UEFA Euro 2024

If they wanted to and see it as a big deal (and to be honest I’m sure questions will have been asked and answered 100 times over by 9pm), they could put QT at 9pm on BBC Two, bumping Today at Wimbledon to after Newsnight

Although that of course suggests that Wimbledon wouldn’t run over, as we know Today at Wimbledon often doesn’t air as billed

The ITV highlights tonight are being presented by Mark Pougatch with Eni Aluko and Joleon Lescott in the indoor studio in Berlin, rather than by Celina Hinchliffe's voice.

(01-07-2024, 10:50 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  The shortest penalty shoot-out I've ever seen and we're onto the news at 22:50 - 40 minutes late.

Sport came off air about four minutes early, going by Presfax

x.com 

Actually quite pleased they’ve reverted back to a traditional in-vision format for the ITV highlights - ground floor studio arguably looks nicer late at night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes lookoutwales's post:
  • RhysJR

Guess this is their only highlights show of the knock out rounds so far, so perhaps will be the case from now. Guessing we won't see Laura or Gabby present a live match again this tournament, especially now the quarters are split each day.

I know in their interviews ITV said they wouldn't go on location unless England made the final - not sure about the BBC. Possible they might head down to Dusseldorf on Saturday, though with the performances so far it probably doesn't feel like it's worth the effort.

I wonder if someone else is using ITV’s indoor studio, as there was probably a lot of competition to bagsy a prime spot, so it’s a bit tight to get a good spot and then barely use it.

I does look like it’s next door to the BBC’s studio in the temporary structure, so completely separate from the building ITV are usually in

Oh, and Laura Woods is down to do tomorrow’s ITV game

Gabby Logan’s stint at this euros seems to have been quite low key. She arrived a week late, did the two Scotland games, one or two others maximum and then looks to have now gone home.

If there had been another Scotland game it would have been on ITV so she wouldn’t have done that either.

Some TV mags and newspaper pull outs etc had her front and centre in the pre tournament previews but she’s barely been part of it.

Similarly with Alex Scott presenting the highlights she's been largely out of sight. I thought she might have done a bit of live punditry alongside that - indeed I think they miss her a bit in that role. One thing noteable across the BBC and ITV is they've scaled back a bit on the female pundits this tournament.

(02-07-2024, 12:12 AM)Andrew Wrote:  Gabby Logan’s stint at this euros seems to have been quite low key. She arrived a week late, did the two Scotland games, one or two others maximum and then looks to have now gone home.

If there had been another Scotland game it would have been on ITV so she wouldn’t have done that either.

Some TV mags and newspaper pull outs etc had her front and centre in the pre tournament previews but she’s barely been part of it.

Yeah, all very odd, especially with her prominence in the pre-tournament press. Also, Mark Chapman has been very busy in comparison doing TV and radio, so as much I love Mark on the TV coverage, it would arguably be a better share of resources to have him on the radio only. Gabby is the only person on the BBC TV team bar Mark to also cover the Olympics for the BBC, so that might be a factor (though that argument doesn't work with many radio voices like Mark and Kelly Cates doubling up).

Gabby will be on Lorraine in the morning so it looks like she is back in the UK.

twitter.com 

Was it rumoured at the time of TNT Sports' launch that Laura Woods will be hosting at the Olympics fir Eurosport?
And Gabby might do a pitchside presentation role at the England game on Saturday, like Laura did for ITV on Sunday if she returns to Germany?

(01-07-2024, 11:47 PM)Andrew Wrote:  I wonder if someone else is using ITV’s indoor studio, as there was probably a lot of competition to bagsy a prime spot, so it’s a bit tight to get a good spot and then barely use it.

Nobody else has been using it. (The ITV Sport logos all over the set would be a bit of an issue!)

There had been due to be a major broadcaster on the first floor of the studio block, but they pulled out when they released the view through the Brandenburg Gate would be blocked by the fan zone screens during matches. It's not quite as big as issue from ITV and the BBC's positions but I think ITV just prefer the view from their balcony.

I think it's still worth them having as a backup - like how TNT go to the bother of building their Premier League set every weekend as a backup in case it's impractical to present pitchside, only for it to usually only be seen on screen for a couple of minutes at half time.
[-] The following 1 user Likes thegeek's post:
  • RhysJR

(01-07-2024, 11:10 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  The alternative schedules put Question Time at 11.10pm. Really don't get why they need an edition the day after the election - surely we're owed a break from all the debates. (Oddly a 45 minute edition schedules next Thursday at 7.30pm too ahead of a double bill of EastEnders at 8.15pm).

IIRC, the day after Election Day edition of Question Time was a new thing for the 2015 Election, and was billed as part of the Dimbleby-Edwards handover as Election Night anchor. Dimbleby was to do through the night until Breakfast started, and that would be his final Election Night, then Edwards was to do after Breakfast, through the Friday, and then be the main anchor for future elections.

So that it didn't look like too much of a 'demotion' for Dimbleby, they put in this new Question Time edition on the Friday night and spun it as being 'David will finish at Breakfast to prepare for the new primetime Question Time that reflects on the result'. It was quite a memorable edition, with Paddy Ashdown eating a marzipan hat, after he had questioned the exit poll and vowed to 'eat his hat' if the Lib Dem result was as bad as predicted!

Of course, the smoothness of that Dimbleby/Edwards handover did not go at all as planned, as they got Dimbleby back in for the 2016 Referendum programme, and then for the 2017 GE, with the argument that the 2017 GE was the 'third part of a trilogy' of result nights.

I have to say that I think it is a crying shame that Huw Edwards only ended up with one Election night as anchor, and I think there is a huge amount of sadness over his situation, but I don't want to risk the wrath of the mods by saying any more here!

...and I know that this post is not very on-topic for the Euro 2024 thread - apologies!
[-] The following 3 users Like madmusician's post:
  • Brekkie, Bungo Bill, RhysJR