I know Im being cynical. I see no hard branding on that set. Despite the fact that CNN typically has their logo physically attached to their sets in most places. And the spot on the desk where the red box is simply says ABU DHABI....instead of CNN ABU DHABI. Make me think its a shared studio space for some reason. Its a pretty set but does it feel like a CNN set? Its alot of tech and big set for just an hour or so a day. Its hard to imagine it sits dark most of the day. Im curious.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mouseboy33's post:
  • interestednovice

Well Becky was presenting from a flash set for months so I thought there might be some works done, though flash sets are almost a CNN standard these days so it's hard to know what it actually means when they start using them.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ginnyfan's post:
  • interestednovice

(27-02-2023, 01:57 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  I know Im being cynical. I see no hard branding on that set. Despite the fact that CNN typically has their logo physically attached to their sets in most places. And the spot on the desk where the red box is simply says ABU DHABI....instead of CNN ABU DHABI. Make me think its a shared studio space for some reason. Its a pretty set but does it feel like a CNN set? Its alot of tech and big set for just an hour or so a day. Its hard to imagine it sits dark most of the day.  Im curious.

There appears to be a hidden 'CNN AD' there behind the lights. Not sure it works quite as well as CNN LDN

[-] The following 4 users Like newsjunkie's post:
  • bkman1990, EastCoast, interestednovice, mouseboy33

Anyway, it's just more of boring screen backgrounds with buildings on it. Looks like Becky's main shot will once again be pink plasma screens.
[-] The following 2 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • interestednovice, oscillon

There's a clip showing the construction: 
twitter.com 
[-] The following 2 users Like InternationalDesk's post:
  • EastCoast, interestednovice

Looks great for Abu Dhabi, an upgrade to the old space for sure. Hopefully Becky will use the space more, rather than being stuck on a fixed shot.

Shame they couldn't do something like this when the HK bureau relocated a few years ago. Wonder if this is a hint at the desk we might see at the new Techwood studio (or in New York if shows ever return to studios for that matter).
[-] The following 3 users Like EastCoast's post:
  • bkman1990, interestednovice, mouseboy33

The new music is great, finally a departure from the casual previous tune.

Wow, Connect the World also got updated titles and music, first time since the show's inception, I think - what was it, 2014?. Though the updated music remains somewhat poppish in style, one might argue.

(27-02-2023, 01:57 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Despite the fact that CNN typically has their logo physically attached to their sets in most places. And the spot on the desk where the red box is simply says ABU DHABI....instead of CNN ABU DHABI. Make me think its a shared studio space for some reason. Its a pretty set but does it feel like a CNN set? Its alot of tech and big set for just an hour or so a day. Its hard to imagine it sits dark most of the day. Im curious.
London set has the ability to switch off CNN logo from the table during Amanpour, as it is made for PBS as well... It would be reasonable to suggest that if Abu Dhabi set was a shared space it would have that ability too... May be they just did not switch it on during the first show...
[-] The following 1 user Likes oscillon's post:
  • interestednovice

(27-02-2023, 05:09 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Wow, Connect the World also got updated titles and music, first time since the show's inception, I think - what was it, 2014?. Though the updated music remains somewhat poppish in style, one might argue.

(27-02-2023, 01:57 PM)mouseboy33 Wrote:  Despite the fact that CNN typically has their logo physically attached to their sets in most places. And the spot on the desk where the red box is simply says ABU DHABI....instead of CNN ABU DHABI. Make me think its a shared studio space for some reason. Its a pretty set but does it feel like a CNN set? Its alot of tech and big set for just an hour or so a day. Its hard to imagine it sits dark most of the day.  Im curious.
London set has the ability to switch off CNN logo from the table during Amanpour, as it is made for PBS as well... It would be reasonable to suggest that if Abu Dhabi set was a shared space it would have that ability too... May be they just did not switch it on during the first show...

CTW launched in 2009 I believe, around the time of the “Go Beyond Borders” slogan.  

It started in London.  I don’t recall what year it moved to Abu Dhabi.
[-] The following 2 users Like inletwindow's post:

(27-02-2023, 05:09 PM)oscillon Wrote:  Wow, Connect the World also got updated titles and music, first time since the show's inception, I think - what was it, 2014?

This would be Connect The World's third graphics refresh and sixth new set.

April 2009 - Connect the World premieres from London at 22:00 CET
September 2013 - CNN London debuts a new set, CTW moves to 21:00 CET
April 2014 - CTW moves to Abu Dhabi at 17:00 CET
April 2016 - CNN Abu Dhabi debuts a new set.
February 2023 - CNN Abu Dhabi debuts a new set.

I'm not sure when exactly Connect the World updated from the launch graphics, it's likely around 2015/2016.
[-] The following 2 users Like EastCoast's post: