ITV News

(18-06-2024, 10:32 PM)Ben Shatliff Wrote:  Without causing any panic or intrigue; but Mary Nightingale has not presented in a while. Unless she has been on leave with the early calling of the Election and possibly now rehearsing for Election Coverage.

She often has a lot of the summer off I believe, I think last year she was off for nearly 2 months over the summer. But like you say, she might be gearing up for the election coverage, especially the final week of campaigning but then Tom Bradby normally covers the election.
[-] The following 3 users Like mrarg1393's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, bkman1990, UTVLifer

I wouldn’t be surprised if she’s winding down to retirement. She used to do 4 days per week, now she seems to do 3 and often less, and disappears for weeks as well

I very much doubt she is ‘rehearsing the election’ considering she isn’t hosting it

If there was an X account monitoring her appearances she’d be on a much lower percentage than Lorraine Kelly is.

It’ll be a shame as she must be now by far the longest running newscaster presenting the same programme

Pretty sure she was on only a week or two ago. The Evening News is decimated by the Euros coverage this week - if it's on at all it's cut to 10-15 minutes or if they're lucky they get half an hour. I suspect it's always been planned she wouldn't present the days they air shorter bulletins and as such might as well take a week or two off.
[-] The following 4 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Ben Shatliff, bkman1990, UTVLifer

(18-06-2024, 10:49 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Pretty sure she was on only a week or two ago. The Evening News is decimated by the Euros coverage this week - if it's on at all it's cut to 10-15 minutes or if they're lucky they get half an hour. I suspect it's always been planned she wouldn't present the days they air shorter bulletins and as such might as well take a week or two off.

She hasn’t been on since the week before half term, coincidentally the day the general election was called.

I didn't think speculation on presenters was allowed here?

Are the rules from Ofcom that news bulletins can be short when football is on?

I've never understood why, especially on ITV you get '15mins'. They should have to fit in their requirements if its a weekday. Not Ofcoms problem that ITV only have 1hr long shows nowadays.

Highly paid and popular newsreaders all get long holiday time - some are lucky enough to get 15 weeks holiday per year, which is maybe what Mary has now with her current contract.

Amazing really Mary is coming up to her 25th year on the ITV Evening News - on the national network bulletins I think only Krishnan Guru Murphy has been around slightly longer, though Sophie Raworth not far off if you include her stint on Breakfast. I think Mary though has had the longest stint in effectively the same role.
[-] The following 2 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, bkman1990

Obviously she presents much less these days, but Fiona Bruce has done 25 years now on national network bulletins, slightly longer if you include her earlier cover
[-] The following 3 users Like excel99's post:
  • bkman1990, thePineapple, TVfan23

(19-06-2024, 07:25 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Amazing really Mary is coming up to her 25th year on the ITV Evening News - on the national network bulletins I think only Krishnan Guru Murphy has been around slightly longer, though Sophie Raworth not far off if you include her stint on Breakfast. I think Mary though has had the longest stint in effectively the same role.

Has anybody else ever presented the same programme on a National basis for that time or longer?

If you look historically you would have to say Sir Trevor was in with a shout, or Jon Snow with C4 News.
[-] The following 2 users Like Steve in Pudsey's post:
  • Ben Shatliff, bkman1990