Newsnight

(12-05-2024, 02:25 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Let's all go back 44 years, and cut that back to about 15 minutes . . . Confused

www.youtube.com 

To be honest with you, I would love to see BBC2 have a modern version of News on 2. Short bulletins, no more than 15 minutes that would properly wrap up the news in a concise format. And as someone else suggested, maybe pair them up with 15 minute editions of Sportsday, if you need to fill a 30 minute slot.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cityprod's post:
  • Stuart

Given the pivot to human interest stories recently (I recall Jeremy Paxman telling an interviewee that "How do you feel?" was not a question he was allowed to ask on Newsnight), there is an argument for moving it to BBC1 after News at Ten and running it Monday to Thursday.

(12-05-2024, 03:08 PM)cityprod Wrote:  To be honest with you, I would love to see BBC2 have a modern version of News on 2. Short bulletins, no more than 15 minutes that would properly wrap up the news in a concise format. And as someone else suggested, maybe pair them up with 15 minute editions of Sportsday, if you need to fill a 30 minute slot.

I kind of get the nostalgic element but I do wonder why you would choose to search out a 15 minute bulletin on BBC 2 which would, presumably, rely on the same packages, number and types of script, and largely reflect content on the BBC 1 bulls or the News Channel?

The only saving grace, as I see it, is that at least the Newsnight name and brand remain. There is some (limited) scope of the news making interviews but ultimately I keep coming back to Late Night Politics Live (in all but name).
[-] The following 1 user Likes Matrix's post:
  • Stuart

(12-05-2024, 04:51 PM)Matrix Wrote:  I kind of get the nostalgic element but I do wonder why you would choose to search out a 15 minute bulletin on BBC 2 which would, presumably, rely on the same packages, number and types of script, and largely reflect content on the BBC 1 bulls or the News Channel?

The only saving grace, as I see it, is that at least the Newsnight name and brand remain. There is some (limited) scope of the news making interviews but ultimately I keep coming back to Late Night Politics Live (in all but name).

It's actually quite simple. It's the same reason I used to prefer watching the news at 5:45 or 5:40 back in the day. It's a concise wrap up of the news, nothing superfluous. Just the news for 15 minutes straight. I'd prefer that anyday, but the current BBC & ITN bulletins are mostly too long winded and for their length, feel less like a wrap up of the days news and more like they're trying to emulate what was Newsnight, and what is Channel 4 News, almost like they're current affairs programmes, rather than news bulletins.
[-] The following 6 users Like cityprod's post:
  • AndrewP, AverageOrangeTurnip, itsrobert, JJJJ, LargelyALurker, Stuart

Certainly a place for that - even in it's half hour slot the ITV Evening News was generally only 20 minutes long and gave you what you needed to do in a concise manner. Sometimes feel a 4 minute radio bulletin covers things better than a 30 minute TV bulletin.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, AverageOrangeTurnip, Stuart

(12-05-2024, 04:36 PM)Omnipresent Wrote:  Given the pivot to human interest stories recently (I recall Jeremy Paxman telling an interviewee that "How do you feel?" was not a question he was allowed to ask on Newsnight), there is an argument for moving it to BBC1 after News at Ten and running it Monday to Thursday.

It has to be remembered that in the Nations particularly on BBC1 Northern Ireland there are local programmes usually on at least three nights a week at 10.40 with the current affairs programme "The View" a stalwart of a Thursday evening with Question Time usually time shifted by 30-40 minutes and "Nolan Live" is a one hour programme on a Wednesday night so any movement of Newsnight to BBC1 would not necessarily work. Wales too have had a weekly current affairs programme at 10.30 incorporating the local news. Starting all these local programmes at or after 11pm wouldn't work for the audiences in the Nations.

Unusual short titles with strong with different music to usual tonight.

Been before, or is this the start of the refresh?

(12-05-2024, 02:02 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The last edition of Newsnight before it's cut to half an hour and stripped of actual news reporting is on Friday 25th May.
It's the fact they can be better that depresses the most. Like how Politics UK is a genuinely great piece of public service broadcasting, making Politics Live all the more awful in comparison. Even with the cut resources, production teams can still make a decent programme, when there's the impetus too. But because bosses want another bloody talkshow, that's what we'll get, regardless of whether something better could be made instead. They can dress it up in 'cuts', but as with the News channel, the new format is a choice. There will have been a way to still make savings while producing something worthwhile (more studio bound, ditch foreign reporting entirely (not like there's much left), favouring in-house voices over endless not-cheap pundits, etc.).
[-] The following 3 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, Brekkie, thePineapple

Did we really need a Whatsapp number plastered on screen throughout the bulletin? If tonight's Newsnight was anything to go by which was Victoria Derbyshire at Night, I won't be watching for much longer.
[-] The following 1 user Likes London Lite's post:
  • Stuart

It's quite telling that when you go to the episodes page of the Newsnight site that the first thing you see is an episode from 5 years ago with a long departed host.

As for last night - hopefully that was just because it was a special on the issues around carers allowance but have to say although it's a topic I'm interested in and think it's potentially brewing up to be a much bigger story the way Newsnight presented how they were going to cover that in the programme in the intro did not entice me to watch it at all.

There is a place of course for some people affected to be able to tell their stories live on TV, but generally especially in these early stages of the story developing I feel pre-packaged reports which can put what is being said into context and verify what is being said is accurate and give us more background information within the report is a much better way to deliver such stories.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, DTV, LargelyALurker, London Lite, UTVLifer