BBC phasing out SD services on satellite in 2023

(21-02-2023, 02:21 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 02:17 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  I actually think what they have is the most understandable, EM HD to me means nothing.
Why does 'WM' mean more to you than 'EM'?  I am interested to know.
WM is used a lot for various institutions in the West Midlands metropolitan county, and of course has been used by the BBC for decades for their radio station.

I don't think EM is used the same.

Although the fact there is a radio station called BBC WM is a good argument for the TV region not to be

(21-02-2023, 03:27 PM)ASnep Wrote:  "BBC One SE HD" was just added to the Freesat EPG on 101 in the South East and on 959 everywhere else.

That means Sky viewers in the South East will get their regional news on 115 today (in addition to 101 in SD) instead of the red slate.
Remember though, it's absolutely not the old BBC1 HD that's changed into BBC 1 SE HD  Big Grin Cool

pres.cafe 

(21-02-2023, 03:53 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Remember though, it's absolutely not the old BBC1 HD that's changed into BBC 1 SE HD  Big Grin Cool

pres.cafe 

It isn't ... it is a new SID that just reuses the video and audio streams of the old BBC One HD. Wink 

If they'd kept the old SID and just renamed it to BBC One SE HD then it would be just BBC1HD becomeing SE HD.

My point being that on a non-Freesat/Sky box, because they use a new SID, you will loose BBC One HD unless you manually programm in one of the new channels.

(21-02-2023, 02:21 PM)Stuart Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 02:17 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  I actually think what they have is the most understandable, EM HD to me means nothing.
Why does 'WM' mean more to you than 'EM'?  I am interested to know.

It doesn't but you said EastHD should be E HD and EMidHD should be EM HD. That is what makes no sense.

WM should be WMidHD.

Here's a look at the closing of South East Today on the new BBC One South East HD, with the HD announcement at the end. Notice the change to HD quality when they air the trailers after the news...

South East Today looks slightly better with a higher bit rate... but is it just me or the picture quality actually got worse? It seems like the blurriness got more noticeable when they broadcast SD feed on HD output...

youtu.be 

By the way, is BBC One HD (the network feed) and the "This is BBC One HD" red slate now officially defunct? Seems like the iPlayer's BBC One HD feed also got switched to BBC One South East...

(21-02-2023, 08:11 PM)ALV Wrote:  By the way, is BBC One HD (the network feed)  and the "This is BBC One HD" red slate now officially defunct? Seems like the iPlayer's BBC One HD feed also got switched to BBC One South East...

I presume it’s still in use on Freeview until BBC One HD is regionalised on there.

Something I’ve wondered… Which, if any, places still don’t have HD on all of LCNs 101 to 105 on satellite (not including BBC One SE HD for the next 16 hours or so)? Can’t remember if there are any ITV1 sub-regions still not in HD, other than maybe Channel Islands.

(21-02-2023, 08:17 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I presume it’s still in use on Freeview until BBC One HD is regionalised on there.

Something I’ve wondered… Which, if any, places still don’t have HD on all of LCNs 101 to 105 on satellite (not including BBC One SE HD for the next 16 hours or so)? Can’t remember if there are any ITV1 sub-regions still not in HD, other than maybe Channel Islands.

Since Channel 4 HD isn't yet on 104 on Freesat: Everywhere on Freesat. Dodgy

STV hasn't gotten around to launch to launch any regions other than STV West in HD on Freesat. The other regions are Sky exclusive.

And ITV Border Scotland is also missing on satellite (on both Freesat and Sky), so does ITV Channel Islands (but you already mentioned that Wink )
[-] The following 1 user Likes ASnep's post:
  • Spencer

(20-02-2023, 10:05 PM)Allanbuzzy Wrote:  
(20-02-2023, 10:01 PM)dvboy Wrote:  what?

I think he meant "Weather on North West is SD at the weekend too." Not sure where Jim got "birth" from North, but autocorrect is a funny thing sometimes.

I think we'll probably be seeing a lot of scraps of "SD" elements until we eventually do get a proper fully standardised HD BBC One.

It auto-corrected but was a typo. B and n are together and I and o are together. Sorry

(21-02-2023, 10:17 PM)ASnep Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 08:17 PM)Spencer Wrote:  I presume it’s still in use on Freeview until BBC One HD is regionalised on there.

Since Channel 4 HD isn't yet on 104 on Freesat: Everywhere on Freesat. Dodgy

STV hasn't gotten around to launch to launch any regions other than STV West in HD on Freesat. The other regions are Sky exclusive.

And ITV Border Scotland is also missing on satellite (on both Freesat and Sky), so does ITV Channel Islands (but you already mentioned that Wink )

Sky Stream have Border Scotland and Channel in HD.
[-] The following 3 users Like London Lite's post:
  • bkman1990, Jimbo2022, Spencer

(21-02-2023, 08:11 PM)ALV Wrote:  By the way, is BBC One HD (the network feed)  and the "This is BBC One HD" red slate now officially defunct? Seems like the iPlayer's BBC One HD feed also got switched to BBC One South East...
It shouldn't be as it still goes out on terrestrial. Although I wonder what the point of having it on the iplayer is I the first place

(21-02-2023, 05:01 PM)ASnep Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 03:53 PM)Stooky Bill Wrote:  Remember though, it's absolutely not the old BBC1 HD that's changed into BBC 1 SE HD  Big Grin Cool

pres.cafe 

It isn't ... it is a new SID that just reuses the video and audio streams of the old BBC One HD. Wink 

If they'd kept the old SID and just renamed it to BBC One SE HD then it would be just BBC1HD becomeing SE HD.
It is to all intents and purposes the old HD channel just with a new name and service ID. Everything else is the same. 

Quote:]My point being that on a non-Freesat/Sky box, because they use a new SID, you will loose BBC One HD unless you manually programm in one of the new channels.
That's not the case now, it's not available no matter what box you have

(21-02-2023, 05:07 PM)aaron_scotland Wrote:  
(21-02-2023, 02:21 PM)Stuart Wrote:  Why does 'WM' mean more to you than 'EM'?  I am interested to know.
It doesn't but you said EastHD should be E HD and EMidHD should be EM HD. That is what makes no sense.

WM should be WMidHD.
If you're looking for a regional BBC One service on Freesat, then I guess you've got the intelligence to understand SW, NW, NE, WM, EM, E, W etc.

Unless you're expecting it to say "BBC One 'down the road 3 miles, turn left and it's the building on the right' HD".

These should be very basic names following the same structure in all regions.  It's common sense in any sort of presentation to do that.

I doubt anyone in the East Midlands would ignore 'BBC One EM HD' thinking it means 'East Middlesbrough' and go hunting for something else. Confused

My point is consistency and the need to avoid unnecessary squashing of names within a limited space on the EPG.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stuart's post:
  • Former Member 406