UEFA Euro 2024

(02-07-2024, 09:06 PM)ASnep Wrote:  In other News: MagentaTV, the streaming service that has the exclusive rights to Austria - Turkey in Germany, was forced to start streaming the Match on Youtube. Their own apps and website have been down since the match started.
A bit like when OPTUS in Australia had the World Cup and ended up having to let SBS share every match as they just couldn't cope with demand.

From what I'd read though although Magenta TV have all 51 matches that ARD and ZDF had 34, including all German games, and the other 17 would be on RTL.

(02-07-2024, 10:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bit like when OPTUS in Australia had the World Cup and ended up having to let SBS share every match as they just couldn't cope with demand.

From what I'd read though although Magenta TV have all 51 matches that ARD and ZDF had 34, including all German games, and the other 17 would be on RTL.

RTL have 12 matches, leaving 5 exclusive to Magenta. They initially announced 17, but renegotiated to 12. Part of that deal also involved RTL producing Magentas coverage, them sharing the on-screen personality and studio at RTLs HQ in Cologne ... and this obnoxious cornerlogo on RTL during the broadcast:

This was the last game exclusive to Magenta. RTL still got one of the quarter finals, all other matches are being broadcast by ARD and ZDF.
[-] The following 3 users Like ASnep's post:
  • Brekkie, RhysJR, Transmission

(02-07-2024, 10:35 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  A bit like when OPTUS in Australia had the World Cup and ended up having to let SBS share every match as they just couldn't cope with demand.

This match was one of five that was exclusive to Magenta TV, with RTL showing 12 games in the end. With there being such a large Turkish diaspora in Germany, and Austria being neighbours, it did overwhelm their platform. I think they did weel to act promptly to put an alternative available, but sadly many missed the first goal after 57 seconds.

www.welt.de 

I do find it odd that Magenta TV are the main rights holder in Germany as their football offering outside of tournaments is comfortably the third biggest Pay TV portfolio in Germany (behind DAZN and Sky), with them mainly only showing every 3. Liga and Frauen Bundesliga match (all of the Frauen Bundesliga matches are non-exclusive as well, with many 3. Liga games on free TV). They do show plenty of high profile ice hockey and basketball though, which I guess is their main subscriptions driver for 23 of every 24 months.

ARD and ZDF had changed their usual method of splitting matches for the Round of 16. Instead of alternating days, on Sunday and Monday, ARD showed the two 8pm kick-offs and ZDF showed the two 5pm kick-offs, with ZDF showing the Germany game on Saturday night and ARD the Netherlands game today, leaving Switzerland v. Italy on RTL. Both publci broadcasters showed live sport at the same time on Sunday, with football and the national athletics championships on ZDF and the Tour de France on ARD.

(02-07-2024, 11:19 PM)ASnep Wrote:  RTL have 12 matches, leaving 5 exclusive to Magenta. They initially announced 17, but renegotiated to 12. Part of that deal also involved RTL producing Magentas coverage, them sharing the on-screen personality and studio at RTLs HQ in Cologne ... and this obnoxious cornerlogo on RTL during the broadcast:

This was the last game exclusive to Magenta. RTL still got one of the quarter finals, all other matches are being broadcast by ARD and ZDF.

That's better then what the UK has got when Sky Sports has been simulcasted on FTA TV, but it doesn't look the nicest, no.