UEFA Euro 2024

(30-06-2024, 08:12 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  I wonder at what point do the on air talent migrate to the studio from the green room? Probably would rather stay in the studio with a screen that size.

twitter.com 

They certainly stayed in the much-comfier looking LWT studio in 2002 (I’m more concerned with how Des Lynam is cropped out of this clip)

x.com 

(30-06-2024, 08:17 PM)Andrew Wrote:  Talking about sitting down, did that second indoor ITV studio really only get used for one match?

Yes, AFAIK - seemingly they’ve decided to stick with the upper floor studio for live games since.

Inicdientally, @itvfootball on X does at least enable them to upload post-match interviews first before they go on air.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

Not often do pundits first appear at half-time of a match. Former Spain player (and former Sky La Liga regular) Gaizka Mendieta joins ITV for the first time this tournament this evening.

Can't say I'm terribly enthused for Seb Hutchison to (most likely) commentate on a quarter-final next weekend. Both him and Pien Meulensteen certainly have potential, so you can see why ITV have put their stock in two young commentators, but wouldn't say either of them are a #2 commentator on a major broadcaster yet.

Hopefully ITV can have Jon Champion back for the 2026 World Cup* (should they get the rights) or someone with experience and gravitas (Adam Summerton of TNT who covered an FA Cup game for ITV during the 2022 World Cup someone else I would suggest) or their commentary line-up would be quite weak.

*He opted to only work with NBC at the Olympics this summer.

Spain v Germany would seem a likely 2nd pick for ITV in QF. (Friday at 5pm)
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • Brekkie

(30-06-2024, 09:59 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Can't say I'm terribly enthused for Seb Hutchison to (most likely) commentate on a quarter-final next weekend. Both him and Pien Meulensteen certainly have potential, so you can see why ITV have put their stock in two young commentators, but wouldn't say either of them are a #2 commentator on a major broadcaster yet.
After a couple of hours of Matterface and Dixon Seb Hutchison was an improvement, but absolutely nowhere near the level of Clive Tyldesley who should at least have got one more round. Feels like ITV just dug the boot in a bit more by sending him home a round earlier than they needed too, although at least he got a farewell rather than being axed afterwards.

I just don't get making the call that early on 2026 considering ITV will probably have an extra 20 matches, and they'll be spread across three countries including the USA so it's not as straight forward to move commentators from match to match is it would have been in Germany. You'd assume they need a couple of comms team in Canada, a couple in Mexico and possibly four in the US alone just to cover half the games unless the BBC/ITV agree to a more geographical split to limit traveling.

(30-06-2024, 10:01 PM)eyeTV Wrote:  Spain v Germany would seem a likely 2nd pick for ITV in QF. (Friday at 5pm)
I would think so - they'd prefer it at 8pm of course but will still get an 8pm kick off by picking that, and probably the one on Saturday after the England game as you'd think the BBC would pick France or Belgium v Portgual or Slovenia on the Friday.

It's a big enough game to grab an audience at 5pm, and worth remembering the 6pm news hour is often the highest rated of the day for both the BBC and ITV. I think also people will be electioned out by then!

18.4m peak for England vs Slovakia according to this tweet

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes eyeTV's post:
  • Happy2001

(01-07-2024, 02:21 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  ITV Press Office says 14.5 million on average, 15.4 million at peak across both ITV1 and ITVX.

9.2 million average between 6.45pm and 10.45pm.

www.itv.com 

Again, somewhat different figures quoted by Liam Hamilton here.

x.com 

The ITV press release you've shared there is for England's final group game against Slovenia, not Slovakia.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JT95's post:
  • Happy2001

(01-07-2024, 02:36 PM)JT95 Wrote:  The ITV press release you've shared there is for England's final group game against Slovenia, not Slovakia.

My apologies - Press Office slower on the uptake than you'd might expect.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • JT95

ITV have confirmed they'll air Spain v Germany on Friday and the Saturday 8pm match.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • bkman1990, dvboy, eyeTV, lookoutwales, RhysJR