UEFA Euro 2024

(25-06-2024, 10:36 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Ah, but it was quicker for you to correct me. Wink

Thats a tight turnaround nowadays should any early games go to penalties, especially given broadcasters now like a longer build up.

The first day of the knockouts in 2016 a good example when Wales v. Northern Ireland got barely any build-up on BBC One because Switzerland v. Poland in the previous slot went to penalties. That tournament had the Round of 16 over three days with 14:00 kick-offs on the Saturday and Sunday, and then the quarter-finals over a longer period over four seperate nights.

The World Cup did have four hours gap between kick-offs in the knockout stages and the final group stage games, which I would agree would be better.

(25-06-2024, 10:30 PM)dvboy Wrote:  I misheard then and 15:30 is what's already in the schedule (vs BBC One's 16:30 presumably scheduled knowing if they ended up with this match it wouldn't involve England)

Imagine they might want to take three of the weekend matches and then the 5pm kick-offs to avoid being up against potential late night thrillers at Wimbledon? Whereas the later matches on Monday and Tuesday would benefit the BBC schedulers as they can just extend the tennis earlier in the day.

It’d be interesting to know how much weighting
a) the teams involved
b) the time slot
c) other programming

Has when deciding the knock out picks

All time slots are fairly favourable from a time slot perspective, even 5pm on a weekday isn’t too bad

BBC One have a lot of programming that ideally they’d avoid, they’ve got the legends slot at Glastonbury on Sunday and the headliners slot at Glastonbury which are both one One but shunted to Two if they are showing football, Wimbledon and the aftermath of the general election, where they would ideally not end up with having to leave early for the 5pm kick off and disrupt the Six

But if a juicy tie with two massive teams falls into their lap, would this override all those scenarios

Not sure why ITV have full credits at this stage of the competition, but I'm not complaining!

Confirmation that the studio is at Akademie der Künste as was suspected.

I liked the format of multiple columns at the bottom of the screen, I think I read more names than I do on the BBC's equivalent.

Apparently ITV have picks 1,2,3,5 & 7 with BBC on 4, 6 & 8.

After England I can see ITV picking two 8pm kick-offs, they could potentially get 3 of the 4 games at 8pm.

The Mon & Tue games at 5pm would seem less commercially appealing.

(25-06-2024, 10:47 PM)Andrew Wrote:  It’d be interesting to know how much weighting
a) the teams involved
b) the time slot
c) other programming

Has when deciding the knock out picks

All time slots are fairly favourable from a time slot perspective, even 5pm on a weekday isn’t too bad

BBC One have a lot of programming that ideally they’d avoid, they’ve got the legends slot at Glastonbury on Sunday and the headliners slot at Glastonbury which are both one One but shunted to Two if they are showing football, Wimbledon and the aftermath of the general election, where they would ideally not end up with having to leave early for the 5pm kick off and disrupt the Six

But if a juicy tie with two massive teams falls into their lap, would this override all those scenarios

So far, France are playing Monday 5pm and Spain Sunday 8pm (opponents unknown). Austria on Tuesday at 8pm will be a bit annoying for them in having a less known team in prime time, though they are good to watch.

(25-06-2024, 10:50 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Not sure why ITV have full credits at this stage of the competition, but I'm not complaining!

Confirmation that the studio is at Akademie der Künste as was suspected.

I liked the format of multiple columns at the bottom of the screen, I think I read more names than I do on the BBC's equivalent.

I remember one of the broadcasters (can't remember it was BBC or if it was ITV) did the same after the last group game in the last World Cup as well.

If they were lucky ITV could get France at 5pm on Monday as their 7th pick?

If ITV don’t choose it as it’s a less favourable start time, and the BBC don’t pick it so as to not disrupt the opening day at Wimbledon (having to leave BBC One only 2 1/2 hours after starting)

The Spain game is also a funny one, is a good kick off time and a good team for ITV commercially, but they may be football fatigue after having just shown the England game. The BBC having it also means Gary, Alan etc can express their opinions of the England result.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Andrew's post:
  • dvboy

8.8 million average, 14.5 million peak for the nil-nil between England and Slovenia last night.

x.com 

Is that average for the match or the full 4 hours?

(26-06-2024, 06:39 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Is that average for the match or the full 4 hours?

Slightly different numbers from ITV themselves (presumably adding ITVX), saying an average of 9.2 million across the whole four hour broadcast.

www.itv.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • lookoutwales