The BBC Chameleon Thread

(06-05-2024, 08:44 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  That's been the case I believe since at least 2011, as an archive post on the blue place suggests.
I think its been longer than that though, possibly since the 1997 rebrand?

Yes it was in October 1997. I first recall seeing it in on the coverage of the London Motor Show broadcast on 19th October that month, and thought it very odd how the logo seemingly randomly popped up during the opening titles - but before long it became clear this was going to become the norm.

youtu.be 
[-] The following 2 users Like Robert Williams's post:
  • insert_good_username_here, Ma76

(06-05-2024, 02:29 AM)AndrewP Wrote:  That reminds me of a query I've had for a while: when did the BBC start adding a fade of the blocks at the beginning of programmes, and when did it stop being prescribed?
Since 1997, and never, are the answers to those questions. They became more flexible about how the BBC logo was presented rather than it having to fade in (for example the Capaldi and Whittaker era Doctor Who titles had it animate in with the show logo) - but it's still mandatory for it to be there.

What made it necessary for the logo to show up at the start of programmes in the first place? No UK broadcaster did it before and, other than a brief stint from ITV after the 2013 rebrand, none of them have done it since.

I read somewhere that part of it was because of the transition between 4:3 and 16:9 and the blocks being in the proper shape would show that something was going out properly. Not that there weren't some shows which had the logo in the wrong aspect ratio, and of course that switch is long over, by 20-odd years.

I guess it also helps re-inforce the BBC branding, especially when these shows are sold internationally or on non-BBC channels and streaming (though of course it appears on countless shows that are never going to be seen outside the UK or the BBC's own channels).
[-] The following 2 users Like James2001's post:
  • Larry the Loafer, Ma76

Central would routinely include their logo at the start of a programme when viewed on other channels, Thames would occasionally too. But BBC content would be routinely shown on the UKTV channels, so putting the logo at the start or programme title was a forward thinking move for content being shown elsewhere.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mdta's post:
  • Ma76

(06-05-2024, 10:25 AM)JAS84 Wrote:  ...but it's still mandatory for it to be there.
I don't think so, two current programmes that come to mind that are void of logo is Homes Under The Hammer and Songs of Praise.
Nor did The Traitors.
I do remember seeing a programme - I think a little documentary - that had the Reith blocks fade in at the beginning. It does look a bit odd with them, the subtle fade didn't really suit the Reith blocks.

I had a quick flick through Miranda as I remembered they used to fade the blocks after the first joke or so.
Series 1 and 2 has them, Series 3 (Boxing Day 2012-Jan2013) didn't have them, but the two specials (Christmas 2014 & NYD 2015) did.
Could be a real rabbit hole to go down to pinpoint when it stopped being widely used.

At school they taught me how to be
So pure in thought and word and deed
They didn't quite succeed...
[-] The following 1 user Likes AndrewP's post:
  • Ma76

Other networks around Europe do it as well, though I wonder if they were simply picking up on the BBC doing it and then copying it, or if the BBC decided to copy them?

(06-05-2024, 12:10 PM)James2001 Wrote:  I read somewhere that part of it was because of the transition between 4:3 and 16:9 and the blocks being in the proper shape would show that something was going out properly. Not that there weren't some shows which had the logo in the wrong aspect ratio, and of course that switch is long over, by 20-odd years.

I remember bringing up this point on TVF and being told that probably wasn’t the case because there were other ways of making sure the aspect ratio was correct.

I’ve always liked it as it is a great way of saying this is a programme funded by your licence fee - and a great way internationally to “brand” the programme as a BBC one.

Regarding this kind of usage being stopped - there were rumours that it was going to stop when the new logo was introduced, but this hasn’t been the case. It has always been the case that not every programme complies with it - it’s probably in the requirements but no-one enforces it if it’s not there.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]
[-] The following 2 users Like VMPhil's post:
  • fanoftv, Ma76

I might have misremembered, but originally weren’t the blocks only on programmes made by the BBC, and not by independents?

I think some independents did start adding the logo, and then of course BBC Studios was spun off as a commercial entity, further muddying the waters. It just feels like the practice has mostly fallen by the wayside, albeit with some programmes like Gardeners’ World continuing it.

I always thought it was a very simple but effective way of promoting and reinforcing the BBC brand.
[-] The following 2 users Like Spencer's post:
  • Ma76, Stuart

I forgot to say - CBBC/CBeebies must be strict on it because it seems like most of their programmes have a big BBC logo next to the show title.

[Image: 1592580878_1869298444.svg]