UEFA Euro 2024

(29-06-2024, 08:46 PM)Andrew Wrote:  This is fun, I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a match at a major tournament postponed due to adverse weather conditions

Ukraine v. Northern Ireland was briefly suspended at Euro 2016, and I think the ITV team have referenced Ukraine v. France in 2012.

Rather coincidentally, the exact same fixture at the Women's Euro 2017 quarter-finals was postponned on a Saturday night due to heavy rain, and was replayed on the Sunday lunchtime.

ITV now gone to highlights of the earlier game with Pien Meulensteen.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RhysJR's post:
  • Brekkie

ITV treating it like an early half time break for analysis and highlights understandably. There's going to be a fair amount of repetition later

Famous last words from Clive pre-match

x.com 
  • Brekkie

Extended half time break now according to Clive for some reason

(29-06-2024, 09:12 PM)Johnr Wrote:  Extended half time break now according to Clive for some reason

I wonder if he means 15 minutes, rather than only short one because we just had a lengthy break 10 minutes ago?

The Sun giving us an advert with Harry Redknapp speaking German. This night is getting even more bizarre.

Ally had the opportunity to say one of the (in)famous phrases "Not for me Clive" (of Andy Townsend fame) but fumbled it and said "Not for me mate" during his moaning for the VAR penalty.

(29-06-2024, 08:53 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Ukraine v. Northern Ireland was briefly suspended at Euro 2016, and I think the ITV team have referenced Ukraine v. France in 2012.

Rather coincidentally, the exact same fixture at the Women's Euro 2017 quarter-finals was postponned on a Saturday night due to heavy rain, and was replayed on the Sunday lunchtime.

ITV now gone to highlights of the earlier game with Pien Meulensteen.

Also had a delay in this stadium at the 1974 World Cup. So lightning doès strike twice.

twitter.com 

The rest of the night naturally dealyed on ITV 1, with the news now starting at 22:55.

twitter.com 
  • Happy2001

Glad Clive got a relatively decent (and eventful) match for his swansong.

I don't think it's a coincidence his popularity seemed to increase when he no longer had to commentate on England games. Arguably being released from them actually gave him better fixtures in the tournaments.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • RhysJR

Clive didn't really say anything at the end of the match other than sum it up & announce the final result. Mark Pougatch said they'd see Clive soon?
[-] The following 1 user Likes Juicy Joe's post:
  • RhysJR

Once again so thankful Christina Unkel is here. She is using the actual Laws of the Games, everyone else is using their ideal, fantasy laws. She is also happy to discuss and talk with the pundits, depsite them disagreeing. And she is very good at communicating at all that.

(29-06-2024, 10:19 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Glad Clive got a relatively decent (and eventful) match for his swansong.

I don't think it's a coincidence his popularity seemed to increase when he no longer had to commentate on England games. Arguably being released from them actually gave him better fixtures in the tournaments.

It's certainly won't be one he will forget in a hurry.

Have to agree with that. Like Nick Mullins on rugby (a commentator I'm a big fan of), their style on being a little less impartial on England games has not always been well received, especially from those outside of England.
  • Brekkie