International News Presentation: Past and Present

(27-05-2024, 12:17 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Tg2, the Italian newscast on Rai 2, debuted their new theme tune, graphics and studio on Saturday to celebrate their 55th anniversary. It marked the return of the 1976 symbol and 3-note jingle in modern arrangement.

I really like the classic jingle, but I'm baffled by how they chose to integrate it. It's basically a nice bit of retro at the beginning which then quickly transitions into a characterless nothing of a theme.

It's the same for the title sequence: the retro numeral makes a brief appearance, followed immediately by another rework of the standard italian 3D-globe - and then the retro numeral is never seen again. Quite strange.
[-] The following 2 users Like chaose's post:
  • benzj, W. Knight

Compared side by side, the original TG2 logo hasn't aged especially well compared to the one still in use after some 35 years (red box or not)

Rai being Rai, they are still prone to taking a step or two back in their on-air graphics to this day - and retro callback aside, the new titles and theme aren't radically different from the last package, either.

The new set's an improvement though that's not saying much.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AxG, W. Knight

(27-05-2024, 12:17 PM)W. Knight Wrote:  Tg2, the Italian newscast on Rai 2, debuted their new theme tune, graphics and studio on Saturday to celebrate their 55th anniversary. It marked the return of the 1976 symbol and 3-note jingle in modern arrangement, as a dedication to maintain the audiences' longtime trust. In their own words (www.tvblog.it ):

The studio, meanwhile, puts the anchor in "the center of the information". This is a supercut of the flagship bulletin, Sera (at 8.30pm):
www.youtube.com 

For me personally there is always something slightly....off about Italian news broadcasts. Its hard to describe. Its polished or wants to be. But there there is something along the fringes that dont feel right. Like they dont hit quality like a BBC or Sky News or even one of the Scandi, German French network news. It feels kinda like....there's a "well that works" mentality. Its not perfected. There seems be a lack of finesse. Its not horrible. You can see what they want to achieve....but for me it feels off. Cant put it into words. Set and graphics and studio.... its like its 90-95% there. Just not quite there. Maybe its just me.

(28-05-2024, 06:22 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  For me personally there is always something slightly....off about Italian news broadcasts. Its hard to describe. Its polished or wants to be. But there there is something along the fringes that dont feel right. Like they dont hit quality like a BBC or Sky News or even one of the Scandi, German French network news. It feels kinda like....there's a "well that works" mentality. Its not perfected. There seems be a lack of finesse. Its not horrible. You can see what they want to achieve....but for me it feels off. Cant put it into words. Set and graphics and studio.... its like its 90-95% there. Just not quite there. Maybe its just me.

RAI 1980's presentation is particulary akward. The thing I see straight from a nightmare is that 1988 intro from the TG3

youtu.be 

New minimalist graphics package for DW:

ibb.co 

ibb.co 

ibb.co 

ibb.co 

ibb.co 
[-] The following 5 users Like leewilliams's post:
  • bkman1990, Charles, LDN, mouseboy33, Stuart

I like DW News. I just wish they did Breaking News better. Its not really a breaking news channel. I remember when there was major flooding all over Germany and they didnt really have much live coverage. Sometimes there might be a ticker but thats about it. They usually will stick with the documentaries and its rare they break from that. Which often makes me pass the channel by because they arent really covering anything happening in Germany. But this graphics package is very nice and clean looking. Seemingly they kept the globe with the coloured lines that emanate from global cities back to the Germany. Overall a very basic look but serviceable.

That's definitely not an all-new look, but certainly more than just some minor tweaks. The lower thirds are pretty minimal and almost documentary-like, but I like them. I've been waiting for a news channel to eventually try plain text with drop shadows over video rather than the usual boxy look that's everywhere.

Overall, I'd say it's a nice, smart update that contemporizes DW a little better. It's a better update than the much more hyped France 24 refresh.
[-] The following 2 users Like Charles's post:
  • mouseboy33, Stuart

After saying goodbye to most of TVNZ's news programmes, Newshub's Late bulletin bid farewell tonight:
www.youtube.com 

News Now, a new news channel in Portugal, is to start by the first half of 2024. Medialivre, who also owns the tabloid paper TV channel CMTV, promises the channel would consists of hard facts and fast-paced bulletins, with former Portuguese PM António Costa as part of the personalities lineup.
observador.pt 

Watch this space...
WestKnightTV - on DeviantArt

So I noticed a rather different looking set on NRK's Dagsrevyen and I'm not too sure about it but seems their corporate rebrand rollout on TV is imminent, even though their radio stations have the new logos already.
I think this might be a temporary set for now until the new look graphics debut on screen, I dunno.
tv.nrk.no 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Edogawa Ranpo's post:
  • JosiahStuart

RE: TG2 - just realised they have attempted to revive the retro '2' logo before, albeit less front and centre. Just a few years ago with these (rather cheesy) titles...

www.youtube.com 

And here it is in one of its original forms, accompanied by the familiar sample of 'Morning is Come Again' by Michel Colombier.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 3 users Like lookoutwales's post:
  • AJB39, ArthurVX, JosiahStuart