Thread Closed

BBC News Pres: Apr 2023 - Jun 2024 (BBC News Channel/BBC One)

I suspect it's just more the general downward trend of ratings over the last few years especially. More often than not the news bulletins, especially the regional news bulletins, are the highest rated programmes of the night.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • interestednovice

Is this Kasia Madera’s first reappearance today?

Also I take it UK and World are split during the day now for the election? What’s on now feels very much like the news channel of old.
[-] The following 1 user Likes all new phil's post:
  • interestednovice

Can they really do this for six weeks though then just go back to what hasn't really worked for the last year?
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • chrisherald, fatal paper cut, interestednovice, Ma76, UTVLifer

(27-05-2024, 11:00 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Can they really do this for six weeks though then just go back to what hasn't really worked for the last year?
I'd say the chances of an 'after the success of...' press release or some kind of review are not zero.
[-] The following 7 users Like DTV's post:
  • AndrewP, bilky asko, Brekkie, interestednovice, Ma76, Stuart, UTVLifer

The problem is how they can justify returning to the status quo if they show that they can work it out with the resources that they have.

(28-05-2024, 03:58 AM)Lec_Ver16 Wrote:  The problem is how they can justify returning to the status quo if they show that they can work it out with the resources that they have.

The question is do they have the resources. They knew there would be an election in this financial year so presumably budgeted for that service for the election period.
[-] The following 5 users Like m_in_m's post:
  • arbrax, interestednovice, Ma76, oscillon, UTVLifer

(28-05-2024, 06:11 AM)m_in_m Wrote:  The question is do they have the resources. They knew there would be an election in this financial year so presumably budgeted for that service for the election period.
I think I suggested if before, but I wouldn't be surprised if the relatively austere nature of the last year was them going for the most minimal route and working out what they had money to do on top of that. Plus, the actual 'studio' production costs (presenters + on air teams, etc.) are only a fraction of the channel's budget, so it's not doubling the budget to produce a second programme as it were.
[-] The following 2 users Like DTV's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76

I do think there’s an argument for the news channel (post election) having a permanent opt out between, say, 11:00-13:00 and 14:00-16:00. Four hours a day could realistically be staffed by a single shift in terms of crew and studio (and only a slight uptick in what’s already provided by the breaking opt-out team) while also providing quality UK output which can be packaged and reused across the BBC (interviews, analysis segments etc.) and cover the periods of the day where breaking news and live events are most likely.

I appreciate there will be slightly higher news gathering costs as a result (including booking guests) and any live OBs, but a good compromise over running two full time channels. I actually don’t think the channel being merged has been a major problem outside of those four hours. From June you’ll already have UK coverage simulcast from 6-9, 1pm-2pm and at 6pm and 10pm. The current 9-11am tends to focus more on a fast paced bulletin than in-depth coverage of international stories.

I think a lot of the other problems with the channel have been focussing on a debate-style format at times (and presentation) rather than running order.
[-] The following 1 user Likes House's post:
  • interestednovice

This thread is temporarily closed, as it's being used as a means of getting around the moderation of the election thread.

A reminder to those who sprinted to the election thread this morning to post a link to a BBC News article confirming presenters for election night - one of the forum's rules:

14. Posting a link to a news article, website or any social media item without comment is not permitted, unless, for example, it is used as a means of answering a question from an earlier post. Starting a new thread in this manner will result in the thread being deleted.

This is a discussion forum, not a noticeboard.

And for the avoidance of doubt, simply regurgitating chunks of news articles/press releases doesn't constitute discussion either.

Thread reopened.

If you wish to discuss General Election coverage, please do so in the dedicated thread here: pres.cafe 

Recent general election-specific posts in this BBC News thread have moved across to the General Election thread.
[-] The following 5 users Like Admin PC's post:
  • AndrewP, dvboy, Michael Wotton, RhysJR, thePineapple
Thread Closed