The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Not even any 4am highlights on DMAX?

The French Open now just goes by somewhat unnoticed. I get why they might not want to offer an ITV4 level of coverage on Quest but feels a missed opportunity for them not to use the channel for some limited live coverage in order to try and convinced people to subscribe, even if they just did the first day as a free sample.

Discovery+ now twice the price Eurosport Player was a few years ago at £6.99 to include Eurosport. I will get it for the Olympics - I see you can still get it through Prime but back in 2021 the service offered on Prime was quite different to Eurosport Player with 7 streams rather than all of them.

(26-05-2024, 02:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not even any 4am highlights on DMAX?

The French Open now just goes by somewhat unnoticed. I get why they might not want to offer an ITV4 level of coverage on Quest but feels a missed opportunity for them not to use the channel for some limited live coverage in order to try and convinced people to subscribe, even if they just did the first day as a free sample.

Discovery+ now twice the price Eurosport Player was a few years ago at £6.99 to include Eurosport. I will get it for the Olympics - I see you can still get it through Prime but back in 2021 the service offered on Prime was quite different to Eurosport Player with 7 streams rather than all of them.

I remember reading when Eurosport and Discovery got the rights that it would get some free to air coverage so I have no idea what happened there. www.eurosport.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes shropshireguy28's post:
  • RhysJR

Do we think the EFL Play off finals will ever be live on free to air tv again, or even Premier league matches in future?

(26-05-2024, 02:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Not even any 4am highlights on DMAX?

No mention of the late night highlights on DMAX, but I wouldn't be surprised that they do pop up for the finals if they said there would be FTA coverage.

I have to agree it goes by unnoticed, I didn't get round to downloading the app until this morning, a week later than I normal! specially being in the same timezone as the UK near enough, it gets put down the running order by football and F1 today, and other events like cricket soon.

Hadn't realised how much Discovery+/Eurosport Player has increased in price. I fear it will get four times as expensive later in the year if they do shut down Eurosport UK and then only offer the one sport package via TNT Sports.* Feel sorry for anyone who is a fantatic of a sport that has been a mainstay of Eurosport if that is the case - paying less than £10/month for your sport is okay, but over £30 if you have little interest in any of the big contracts on TNT will be quite the smack in the face. Especially sorry for cycling followers, who had GCN+ shut down on them last year and moved to the more expensive Eurosport on Discovery+, and could be moved to a more expensive tier again.

*I hope that won't be the case but I fear it the most likely scenario

Calling your show 'Roland Garros Courtside' when you are hosting from London not Paris is certainly a choice by Eurosport.

Looks like a bit of a different set up in the studio, not sure if that is because the Giro d''Italia coverage was still ongoing today.

The only British daytime match today, featuring Jack Draper, was not aired on a linear channel by Eurosport. Whilst I would usually be very critical of this, I can understand it as there was only one linear channel for tennis for most of the afternoon due to the Giro d'Italia final stage airing on Eurosport 1. Simon Reed mentioned a few times this evening that Cameron Norrie's match will be airing on Eurosport 2 in the UK, and you'd hope that Harriet Dart will follow that match on Eurosport 2 if the don't clash.

Discovery have done the same with snooker - snooker shoot out moved to Eurosport from itv4 and promised coverage on Quest and that happened 1 year and never again.
[-] The following 1 user Likes NI92's post:
  • SuperSajuuk

I don’t think Roland-Garros has ever had FTA highlights on Quest or DMAX the UK, that’s only been for the Australian Open so presumably it’s contractual.

The Telegraph reporting the BBC have won the rights to the 2025 Rugby World Cup when England host the women's edition.

www.telegraph.co.uk 
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Reith85, RhysJR

The Warner Bros. Discovery Sport branding really a mess. Now the commentators have to read out two streaming services, with MAX being rolled out to most of Europe in lieu of Discovery+, which is still a thing in the UK, Italy and Germany. Plus the WBD branding that is occasionaly around the place (it was on a desk behind Mats Wilander onsite yesterday and the clothing of talent across different sports is often branded that way) and the TNT Sports brand in the UK, there's a load of competing brands in their portfolio.

(27-05-2024, 02:26 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The Telegraph reporting the BBC have won the rights to the 2025 Rugby World Cup when England host the women's edition.

www.telegraph.co.uk 

I guess the BBC have never shown the women's event before? If so, their first Rugby World Cup since 1987! Feels like a significant win for the BBC.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • AJB39

ITV showed the last two. Sky Sports were the host broadcaster last time England hosted in 2010.

Does seem after World Rugby announcing both mens and women's tournaments would be known as the Rugby World Cup a couple of years back more recent announcements have reverted to referring to it as the Womens Rugby World Cup.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR