The Sport Thread - For stuff not worthy of a thread of its own

Betty Glover has announced she's going to be working for Optus Sport in Australia over the summer covering the Euros and Copa America.

Friday's European Championships athletics is back on the Red Button schedule on Friday.
www.bbc.co.uk 

Nottingham Open tennis has appeared from Monday
www.bbc.co.uk 
[-] The following 1 user Likes dvboy's post:
  • RhysJR

Scottish Cup to remain on Premier Sports and BBC Scotland to 2029.

advanced-television.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes NI92's post:
  • RhysJR

Tennis Channel have the secured the rights to the ATP and WTA Tour matches of the British grass court season.
There is a banner image now at tennischannel.app (attached)

The BBC holds secondary rights for all these except ATP Eastbourne.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

• RhysJR

(06-06-2024, 08:57 PM)dvboy Wrote:  Tennis Channel have the secured the rights to the ATP and WTA Tour matches of the British grass court season.
There is a banner image now at tennischannel.app (attached)

The BBC holds secondary rights for all these except ATP Eastbourne.

I presume these will be on the Samsung TV Plus channel (i.e. hopefully I don't need to subscribe to anything more to watch any of it)? What is the rights portfolio of Tennis Channel - on the Samsung TV Plus channel they are showing quarter-final action from this year's Australian Open (which is available in full on YouTube below as well incidentaly)?

Who are the host broadcaster for these events? Is it the BBC/Tennis Channel/the LTA or are they all done by the WTA/ATP now?

www.youtube.com 

No screengrabs, but my cricket-loving friend tells me that Namibia v Scotland on Sky Sports Cricket fell over to BT Tower colour bars last night, for a good two minutes before they cut to a breakdown caption.

I know Sky have been making cuts in playout lately, but surely live sport needs a live PD?

I see the latest Sky cricket deal, through to 2031, is directly with the ICC rather than via Star Sports as has previously been the case.

Does feel like cricket is always having some sort of World Cup and the format this year beginning with 20 teams across 4 groups does mean basically 40 largely unevenly matched ties (on paper) before things get more interesting in the Super 8 stage.

I've said before the FIFA World Cup is likely to have a similar problem with their expansion meaning it might not be until game 65, or even 81, that things get interesting. The Rugby World Cup expanding to 24 teams will also mean we go from 12 top 12 clashes in the group stage to just 6, although with 4 less group matches that is less of an issue.

(06-06-2024, 09:26 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I presume these will be on the Samsung TV Plus channel (i.e. hopefully I don't need to subscribe to anything more to watch any of it)? What is the rights portfolio of Tennis Channel - on the Samsung TV Plus channel they are showing quarter-final action from this year's Australian Open (which is available in full on YouTube below as well incidentaly)?

Honestly not sure if they will be on the Samsung TV+ channel or not, but obviously they won't be able to show more than one match at a time there. I only use it via the website and app. The subscription is only £2.49 a month anyway which is extraordinary value.

Their main rights are for Davis and Billie Jean King Cup. They seem to have a lot of back catalogue stuff and seem to use the US Tennis Channel presentation and commentary where they have it.

Quote:Who are the host broadcaster for these events? Is it the BBC/Tennis Channel/the LTA or are they all done by the WTA/ATP now?

All produced by the WTA (DAZN in Leeds) and ATP (Gravity Media in London)
  • RhysJR

(07-06-2024, 06:35 AM)thegeek Wrote:  No screengrabs, but my cricket-loving friend tells me that Namibia v Scotland on Sky Sports Cricket fell over to BT Tower colour bars last night, for a good two minutes before they cut to a breakdown caption.

I know Sky have been making cuts in playout lately, but surely live sport needs a live PD?
There was some sort of intervention because initially it fell over to BT Tower colour bars for a few seconds, then cut back to the game (reserve line?) for a few seconds before falling over to a different set of BT Tower colour bars. Those were up for at least a minute before the Sky Sports apology caption was faded in for a couple of minutes, initially with the tone from the BT colour bars carrying on, eventually changing to the music with the caption until the feed returned a minute or two later.

Guessing a pair of mistimed switch bookings somewhere?

Do England have a losing record on Channel 4? A fantastic end to the contract, with as poor a result as the contract started back on 2022.🇮🇸
(PS This is written from a Welsh perspective. And I am using schadenfreude to forget that Wales have their own football team at the moment.)

I wonder how Channel 4 will reflect on their two years as England rights holders? Ratings have been quite strong all the way through from what I have seen reported, but whether the presumably sizeable rights fee was justified by that is hard to gauge. Whenever I've tuned in, I've been a bit disappointed with the coverage being quite bland. At least it didn't go down the Channel 4 athletics route of having a sport presenting novice anchor a car crash, but ther was nothing nw or innovative or particulary stand out about it all. One thing I will praise them for is often having an opposition pundit.

The BBC coverage of the European Athletics Championships is only using the full world feed coverage, including commentary from Phil Minshull, Tim Hutchings and Alex Seftel. Understandable with the short notice that there is no BBC voices; the lack of interviews is the most obvious loss. Saying that, I do think there are more BBC journalists than fans inside the Stadio Olimpico - the attendance is rather sparse.

RTÉ on the other hand appear to be doing their own commentary, though tonight's session was only on RTÉ Player due to live rugby. This is shame as that means there was no linear coverage of Ireland's second ever gold in these championships.

To the event itself: the original bid had the shot put to take place in (or just outside) the Coliseum, but sadly this has not transpired. The race walking this evening culminated inside the stadium, which is not something that has happened in championships in many a year (2008 Olympics the last I remember). Nice to see that former tradition be brought back, even if it a likely one-off.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie