Eurovision Song Contest 2023

The Czechia decision seems to have been made with little notice; they were pulled out of the semi-final allocation bowl as 'Czech Republic' just a couple of weeks back. I wonder if Turkey ever decided to return to the contest, they'd be treated in the same manner and referred to as Türkiye. Given that they last took part in 2012, this is likely not a huge consideration for anyone at this time.

(25-02-2023, 10:36 AM)DavidWhitfield Wrote:  The Czechia decision seems to have been made with little notice; they were pulled out of the semi-final allocation bowl as 'Czech Republic' just a couple of weeks back. I wonder if Turkey ever decided to return to the contest, they'd be treated in the same manner and referred to as Türkiye. Given that they last took part in 2012, this is likely not a huge consideration for anyone at this time.

According to the former Czech Head of Delegation Jan Bors, this is a change that the Czech delegation have been pushing either Česká televize or the EBU for since at least 2017! 

twitter.com Česká tel 
[-] The following 2 users Like strollfan's post:
  • Happy2001, UTVLifer

To be fair they've been Czechia on Pointless for a couple of years now, which suggests they've been Czechia with the UN just as long too.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Brekkie's post:
  • DE88

(25-02-2023, 10:05 PM)Brekkie Wrote:  To be fair they've been Czechia on Pointless for a couple of years now, which suggests they've been Czechia with the UN just as long too.

They've been Czechia on Sporcle for a while too. Wink

Sporcle also started calling Istanbul's country Türkiye almost as soon as the UN did.

I've never met anyone in the Czech Republic who refers to the country as Czechia (or Česko).

Czechia is a short-form English version introduced in 2016 by the Czech Government which has generally been ignored by the population. The official name of the country remains Česká Republika (Czech Republic). A Czech friend of mine got quite annoyed when he noticed that Google Earth referred to his home country as Czechia.

Czechia is the short form officially recognised by the UN since 2016:
unterm.un.org 
[-] The following 2 users Like chaose's post:
  • Happy2001, Kunst

(26-02-2023, 12:26 AM)Stuart Wrote:  I've never met anyone in the Czech Republic who refers to the country as Czechia (or Česko).

Czechia is a short-form English version introduced in 2016 by the Czech Government which has generally been ignored by the population. The official name of the country remains Česká Republika (Czech Republic).  A Czech friend of mine got quite annoyed when he noticed that Google Earth referred to his home country as Czechia.

The official name remains the same because it's the long form name. A bit like how the official name of France is the French Republic, a lot of countries are like this. Introducing 'Czechia' is essentially correcting a long term error as almost all other languages already have shorter name for the country. It's still early days for the name and I'm sure it will grow in popularity as it becomes more normal.
[-] The following 3 users Like gottago's post:
  • cando, Kunst, strollfan

We should remark more on being called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... while we still can!
[-] The following 1 user Likes neonemesis's post:
  • Former Member 406

(27-02-2023, 05:16 PM)neonemesis Wrote:  We should remark more on being called the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland... while we still can!

In the event of Scottish independence happening at some point in the future, I look forward to the remaining UK's full name becoming (presumably) the even more cumbersome "the United Kingdom of England, Wales, and Northern Ireland".

UK song and artist announcement at 8.30am tomorrow on Radio 2.

The Sun are reporting it is ‘I Wrote a Song’ by Mae Muller, but the longer running rumour has been Rina Sawayama.