Eurovision Song Contest 2023

(22-02-2023, 12:51 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 11:26 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  God, knew the BBC getting Eurovision right wouldn't last long.  Such an uninspiring line up of hosts and they're messing up the commentary too.  If Graham is hosting the main show then surely Rylan is far better than Mel for additional commentary during the final - the coverage significantly improved when he (via a couple of others I think) replaced her on the BBC3/4 coverage.
I don't know how you could possibly describe Hannah Waddingham hosting in particular as "uninspired". Very left field choice and she's sure to bring something very different to the show. And do you know anything about the Ukrainian host?

I found Mel and Rylan to be on a par commentary wise, the weak link for me for quite a few years has been Scott. Graham and Mel have hosted things together in the past so probably know how to work round each other better than Graham would with another commentator.

Hannah is a brilliant pick, she is an absolute hoot on the US chatshows I have seen her on. She is possibly the campest person alive. I think they might have been inspired by Petra Merde there.

Re Aj I suspect there was a schedule clash I think that she has quite a few shows in production hence Alesha.

The presenter lineup looks very good mel Scott graham and rylan have been involved in Eurovision for years its only right they have a role in this years contest. Im guessing Scott or rylan will take over from men bruce on radio 2 doing the radio commentary
[-] The following 1 user Likes Toby brown's post:
  • DeMarkay

Pleasantly surprised by today’s news. I maybe would have left Norton purely in his normal commentary role as I’m not sure what he’ll add that the other three presenters don’t already bring. I suspect this may be a way to give Giedroyc a role given up to only a few years ago, it had always been assumed she’d be one of the main presenters.

Rylan must be pretty annoyed.

Call me naive but I like to think the aim this year is to go for the win for the UK. Everything we’ve seen so far shows that actually, the UK is very invested in the contest. Sam Ryder’s post-contest success (plus that of Måneskin) is, I think, showing just how credible and a good career boost it can actually be.
[-] The following 2 users Like all new phil's post:
  • DeMarkay, Happy2001

(22-02-2023, 05:38 PM)all new phil Wrote:  Pleasantly surprised by today’s news. I maybe would have left Norton purely in his normal commentary role as I’m not sure what he’ll add that the other three presenters don’t already bring. I suspect this may be a way to give Giedroyc a role given up to only a few years ago, it had always been assumed she’d be one of the main presenters.

Rylan must be pretty annoyed.

Call me naive but I like to think the aim this year is to go for the win for the UK. Everything we’ve seen so far shows that actually, the UK is very invested in the contest. Sam Ryder’s post-contest success (plus that of Måneskin) is, I think, showing just how credible and a good career boost it can actually be.

It is a bit random to have had Rylan & AJ on screen for the Allocation Draw and then neither of them turn up as hosts for the show.

But I don't think they could have used Rylan without Scott Mills, due to his longer standing involvement with Eurovision. I did wonder if they'd both be replaced for the Semi finals this year considering they're going to be on BBC One (Mel would've been a good choice solo, considering she's now involved with the final). But I guess it would not have been a good look for the BBC to 'ditch' Scott months after he has come under some criticism online for replacing Steve Wright.

Alesha Dixon is the random one for me, nothing totally against her but surely AJ could have done this role? Hannah is an inspired choice and she speaks French/Italian so I am sure that'll be useful. But, yeah, Graham not being involved with the Semi finals doesn't sit quite right. When was the last time there was someone different presenting the final vs the semis?
[-] The following 2 users Like Ash101's post:
  • all new phil, UTVLifer

(22-02-2023, 12:51 PM)gottago Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 11:26 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  God, knew the BBC getting Eurovision right wouldn't last long. Such an uninspiring line up of hosts and they're messing up the commentary too. If Graham is hosting the main show then surely Rylan is far better than Mel for additional commentary during the final - the coverage significantly improved when he (via a couple of others I think) replaced her on the BBC3/4 coverage.
I don't know how you could possibly describe Hannah Waddingham hosting in particular as "uninspired". Very left field choice and she's sure to bring something very different to the show. And do you know anything about the Ukrainian host?
Fair comment and I've been won over by that appointment having seen the feedback from others too.

(22-02-2023, 04:03 PM)Jon Wrote:  I would guess Graham would just appear at the the beginning and once the songs have been performed for the interval and voting. Doing commentary on the singing part.
I doubt Graham will host during the voting either - it's usually only one or two of the hosts with the third in the green room. I suspect Graham will just top and tail the performances and voting.

(22-02-2023, 04:32 PM)cando Wrote:  
(22-02-2023, 12:51 PM)gottago Wrote:  I don't know how you could possibly describe Hannah Waddingham hosting in particular as "uninspired". Very left field choice and she's sure to bring something very different to the show. And do you know anything about the Ukrainian host?

I found Mel and Rylan to be on a par commentary wise, the weak link for me for quite a few years has been Scott. Graham and Mel have hosted things together in the past so probably know how to work round each other better than Graham would with another commentator.

Hannah is a brilliant pick, she is an absolute hoot on the US chatshows I have seen her on. She is possibly the campest person alive. I think they might have been inspired by Petra Merde there.

Re Aj I suspect there was a schedule clash I think that she has quite a few shows in production hence Alesha.
TBH I don't think AJ has the experience - Alesha has done more live entertainment shows (including as host) and hosted award shows too. AJ's star is rising but perhaps a year or two too soon for her, although she was excellent on the draw allocation.

I've seen Sam Quek is mentioned amongst the larger group of hosts but what is she doing? She is the only person with a local connection it seems.

(22-02-2023, 08:38 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  I've seen Sam Quek is mentioned amongst the larger group of hosts but what is she doing? She is the only person with a local connection it seems.

Sam Quek will front the Opening Ceremony live stream on the official Eurovision Song Contest YouTube Channel alongside Timur Miroshnychenko.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Ash101's post:
  • Brekkie

As in previous contests while the hosts are giving out the standard Europe-wide televoting instructions, the UK commentator will be talking over them to give out the UK-specific televoting instructions/phone rates/disclaimers (as mandated by Ofcom). Something that wasn't required of Terry at Brum 1998, which may explain Mel's role as co-commentator.

Worth mentioning that in addition to the Radio 2 commentary, BBC Radio Merseyside will be doing their own commentary on the Final: Claire Sweeney and the winner of local competition "Voice of Eurovision".

(22-02-2023, 10:00 PM)Onion Terror Wrote:  As in previous contests while the hosts are giving out the standard Europe-wide televoting instructions, the UK commentator will be talking over them to give out the UK-specific televoting instructions/phone rates/disclaimers (as mandated by Ofcom). Something that wasn't required of Terry at Brum 1998, which may explain Mel's role as co-commentator.
Surely they can find a more elegant solution for a home contest. Have it as a recorded VT or something with the UK getting a different version to everyone else.
Quote:I doubt Graham will host during the voting either - it's usually only one or two of the hosts with the third in the green room.  I suspect Graham will just top and tail the performances and voting.
I think if Graham wasn't hosting the voting it would reduce the need for the second commentator. Whilst the voting is the most important bit for a commentator, Graham doing it in person is just too good.

Graham is there though to gently rib the process - he can't do that as the host in the way he can in commentator. Although Graham (and Rylan and Scott) treat the whole thing with much more respect than Terry did in his latter years it is a slight conflict of interests, although all taken in good humour in most countries from what I've seen - as we saw with Petra it's laugh with, rather than laugh at, everything that's going on.

Some minor bits from the last few weeks that might have been missed:

Czech Republic will now be known as Czechia at Eurovision.

Rai are going to be showing the semi finals on Rai 2 rather than hidden away Rai 4 where they have traditionally been (last year it was on Rai 1 for obvious reasons). It will be interesting to see if the semis are upgraded to BBC2 from next year onwards. There will probably be enough of an audience for it after this year and I reckon it could at least match, if not better, the ratings BBC2 normally gets in the timeslot which tends to hover around a million.

The fan park at the Pier Head in Liverpool will be free across the week except for the grand final (which is a good thing because it would be an overcrowded free for all otherwise), so if and when you miss out on tickets for the arena there is at least a possible fun backup!
[-] The following 2 users Like gottago's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer