Corrie

(11-06-2024, 07:44 AM)Andrew Wrote:  They’ve given themselves a lot of work for the future there, as at some point they will need to cast 4 older kids/teenagers to play Gemma’s quads. Unless they axe Gemma and/or Chesney before hand.

I could see them axing Gemma in the future for that reason. Chesney though is part of the furniture now though so he won’t be going anywhere unless the actor decides to leave which I can’t see happening.

Chesney feels a bit like Ashley. Feels immovable but it just takes a bold producer to take over and he’s toast.
[-] The following 2 users Like chris's post:
  • DJ Dave, Stuart

(14-06-2024, 09:28 AM)chris Wrote:  Chesney feels a bit like Ashley. Feels immovable but it just takes a bold producer to take over and he’s toast.
Many characters in continuing dramas need to maintain a relevant connection with the audience and have some form of development, otherwise they simply drift into the background and risk what you suggest when a new Producer is wielding an axe.

That's nothing to do with the ability of the particular actor, just the material given to them by the writers or the intended direction for the character leading to a departure.

Some long-standing characters don't have the same requirement. For example, Rita could probably appear just once a month with a line about the price of a Sherbet Dip and still maintain the relevance of the character to the viewer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • DeMarkay

(14-06-2024, 09:28 AM)chris Wrote:  Chesney feels a bit like Ashley. Feels immovable but it just takes a bold producer to take over and he’s toast.

Or Curly Watts. Sometimes it becomes clear a character has run its course, and no longer adds anything to the show.

Although I’m not sure Chesney has since he was a quirky kid.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Spencer's post:
  • chevron

Alf Roberts? Though I think that was as much to do with Brian Mosley's health and him looking like death warmed up for his last 18 months or so on the show than having run his course.

Soaps seem to love pregancy storylines, and love twins too (or quads in this case) but then hate stories around raising the children, mainly due to the stricter rules around their screentime. If Gemma and Chesney stick around I'd be amazed if all their kids survive till adulthood.

It does feel like Corrie really is enterting an era of the changing of the guard where much of the older legendary cast will be leaving one way or another in the next few years so there is an argument not to make any rash decisions around the younger long termers who will somewhat take up the baton. Heck, Jack P Shepherd may end up breaking William Roache's record.

As a twin, I can tell you it's something that's not a walk in the park in real life either Tongue