Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

(26-05-2024, 11:53 AM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Nice to have a grown up back in charge Big Grin

they could have been presenting since April 2023, while they colleagues were working hard to launch a merged channel… but they decided they were too good for the job they were given…
[-] The following 3 users Like lobster's post:
  • all new phil, bkman1990, zzStudioKSBJ

(26-05-2024, 11:53 AM)DeMarkay Wrote:  Nice to have a grown up back in charge Big Grin

I wonder how the excellent newer presenters feel reading this.
[-] The following 9 users Like Chud's post:
  • arbrax, bkman1990, Gordonthegopher, interestednovice, Jeff, London Lite, Michael Wotton, TVHead, zzStudioKSBJ

Really good to have Martine back. Her tweet wasn’t in any way cringe - but well deserved exasperation on her part.

Was a joy to see how happy she was saying “Live from London…”

So good to be back to normal with the regulars back replacing unknown faces.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 15 users Like Moz's post:
  • AJB39, alfiejmulcahy, AndrewP, bkman1990, BlightyExPat, Brekkie, chrisherald, DeMarkay, GMc, interestednovice, JamieD, London Lite, Ma76, Reith85, Transmission

I notice that Newscast has a new(ish) studio/set, has it been said where that is being made these days? I'm assuming it's not the Millbank talks studio redressed.

I have no problem with “unknown faces”, but it is nice to see Martine back.
[-] The following 8 users Like Scrotnig's post:
  • bkman1990, DeMarkay, interestednovice, Jeff, London Lite, Ma76, oscillon, Reith85

(26-05-2024, 02:33 PM)Steve in Pudsey Wrote:  I notice that Newscast has a new(ish) studio/set, has it been said where that is being made these days? I'm assuming it's not the Millbank talks studio redressed.
This is the visualised podcast studio located in Broadcasting House, it's shared between the various podcasts (Newscast, Ukrainecast, Reliable Sauce, etc.) and has had a few outings on the NC for awards season specials… Just gone back to a Chris Cook tweet, it's Studio S46.

Though the Westminster studio is still used for the "official" televised episode on Thursdays, though from clips I've seen over the last year or so on Twitter, it seems like it was usually the case that the podcast only episodes were recorded in BH.

On a related note, I do think having Newscast broadcast daily on the News Channel for the election period makes a lot of sense, I have thought before that it's surely an easy way to allow more UK content given it's visualised for social media clips anyway.

(26-05-2024, 12:42 PM)lobster Wrote:  they could have been presenting since April 2023, while they colleagues were working hard to launch a merged channel… but they decided they were too good for the job they were given…

That's not what happened. That's not how large organisations work. That's not the motivation of those involved.

As you've been told. Frequently.

This BBC fangirling is extreme, please stop making nonsense up - you don't know the motivations are different to those presented in a legal witness statement.

More to the point, an independent legal process has decided there is an arguable case in law, that's deserves a full examination for both sides of the dispute.

Newscast does seem to have the ‘discussion’ style of show very nicely nailed. It sits much better than the context for me, despite it just being 2/3/4 people chatting for half an hour.

I think as it’s generally BBC talent, it’s relatively balanced, with decent analysis - whilst at the same time not stuffy.

Maybe part of the success is it is only half an hour. Maybe the context style fails for me due to the 2 hour length.

If for example Newsnight became Newscast in all but name, it could be fab - albeit not what newsnight ever has been in the past which would be a loss.
[-] The following 7 users Like GraemeT88's post:
  • AndrewP, bkman1990, chrisherald, interestednovice, Jeff, thePineapple, UTVLifer

Interesting article in The Guardian on the BBC News app and its notifications, describing the person who sends as the 'most powerful person in the British media' during the election. That may seem a little hyperbolic, but once you do step back and think about it, it is the biggest form of media consumption around, however frivolous some of the notifications are. Interesting to see the quality of the notifications are being monitored from up high in the BBC, the short word limit could cause issues withnless room for nuance.

www.theguardian.com 
[-] The following 5 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • AndrewP, chrisherald, interestednovice, Ma76, Omnipresent

(26-05-2024, 09:36 PM)RhysJR Wrote:  Interesting article in The Guardian on the BBC News app and its notifications, describing the person who sends as the 'most powerful person in the British media' during the election. That may seem a little hyperbolic, but once you do step back and think about it, it is the biggest form of media consumption around, however frivolous some of the notifications are. Interesting to see the quality of the notifications are being monitored from up high in the BBC, the short word limit could cause issues withnless room for nuance.

www.theguardian.com 

Interesting to note in it the fact the bbc news at six is down to 3.2 million from just under 4m (I’m sure I read somewhere). I’ve seen it mentioned a few places that they used to say it was the George Alagiah effect. It does pose the question are the figures down because there is hasn’t been a consistent presenter or pair of presenters? I know some think it doesn’t matter but it could be a possibility. People like a familiar trusted face.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 
[-] The following 6 users Like ViridianFan's post:
  • AndrewP, AverageOrangeTurnip, chrisherald, Ma76, Moz, TJTSW
Thread Closed