The Big Breakfast Discussion

(14-06-2023, 01:25 AM)Johnr Wrote:  I'll be brutally honest and admit I didn't find Johnny that great on Packed Lunch - he mainly just seemed to be talking over everybody constantly - maybe just a side effect of him mainly being a radio presenter these days so used to doing a lot of talking!

Denise was good but not really a surprise as she is a regular and often covers for Steph anyway

I agree to an extent, though I think it's also because he's out of practice a) presenting for television, and b) presenting with a co-host. It's something he'd quickly ease back into if they ended up doing something regularly.

Part of me wonders if this was done as a backdoor experiment to see how they work together these days - e.g. for a summer run of something. But part of me also thinks there could just be some Big Breakfast fans on the production team who fancied a dose of nostalgia!

If it was done to test the waters, I think they proved there's still some magic there; but I also think it's wrong for 'Packed Lunch'. Yesterday was effectively a completely different show just making use of the same set, so I actually wouldn't be surprised to see C4 try exactly that in a more official capacity if Steph takes a break - i.e. A summer run of a new show hosted by J&D, but using the same bare set, crew and facilities as Packed Lunch. It would certainly be cheaper than bringing back the Brekkie again, and could be easily expanded upon or quietly dropped depending on how it did.

If you were used to Johnny from back when, you probably would have thought that actually he toned down his tendency to talk over people. He definitely wasn’t as bad as he used to be.

Also interesting to see Denise have more of a role in More Tea Vicar. Her nun role used to be completely silent, so seems as if they agreed between themselves for them both to have equal prominence in the skit.

I was rather disappointed that the whole studio didn’t all join in with singing “How many cups!”. Baroness Varsai looked particularly perplexed with what was going on.

(15-06-2023, 04:29 PM)RDJ Wrote:  Also interesting to see Denise have more of a role in More Tea Vicar. Her nun role used to be completely silent, so seems as if they agreed between themselves for them both to have equal prominence in the skit.
Silent but she was the star of the sketches.  I think the role was somewhat toned down for the C4 of today - those competition characters used to be quite risqué- and even more so when Liza Tarbuck took over.

Johnny and Denise did a best forgotten BBC1 show and Capital Breakfast together in the years after leaving The Big Breakfast but did Chris and Gaby ever present anything together after the show?

Not on screen irrc.
Chris was the producer of The Terry and Gaby show on C5, I think his his production company made it.

(16-06-2023, 08:55 PM)cando Wrote:  Not on screen irrc.
Chris was the producer of The Terry and Gaby  show on C5, I think his his production company made it.

That’s correct, it was a UMTV production. Chris quite famously said when the show started that if Terry & Gaby failed he would give up TV and become a market stall holder. True to his word at the end of the last episode you had Chris running a market stall. 

FWIW it was commissioned for a whole year and in all fairness to Channel 5, they stuck with it. Channel 5 of today certainly wouldn’t have.
[-] The following 1 user Likes nwtv2003's post:
  • Pips2022

If it was on Channel 5 these days, it would be renamed each day, e..g. The Gaby and Terry Show, Wogan and Roslin, The Show: Terry and Gaby

They’d also talk about the royals and Yorkshire for most of the programme

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes VMPhil's post:
  • Pips2022

(17-06-2023, 11:28 AM)VMPhil Wrote:  If it was on Channel 5 these days, it would be remained each day, e..g. The Gaby and Terry Show, Wogan and Roslin, The Show: Terry and Gaby

They’d also talk about the royals and Yorkshire for most of the programme

That is simply not true that they would talk about royals and Yorkshire nor renaming it everyday.

(17-06-2023, 11:37 AM)XIII Wrote:  That is simply not true that they would talk about royals and Yorkshire nor renaming it everyday.

Oh ok then.
[-] The following 7 users Like all new phil's post:
  • alfiejmulcahy, Brekkie, Hellsloot, Joe, nwtv2003, strollfan, VMPhil

Stumbled on this episode from early 2000 on screenocean today which features a clean version of the 98-2000 end credits:
licensing.screenocean.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes JasonB's post:
  • Roger Darthwell