Newsnight

Absolutely horrendous camera work constantly throughout this and the far too frequent moving between the set areas is annoying to watch. What a disaster.
[-] The following 5 users Like msim's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, Reith85, Stuart, UTVLifer

Is the camera work around the studio meant to make Newsnight "dynamic" in its 30 minute incarnation? It's like it's gone to the other extreme of the way the cameras used to pan away very, very slowly from the interviewees sat at the desk before.

I also fail to believe that there isn't a single person at BBC News who doesn't have an eye for good programme / set design. As things stand, maybe that really is the case, if the evidence of this revamped Newsnight is anything to go by. That sofa with the covers is beyond appalling.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Reith85's post:
  • Stuart

I think the programme is quite watchable - and of course that can't be overlooked.

The problem is that it's basically Sunday with Laura Kuenssberg lite - roundup of top story, chat with panel inc political editor, interview with Labour figure, chat with panel, chat with government minister etc...

It's the same format as the Context, and Politics Live on the BBC, and on a plethora of other programs on other networks. Is that what we need?
[-] The following 12 users Like thePineapple's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, Brekkie, JJJJ, LargelyALurker, LDN, matthieu1221, oscillon, Reith85, TVFan, UTVLifer

(28-05-2024, 10:38 PM)South Wrote:  So far I wish they had just axed the programme, the colour pallet is very daytime esque, very much suiting something more like loose women than newsnight.

Could this be the brightest newsnight set in recent memory?
[-] The following 1 user Likes harshy's post:
  • UTVLifer

Despite Victoria Derbyshire and Nick Watt’s best efforts, and they tried hard, the new Newsnight felt very disappointing: lightweight content, appalling camera movements, too much stomping from one part of the set to the other. It’s so sad that the programme I’ve watched for 40 years has been decimated in this way. ‘Things can only get better’.
[-] The following 3 users Like Newshound's post:
  • AndrewP, LargelyALurker, UTVLifer

Credit where it's due, that was the most I've enjoyed Newsnight in a long time. I think its future will depend on if they can keep getting big names on a nightly basis.
[-] The following 6 users Like southern_boy's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, arbrax, DeMarkay, thePineapple, UTVLifer

It feels a bit like This Week that used to be on after Question Time on Thursday nights, with the presenter and two guests chewing the fat.

(28-05-2024, 11:03 PM)msim Wrote:  Absolutely horrendous camera work constantly throughout this and the far too frequent moving between the set areas is annoying to watch. What a disaster.

Particularly noticeable during the papers preview, where the camera stabiliser was blocking most of the shot at one point.

Once that was sorted, the camera was far too close to the LED screen, so you ended up with the image being dimmed because of the LED pitch, and awful moiré patterns.

On the plus side, the panel format felt reminiscent of the better parts of This Week. It's just not really Newsnight.
[-] The following 7 users Like bilky asko's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, LDN, Stuart, thePineapple, UTVLifer

I quite enjoyed it. Seemed way more pacey than other news analysis programmes and the previous Newsnight was very earnest.

Camera work needs some more practice as the screens were flickering out on occasion.

It was giving This Week vibes.

They need to ditch the sofa used for one-on-ones and replace with chairs.
[-] The following 4 users Like Lester's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bilky asko, bkman1990

(28-05-2024, 11:03 PM)msim Wrote:  Absolutely horrendous camera work constantly throughout this and the far too frequent moving between the set areas is annoying to watch. What a disaster.
The camera work is making me feel dizzy. Confused