The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

(25-05-2024, 01:50 PM)JACKLUFC1998 Wrote:  If this EFL deal happens, I'm wondering if it will be similar to the super league rugby deal, where Sky sub let the matches to the free to air partner (BBC for the rugby, ITV for the football of course) and let them use their graphics but with ITV's own commentators etc?
I think certainly for the League Cup, ITV would want to use their own graphics. Traditionally football’s always been treated in such a way and presumbly would have higher budgets. But with cost cutting being what it is, who knows and the agreement may mean ITV have to carry a Sky Sports logo anyway.

Anyway from ITV’s football output looking quite depleted with England Men’s games also returning to the broadcaster if this deal go through it’ll arguably better than before. Particularly next season when they’ll still have the FA Cup.

Well they technically are the host broadcaster graphics I guess, which just happen to be in the Sky house style for the Super League or TNT style for the rugby union. I assume the graphics ITV currently use are the EFL default style rather than ITV's own (as I think they were similar before ITV took over the rights). It remains to be seen what happens under the new style but arguably would be in the EFL's interest for Sky coverage to have a scorebar at least which was distinct from their Premier League matches.

(25-05-2024, 03:15 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Well they technically are the host broadcaster graphics I guess, which just happen to be in the Sky house style for the Super League or TNT style for the rugby union. I assume the graphics ITV currently use are the EFL default style rather than ITV's own (as I think they were similar before ITV took over the rights). It remains to be seen what happens under the new style but arguably would be in the EFL's interest for Sky coverage to have a scorebar at least which was distinct from their Premier League matches.
Sky basically own the EFL now. Wouldn’t be surprised if their graphics basically become the EFL default style.

RTÉ lost the commentary link to Hugh Cahill during the trophy presentation for Toulouse. Jacqui Hurley had to take over in studio 5 in Dublin.

She then talked to the analysts in studio after the Trophy lift was done from Toulouse.

There's some breaking news being reported about one of the PGA Tour players this evening.

Grayson Murray had died this morning aged 30 years old. No cause of death has formally been announced.

He had been suffering from alcohol issues and depression over the course of his life.

news.sky.com 

RIP to him.

The event continues though. Do Sky have their own commentary for the PGA and European Tours or is there a World Feed which they use?

(25-05-2024, 09:15 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The event continues though. Do Sky have their own commentary for the PGA and European Tours or is there a World Feed which they use?

Mix and match really. More often than not for the PGA Tour they take the Golf Channel/NBC/CBS commentary (which is the case this evening) and then for the biggest events (the Signature events and FedEx Cup), they have their own commentary, which is often partly on course, partly from London. They have studio coverage from London for almost all PGA events, with the signature events hosted onsite generally.

For the European Tour, Sky usually take the world feed. On some events, the world feed is a Tour/Sky hybrid, with Sky regulars like Andrew Coltart and Wayne Riley for example working alonsgide the likes of Ken Brown and Jay Townsend. For the biggest events, like the PGA Championship, Scottish Open and Irish Open, Sky will do there own coverage.

For the women's tours, Sky take the American/world feed commentary almost all of the time, with extra presentation for the LPGA Tour from London.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

It’s not consistent, the majors and the bigger events (and some others that are not necessarily big) they use their own comms and then there would be other events they take the US broadcast commentary (PGA Tour) or world feed (DP World Tour).

Elsewhere, at the end of MOTD tonight they ran full end credits….with Gary Lineker credited as presenter, which he quite obviously wasn't (it was Jason Mohammed). Presumably these were just repeated from the live broadcast which he did present.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rdd's post:
  • RhysJR

According to the wiki page on UK sports contracts much of the golf rights are up this year but not sure how accurate that is. I know Discovery took the worldwide rights to the PGA tour through to 2030 but sublet them to Sky in the UK under a "multi-year" deal but not sure if that was for the full period. Golf fans are pretty fortunate that everything is with one pay-TV broadcaster.

No change to the French Open graphics for this year.

On Eurosport, Alize Lim is back after missing the Australian Open, whilst Rachel Stringer (who was a big improvement) is missing. Barbara Schett is back in the Cube in London hosting, though this time Mats Wilander is in Paris for the whole tournament according to the below. Once again it is also frustrating to see that some countris will be getting FTA coverage, with nothing in the UK.

media.wbdsports.com 

x.com 

In France, it's the first year of a new TV deal. As before, France tv and Amazon Prime Video are broadcasting everything between them, but now all daytime matches are being shown via France tv. Previously Court Simone Matthieu (the third court) was on Amazon exclusively during the day. Amazon will still show all the primetime matches (one a day on Court Philippe Chatrier), but now there is a night session on the first day, so they now show eleven primetime matches, an increase of one.

www.sportcal.com 

And kudos to the new France tv sport graphics for being quite petty in their nationalism and only giving French people flags.
up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image