BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

BBC One East Midlands HD now testing - using transponder space which has just been cleared of SD services.
[-] The following 4 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • ASnep, bkman1990, harshy, Spencer

(25-01-2023, 06:04 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  But they wouldn't need 9 HD services on PSB1 as 4 are already on PSB3. The only extra ones that need HD versions are News, Parliament (although that could stay in SD), Red Button, and the two for Scotland.... although one of them is already in HD in PSB3, replacing BBC3. 

So PSB1 could just have radio, News, Parliament, RB and Alba 

The intention is to close BBC4/CBBC so if that happens the requirement is four on PSB3 and three plus radio on PSB1 .... four in Scotland

Yes ... if the BBC is allowed too keep two muxes in the event of a switchover. ITV, C4 and C5 also have 9 Services running on PSB2 (not counting the +1), so they would need extra space as well.

Seems to have been a couple of changes to the regions on Sky Stream. All BBC 1 regions are now in the EPG rather than being hidden like they were. It also now looks like the national news is going out in HD - previously it seemed to change to SD at the start of any bulletin that included regional news.

(25-01-2023, 06:59 PM)ASnep Wrote:  
(25-01-2023, 06:04 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  But they wouldn't need 9 HD services on PSB1 as 4 are already on PSB3. The only extra ones that need HD versions are News, Parliament (although that could stay in SD), Red Button, and the two for Scotland.... although one of them is already in HD in PSB3, replacing BBC3. 

So PSB1 could just have radio, News, Parliament, RB and Alba 

The intention is to close BBC4/CBBC so if that happens the requirement is four on PSB3 and three plus radio on PSB1 .... four in Scotland

Yes ... if the BBC is allowed too keep two muxes in the event of a switchover. ITV, C4 and C5 also have 9 Services running on PSB2 (not counting the +1), so they would need extra space as well.
It's worth noting that according to rxtvinfo.com  the BBC-B licence for PSB3 is due to expire, as unlike PSB1 it's not linked to the royal charter.

With that in mind it's not impossible that in a few years time PSB3 could change ownership to save money, maybe to 'Digital 3 and 4 Ltd' who apparently manage PSB2.

That said given its the only DVB-T2 multiplex which will (soon) support English regions I'd have thought BBC One would remain on PSB3 for that reason, even if their other channels moved onto PSB1 if it was upgraded to DVB-T2.

Formerly 'Charlie Wells' of TV Forum.

(25-01-2023, 07:12 PM)Keith Wrote:  
(25-01-2023, 06:59 PM)ASnep Wrote:  Yes ... if the BBC is allowed too keep two muxes in the event of a switchover. ITV, C4 and C5 also have 9 Services running on PSB2 (not counting the +1), so they would need extra space as well.
It's worth noting that according to rxtvinfo.com  the BBC-B licence for PSB3 is due to expire, as unlike PSB1 it's not linked to the royal charter.

With that in mind it's not impossible that in a few years time PSB3 could change ownership to save money, maybe to 'Digital 3 and 4 Ltd' who apparently manage PSB2.

That said given its the only DVB-T2 multiplex which will (soon) support English regions I'd have thought BBC One would remain on PSB3 for that reason, even if their other channels moved onto PSB1 if it was upgraded to DVB-T2.
Yes I'm not sure how the decision was made at switchover to have the BBC running PSB3 but of course its shared with commercial services so wouldn't be part of the Royal Charter. For the first few years it was operated by a commercial company before being brought in house. 

Years ago they advertised the space vacated by BBC3, but only the airtime on PSB3 not PSB1. 

I don't think there's any danger to it not being renewed, and I don't think anyone's not wanting to continue as is. It might not be cheaper for the BBC for it to go elsewhere, and it's been invested in recently 

'Digital 3&4' are the owners of what's now PSB2 and have been ever since the original DTT system opened in 1998. Back then it was carved 3 ways with the ITV companies getting a bit under half, Channel 4 getting just under half and Teletext Ltd getting the rest. The company was formed to hold the license and manage the multiplex

The 3rd PSB was S4Cs (SDN) who had to carry Channel 5

I cannot receive BBC One East Midlands HD on my Satellite box. Is it testing in the clear on Sky and Freesat or is it on a test EPG?

I am currently doing a blind scan to see if it will work on my box at the moment.

PSB 3 was mux B at DTT launch in 1998…
The BBC was gifted mux 1 Itv/ch4 through D3&4 allocated mux 2
S4c /ch5 aka SDN won mux A and On digital won BCD
At the failure of On Digital the BBC NGW won and the BBC (free to view )ltd
Got mux B and NGW C & D .
This allowed the BBC to have mores services at better but rates
and famously grew DAB listetning By putting radio channels “on tv”

At DSO the government decided that there should be an HD mux
Being latest technology etc etc ….
So BBC B became PSB 3…. With HD from BBC itv and ch 4 … not ch 5
Who eventually and with repeated turn downs joined later

(25-01-2023, 09:14 PM)bkman1990 Wrote:  I cannot receive BBC One East Midlands HD on my Satellite box. Is it testing in the clear on Sky and Freesat or is it on a test EPG?

I am currently doing a blind scan to see if it will work on my box at the moment.

10818V SR 23000 FEC 3/4 DVBS2 8PSK
Service label 10374

It's the only service currently on the mux and first appeared today at 1540.
[-] The following 2 users Like Jimbo2022's post:
  • bkman1990, Stuart

(25-01-2023, 07:07 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Seems to have been a couple of changes to the regions on Sky Stream. All BBC 1 regions are now in the EPG rather than being hidden like they were. It also now looks like the national news is going out in HD - previously it seemed to change to SD at the start of any bulletin that included regional news.

Which region are you watching? For those regions still using SD galleries, the picture resolution will drop to SD whenever the regional centre soft-opts into the transmission chain - so, a few moments before or after an opt. Over time this will change as more centres are upgraded to HD kit. But the vast majority of the programme should be in HD.
[-] The following 2 users Like IanJRedman's post:
  • bkman1990, Jimbo2022

It's often barely perceptible were Leeds have soft opted, just their confidence check cue dots give it away on Virgin.