TV Mistakes/Breakdowns

Interesting there if you pause it in the right place and step back an forth frame by frame, you can see the entire character set, its almost like the software was effectively self testing and cut to its own output a few frames too early.

But yes those are (or were) generated by the transmitter when it lost its signal, although according to the comments a continuity announcer said it was more widespread than just one transmitter.

That being said, I would have thought there would have been a visual roll on the snapback to transmission once the transmitter gets its signal back, bearing in mind those are exaggerated on home recordings.

I think the caption was generated by the same hardware as the ETP-1 test card and could do a few messages depending on the situation. That may explain the reset

GREAT! Movies the past few hours has been giving me a black screen, no screenbug, just sound. The rest of the GREAT! channels are working fine though, and when reporting this to someone else, it's giving them picture. Irish feed exclusive error or not?

(11-05-2024, 05:19 PM)nionlogos18 Wrote:  GREAT! Movies the past few hours has been giving me a black screen, no screenbug, just sound. The rest of the GREAT! channels are working fine though, and when reporting this to someone else, it's giving them picture. Irish feed exclusive error or not?
Just checked it here in the UK (on Virgin), and there are no issues.

(11-05-2024, 06:01 PM)TVFan Wrote:  Just checked it here in the UK (on Virgin), and there are no issues.

Just checked again, and I'm still getting the black screen. Will check again tomorrow to see if this persists

Are you watching on Freeview? The Great! channels have a overlay for their catchup service and it sometimes glitches on my TV when I tune to that channel and makes the screen look entirely black. Pressing exit or backup on your remote might fix it.

(12-05-2024, 10:25 AM)rick Wrote:  Are you watching on Freeview? The Great! channels have a overlay for their catchup service and it sometimes glitches on my TV when I tune to that channel and makes the screen look entirely black. Pressing exit or backup on your remote might fix it.

I'm watching on Sky Q. Checked the channel this morning, and I'm still getting a black screen, so it definitely looks like a me issue at this point. Wasn't happening a few days ago either.

(10-05-2024, 06:54 PM)Neil Jones Wrote:  Interesting there if you pause it in the right place and step back an forth frame by frame, you can see the entire character set, its almost like the software was effectively self testing and cut to its own output a few frames too early.

But yes those are (or were) generated by the transmitter when it lost its signal, although according to the comments a continuity announcer said it was more widespread than just one transmitter.

That being said, I would have thought there would have been a visual roll on the snapback to transmission once the transmitter gets its signal back, bearing in mind those are exaggerated on home recordings.

That night's closedown has been added - it was indeed a network fault and according to Gary Terzza, they ended up staying on air half an hour later than planned.

And by the looks of that night's final junction, there were still a few playout problems at Horseferry Road.

www.youtube.com 

The "Programmes resume at 6:15" caption seems strange, they'd usually be running 4-tel on view during closedown. They did use a similar caption (in a different design) during the first half of 1993, when ETP-1 had been discontinued and 4-tel on view also vanished for several months, and yet another design from nights where they'd re-open up briefly to show a couple of schools programmes then close down again- but this is neither. Maybe the issues caused by the power cut (or whatever it was that took Channel 4 off air) stopped them being able to run 4-Tel?
[-] The following 1 user Likes James2001's post:
  • lookoutwales

wondering what that EU 16:9 slide was about. I know Ch4 was using PALplus in the 90s and that was one of its tricks, but when would the slide have been used?

I assume it wasn't anything to do with the preceding film - doubt the EU paid for it to be rescanned!