UEFA Euro 2024

Not much of a tribute to Clive Tyldesley just now, probably a minute and a half's worth of clips featuring generally England games and Euros/World Cup moments where Clive was commentating. Pougatch said Clive was bowing out tonight after 28 years, not that ITV have terminated his contract? No Champions League coverage which featured many of Clive's iconic moments. Pougatch said he hoped Clive goes out on a high, Clive replied "Not much pressure, Ally". I'm not sure why they are letting him go, I much prefer him over Sam Materface. Tyldesley did a sterling job taking over from Brian Moore who retired in 1998. I wonder how Clive will end his commentary tonight with his closing remarks?
[-] The following 3 users Like Juicy Joe's post:
  • MFTJA, RhysJR, Transmission

Well they're not going to say on air ITV sacked him. Didn't see it but 90 seconds isn't too bad and the lack of Champions League clips is likely due to rights issues (evil TNT and all that Big Grin)

Agree it's so foolish to ditch him completely - he's probably more popular than he ever was and although ITV may feel they don't need him for the season ahead given the massive increase in the number of World Cup games in 2026 it seems short sighted to rule him out of that.
[-] The following 3 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Jeff, Juicy Joe, TastyCrow

Well, him upstairs clearly isn't happy about it...

Seriously, Clive is still at the top of his game, surely someone will give him some work.
[-] The following 1 user Likes C.M.W.'s post:
  • RhysJR

A pause in play due to thunder and lightning giving Clive a chance to shine. Think he fears this is how ITV get rid of him.

Where is the IBC? Hopefully we don't have a Euro 2008 semi-final situation.

When Brian Moore did his final commentary, they built it up over a few nights, rather than announce it 15 minutes before Clive's final match.

He may not be able to complete his final commentary now that the match has been suspended due to thunder and lightning, I hope this is not the case.

(29-06-2024, 08:41 PM)Juicy Joe Wrote:  When Brian Moore did his final commentary, they built it up over a few nights, rather than announce it 15 minutes before Clive's final match.

He may not be able to complete his final commentary now that the match has been suspended due to thunder and lightning, I hope this is not the case.
Would be full circle as I read his first commentary for ITV in 1986 never made it to air due to the weather. And he missed two disallowed goals and got sacked the next morning.

(29-06-2024, 08:41 PM)TIGHazard Wrote:  Where is the IBC? Hopefully we don't have a Euro 2008 semi-final situation.

Leipzig, so the other side of the country.

This is fun, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a match at a major tournament postponed due to adverse weather conditions

(29-06-2024, 08:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  This is fun, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a match at a major tournament postponed due to adverse weather conditions
Adrian Chiles had to fill in Euro 2012 in a similar situation in Ukraine (and again a year later for an England qualifier in Poland)

www.theguardian.com 

I'd have thought now the match is officially suspended ITV could go to ads if they wanted but they seem to be in no hurry to. Perhaps waiting for news of when it'll resume so not caught off guard.