ITV Channel Brand Refresh (15th November and Beyond)

Not sure if anyone has caught this yet but the promo for The Fortune Hotel has the "NEW" text really small and it’s says "hEW" instead.

I think this is the correct place to put this but ITV are about to cut 200 jobs with a restructure of the media and entertainment division.

www.telegraph.co.uk 

To be honest I think this is all the reason for streaming, They don't get as many viewers on their liner channels because of streaming services, which also means they don't have the money to buy sport and then get advertising revenue up. Streaming is the worst IMO

I think the big problem for the linear channels is the move of subscription streamers to taking advertising alongside a smalker subscription fee.

Netflix etc. were not competition for advertisers until a year or so ago and although the shift to streaming had changed the market over the last decade the legacy broadcasters were shifting with it and had somewhat adapted with it as the subscription model challenged the pay-TV industry most directly and bought in customers who previously hadn't subscribed to service. Now the ad supported model challenges them directly and offers more targeted campaigns which advertisers are willing to pay a significant premium for.

Meanwhile as customers are happy to downgrade their pay subscriptions and pay a lesser fee in return for a few ads they are not so happy to pay a similar fee to get their ITVX/C4 content ad free.

(22-05-2024, 09:31 AM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  To be honest I think this is all the reason for streaming, They don't get as many viewers on their liner channels because of streaming services, which also means they don't have the money to buy sport and then get advertising revenue up. Streaming is the worst IMO

The viewer drain from the main PSB channels in this country started long before Netflix and friends came along.
You can blame satellite and cable TV in the first instance, and the loading of Freeview with ever increasing number of channels and then YouTube, and then full blown streaming.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Neil Jones's post:
  • Brekkie

(22-05-2024, 10:19 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  The viewer drain from the main PSB channels in this country started long before Netflix and friends came along.
You can blame satellite and cable TV in the first instance, and the loading of Freeview with ever increasing number of channels and then YouTube, and then full blown streaming.

Before Streaming came along and things were released in box sets I think things were better. For Example something like the Tourist might have got over 5m on BBC 1 but it only got 1m

I have no idea how things will get better, I think too many people are excepting paying for things when in the past they wouldn't

(22-05-2024, 10:47 AM)shropshireguy28 Wrote:  Before Streaming came along and things were released in box sets I think things were better. For Example something like the Tourist might have got over 5m on BBC 1 but it only got 1m

I have no idea how things will get better, I think too many people are excepting paying for things when in the past they wouldn't

But that technology didn't exist for them to pay for. Why would you pay for something you coudn't use and that didn't exist in the first place?

If we had the technology to make Netflix or an equivalent of it viable in the 1970s, I'm sure there would have some takeup of it. I mean we had satellite technology in the 1960s, and if that had become capable of being used for domestic receivership of signals (satellites being intended initially for communications with TV reception being added about a decade later), well all bets would have been off as to where the audience could have gone.

(22-05-2024, 11:18 AM)Neil Jones Wrote:  But that technology didn't exist for them to pay for. Why would you pay for something you coudn't use and that didn't exist in the first place?

If we had the technology to make Netflix or an equivalent of it viable in the 1970s, I'm sure there would have some takeup of it. I mean we had satellite technology in the 1960s, and if that had become capable of being used for domestic receivership of signals (satellites being intended initially for communications with TV reception being added about a decade later), well all bets would have been off as to where the audience could have gone.

I don't think we would have done to be honest, I think alot of old people/Parents age were more sensible back then. My Grandad refused to pay for sky because of the price of it. All together Netflix, Disney, Paramount costs alot more then a good old cinema trip.
[-] The following 2 users Like shropshireguy28's post:
  • AndrewP, chinamug

ITV do seem to have backed off slightly on releasing content months in advance on ITVX - comedy perhaps still the exception but original UK drama is now more likely to launch on the streamer alongside the linear airing rather than months earlier, and there they can support each other. There are arguments for and against box sets versus weekly releases and ultimately it's the financials that matter but the ability to sell more targetted advertising online might mean that it's more beneficial for ITV to have viewers watching first on ITVX rather than contributing to the overnight figure on ITV1.
[-] The following 5 users Like Brekkie's post:
  • AndrewP, Jeff, Ma76, thomalex, UTVLifer

Not sure how long for since it's unwatchable dross these days but I see Corrie is FINALLY not using Reem for the writer/director credits over the opening scenes, but ITV's new font.

Quite why they can't use Trajan(?) to much the title card, as they did when the titles first launched in 2010 for a time, escapes me but we are where we are.