from a scattering of matches in the last few years and certainly didn’t in the days Sky were the main rights holders. Anyway Rugby Union in England has hardly ever been considered the sport of the working classes. Guessing and generalising a bit here but I imagine your average Union fan has more disposable income than your average football fan.
Well fans of the British club would watch it and it gives a bit more value to their package. A big Premier League tie would be something that would get bigger viewing figures, but you’re not demanding those go free to air. There usually has to be a wider national interest for these kind of deals to happen so a national team or an individual representing their nation.

Ok then India V England, on Channel 4 in 2021. I bet Channel 4 would have loved to get the 2024 series but TNT came in and took it away . That was a massive series which would have got wider national interest on FTA.

I don’t really know what your point is. Just because something has been on free to air at some point in the past it should always be so, unless Sky are the ones that have won the rights?

I’m not against stuff being shown on free to air TV, I’d rather more was. But this has been going on for over 30 years. Some things are always pay TV, some things have always been free to air, somethings move around. Discovery and BT aren’t doing anything Sky or others haven’t done in the past.
[-] The following 6 users Like Jon's post:
  • Brekkie, BullBaker, Jeff, lookoutwales, News Engineer, thomash79

(14-05-2024, 11:46 PM)Jon Wrote:  I don’t really know what your point is. Just because something has been on free to air at some point in the past it should always be so, unless Sky are the ones that have won the rights?

I’m not against stuff being shown on free to air TV, I’d rather more was. But this has been going on for over 30 years. Some things are always pay TV, some things have always been free to air, somethings move around. Discovery and BT aren’t doing anything Sky or others haven’t done in the past.

No but Sky seem to be getting the message (Free to air broadcasts of national moments are for the best-IE, Cricket world cup Final and Formula 1 in 2021) TNT don't seem to be getting that message-No more first picks, No Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League on Free to air, No Club world Cup on Free to air.

(14-05-2024, 11:21 PM)Jon Wrote:  No one cares about the Club World Cup though, which is actually why it’s ended up on free to air TV so often when a British team is it. Outside of Gloucester I don’t think anyone really cares about the second tier European rugby final being free to air. And to be fair I imagine most rugby fans in Gloucestershire can afford TNT Sports. But it certainly wouldn’t have the wider appeal to casual sports fans.

I’ll just throw this one out there - if Ospreys had made the European Challenge Cup final, it would have been free to air (on S4C). But that is the deal they have - it was tied to the continuing presence of a Welsh side in the competition, and Ospreys were defeated (by Gloucester as it happens) in the QF. ITV and RTE both had the rights to show one game in each round of the Champions Cup free to air.

Those deals are over after the finals next weekend, and although no new deal is yet in place, you’d hope there’ll be a continuing FTA element. By all accounts TNT is playing hardball over the rights fee, so maybe that’s something that might play into things.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • Brekkie

(14-05-2024, 11:54 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  No but Sky seem to be getting the message (Free to air broadcasts of national moments are for the best-IE, Cricket world cup Final and Formula 1 in 2021) TNT don't seem to be getting that message-No more first picks, No Champions League, Europa League and Europa Conference League on Free to air, No Club world Cup on Free to air.
I think there was a very concerted and high profile campaigns for free to air coverage of the former events. Whereas I don’t think there has been with any of those TNT examples. I’d equate those European football examples with the Premier League and League Cup at a national level, which also don’t have live free to air coverage.

Don’t forget the Champions League will be more accessible as it has been in many years next season, with live coverage free (presumably) to Amazon Prime members and highlights on the BBC.

(14-05-2024, 11:42 PM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Ok then India V England, on Channel 4 in 2021. I bet Channel 4 would have loved to get the 2024 series but TNT came in and took it away . That was a massive series which would have got wider national interest on FTA.

India v England on Channel 4 in 2021 was a complete one-off. Given their current financial predicament, there is no way in the wold that C4 would have been able to afford the 2024 series.
[-] The following 4 users Like Scratch_Perry's post:
  • Jeff, Jon, lookoutwales, News Engineer

Just looking what ITV got in 1998-1999 season when Sky had the first picks. In Round 4 Sky had the far superior Manchester United V Liverpool while ITV only got Wolverhampton V Arsenal, In Round 5 Sky had the very close Newcastle V Blackburn while ITV had a very easy Manchester United win. in the Quarter final Sky had Manchester United V Chelsea while ITV had a boring 4-1 for Everton, in the Semi final Sky had Manchester United V Arsenal while ITV had another 2-0 boring win for Newcastle

You would have thought the FA would have learnt. Best matches are the first picks, but TNT are a disgusting company. Its not the fact Channel 4 didn't have the money, If TNT had not have bid for India V England Channel 4 might have picked it up on the cheap which would have meant good ratings and more money coming in for Channel 4 because of it. Bet TNT are playing hardball over the champions cup rights in the rugby because they want their dirty grubby hands on it.

The UEFA finals will be shown for free on Discovery+ this year rather than YouTube.
[-] The following 5 users Like Transmission's post:
  • bkman1990, Brekkie, BullBaker, RhysJR, thomash79