BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(24-01-2023, 07:51 PM)dvboy Wrote:  
(24-01-2023, 06:33 PM)ASnep Wrote:  For that they need to clear 10818 V first. Sky apparently haven't switched BBC Three, CBBC and BBC News to the Nightlight yet.

Apologies if I've missed it but could someone explain to me what Nightlight means in this context please? I thought it was just the name of the BBC One England SD channel?
It's the name that's being given to the one remaining satellite transponder with SD BBC services on it.

Imagine that you have an old SD only reviever, all the other BBC transponders will soon have gone dark to you. There's just one transmission your receiver can see.... that's the nightlight.

It will/does contain one of every BBC service, so no region/nations and is just temporary, enough time (hopefully) for everyone to replace their receivers
[-] The following 5 users Like Stooky Bill's post:
  • ASnep, bkman1990, dvboy, harshy, London Lite

in a broadcast sense it has also been used for the US digital TV switchover, where one station in a given market was directed to stay on the air for a few weeks to show an information loop

so, vaguely similar to the situation here

Nightlight is the term used in the USA for the residual “old technology”
Service when new technology is being installed
So NTSC when ATSC 1 rollout
And ATSC 1 (May be from a different mast) at ATSC 3 rollout

Yep this is what the nightlight stations showed after they closed down on analog(ue)

youtu.be 

ASnep Wrote:For that they need to clear 10818 V first.
10818 V is now showing as cleared.

www.digitalbitrate.com 

Nick Harvey
Carbuncle Corner - The Monstrous Lump on the World Wide Web
[-] The following 2 users Like Nick Harvey's post:
  • ASnep, Jimbo2022

(25-01-2023, 02:26 PM)Nick Harvey Wrote:  
ASnep Wrote:For that they need to clear 10818 V first.
10818 V is now showing as cleared.

www.digitalbitrate.com 

Went off completely at 1400

Does anyone know if there's any plans in the medium to long term to do something similar on Freeview. I thought I'd spotted the equivalent of the Freesat channel 799 screen tucked away on Freeview recently.

Obviously this couldn't happen until PSB3 becomes fully regionalised to support local BBC One HD in the English regions. Once that has been completed there may be a case for rolling out a version of Nightlight so that PSB1 effectively only contains variations for the nations. I assume that would also make it easier for PSB1 to upgrade from DVB-T to DVB-T2 at some point in the future, even if at least one BBC SD channel had to move over to PSB2 to provide a limited service for older devices.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(25-01-2023, 03:25 PM)Keith Wrote:  Does anyone know if there's any plans in the medium to long term to do something similar on Freeview.  I thought I'd spotted the equivalent of the Freesat channel 799 screen tucked away on Freeview recently.

Obviously this couldn't happen until PSB3 becomes fully regionalised to support local BBC One HD in the English regions.  Once that has been completed there may be a case for rolling out a version of Nightlight so that PSB1 effectively only contains variations for the nations.  I assume that would also make it easier for PSB1 to upgrade from DVB-T to DVB-T2 at some point in the future, even if at least one BBC SD channel had to move over to PSB2 to provide a limited service for older devices.
Freeview will get regional HD BBC1 very soon, but there's no plan to de-regionalise or convert PSB1 to T2. 

There's not the same upgrade path for SD box owners as there is with Sky and getting to the stage where there are HD regions has been a big enough project for now I suspect. 

That's not to say it won't ever happen, and yes doing the same on DTT will probably be a good way to do it. Thing is that the BBC don't have enough services to fill PSB1 with HD. I suspect any move like that would involve a big reshuffle of PSB channels - with both PSB 1 and 2 going T2 converting all their channels to HD. PSB3 has 7 HD services, so that would be space for 23 HD slots for BBC, ITV, C4 and C5

But anything like that would have to be agreed by everyone involved
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stooky Bill's post:
  • Jimbo2022

(25-01-2023, 03:39 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Thing is that the BBC don't have enough services to fill PSB1 with HD.

They currently have 7 TV services on PSB1 in England, Wales and NI and 9 services in Scotland, plus the radio services. PSB3 currently has 7 services in HD and 2 in SD. The radio services on PSB1 basically require as much bandwidth as the 2 SD services on PSB3, even if you convert them to AAC.

In Scotland they wouldn't have enough space to fit all services on one mux, everywhere else it basically just fits.

(25-01-2023, 05:47 PM)ASnep Wrote:  
(25-01-2023, 03:39 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Thing is that the BBC don't have enough services to fill PSB1 with HD.

They currently have 7 TV services on PSB1 in England, Wales and NI and 9 services in Scotland, plus the radio services. PSB3 currently has 7 services in HD and 2 in SD. The radio services on PSB1 basically require as much bandwidth as the 2 SD services on PSB3, even if you convert them to AAC.

In Scotland they wouldn't have enough space to fit all services on one mux, everywhere else it basically just fits.
But they wouldn't need 9 HD services on PSB1 as 4 are already on PSB3. The only extra ones that need HD versions are News, Parliament (although that could stay in SD), Red Button, and the two for Scotland.... although one of them is already in HD in PSB3, replacing BBC3. 

So PSB1 could just have radio, News, Parliament, RB and Alba 

The intention is to close BBC4/CBBC so if that happens the requirement is four on PSB3 and three plus radio on PSB1 .... four in Scotland