Thread Closed

2024 Local Elections

(02-05-2024, 08:16 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  They commented during the coverage in how they'd seen the most audience engagement with their results program ever and Prof Richard Wyn Jones (Wales' answer to John Curtis) commented how much better it was for engagement in Welsh democracy for people to be able to follow the results live when everyone was awake.

In the case of the Senedd election, I suspect part of that might have boiled down to how there were still some Covid regulations to a degree in place at the time (what with Wales moving at a slower pace out of the second lockdown)

Don’t recall there being a Wales-only results show for the council elections the following year.

Covered both of those for local radio - and the Senedd election in particular was at a snail’s pace with the time-consuming business of verification (we covered two constituencies - neither came in till the 5/6pm hour even though the result in both Plaid strongholds was abundantly clear)

(02-05-2024, 08:29 PM)lookoutwales Wrote:  Covered both of those for local radio - and the Senedd election in particular was at a snail’s pace with the time-consuming business of verification (we covered two constituencies - neither came in till the 5/6pm hour even though the result in both Plaid strongholds was abundantly clear)

This is what gave BBC Wales it's best viewing figures for an election results program though, as most results were coming in through the early and late evening. I doubt the media and the wider UK would be as patient for the results of a GE though.

At least Sky are continuing with coverage into Saturday, when most of the big mayoral elections will be coming in (London, Greater Manchester, West Midlands, both West and South Yorkshire) plus more councils and PCCs.

I wonder if the news channel will breakaway for most of the day on Saturday as the results continue to come in. Or if international viewers will be subjected to our local elections results

Speaking of Sky, they’re are deploying Jonathon Samuels, as has become tradition, overnight along with Tamera Cohen, holding back the big guns for tomorrow

x.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes UTVLifer's post:
  • London Lite

(02-05-2024, 08:12 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  Part of the appeal of general elections is the fact most the admin is done when you sleep and you can just get the result the next morning.

Indeed, for most only barely-interested, “normal” people.

For political geeks, the overnight coverage is part of the fun, democracy in action, and all that - broadcasters can probably afford to cover it every 5 years or so!

(02-05-2024, 07:33 PM)Radio_man Wrote:  With the majority of the council, mayoral and police & crime commissioner results expected tomorrow, surely it would make more sense to have the 'A' team of Laura K, Chris Mason, Reeta C and Prof John Curtis on all day tomorrow rather than overnight tonight?

Indeed, Clive just mentioned this on the News at Ten, after Laura did a teaser for the election programme. He described it as a “ top team”!
[-] The following 1 user Likes interestednovice's post:
  • Richard H

Oooh Newsnight have changed things up a bit, lowering the high of the desk and bringing the sofa over to in front of the screens

Looks very old Studio B

A preview of the live feeds coming into NBH courtesy of Newsnight:

[-] The following 3 users Like Omnipresent's post:
  • bkman1990, chrisherald, UTVLifer

I won't be as outraged as the MS here, but an unfortunate, poor choice of wording there. (Only Police and Crime Commissioner elections in Wales today, nothing else).

x.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like RhysJR's post:
  • bkman1990, UTVLifer

It’s very interesting seeing the two parties representatives on Newsnight getting a little bit of a humbling from Prof John Curtice live on air
[-] The following 3 users Like UTVLifer's post:
  • bkman1990, RhysJR, Stuart

Laura in the studio ready to go…

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!

They've been plugging the visualised version of R4's coverage on-air, I had a look and it's very interesting to look at.
Makes you question the old adage "The pictures are better on radio". Wink

Have they done this for other elections?

up.metropol247.co.uk 
Web Image

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 2 users Like AndrewP's post:
  • chrisherald, oscillon
Thread Closed