Was catching up with the 9pm Monday edition of The Situation Room today and noticed that they have been updating Washington Studio A hence why it's been out of use for a while now but it was shown as part of Wolf introducing the correspondents. The most noticeable change was the flooring with an extra bit of black and silver coating to it.

Old:
[Image: 2023-03-01.png]

New:
[Image: 2023-03-01-1.png]
[-] The following 2 users Like TMD_24's post:
  • bkman1990, oscillon

(01-03-2023, 09:31 PM)TMD_24 Wrote:  Was catching up with the 9pm Monday edition of The Situation Room today and noticed that they have been updating Washington Studio A hence why it's been out of use for a while now but it was shown as part of Wolf introducing the correspondents. The most noticeable change was the flooring with an extra bit of black and silver coating to it.

Old:
[Image: 2023-03-01.png]

New:
[Image: 2023-03-01-1.png]
Great scoop! Which, of course, begs the question whether they have plans to do anything apart from the floor, some new desk and most likely, back-end tech underneath them? From what I saw, all the screens in Studio A remain for now where they were, even those that are a little sub-par by modern standards.

The 9pm hour on Monday was a bit interesting, with Wolf roaming between studios A and B during recorded reports and ad breaks. The desk segments were done in B, while the opening segment had Wolf standing in A at a smaller videowall to the left of the curved screen (strange decision, pre-Covid Wolf was opening his show standing at the proper-sized video wall to the right of the curved screen).
Also they exploited John King's favourite touch screen with Jim Sciutto - although I'm not sure whether they were in A, like during Election nights, or they brought one in B (like they did in October for Jake's 9pm gig). A split-screen throw to the correspondent standing in B suggests that it might have been in A.

CNN really throwing everything but the kitchen sink on their 9pm block. Today's CNN Primetime, presented by Laura Coates, is a mock trial court discussing the Alex Murdaugh case.

(01-03-2023, 01:51 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I should make it clear that the 'coming up' was on CNN US.
Ah, so it was Newsroom with Victor Blackwell and Bianna Golodryga that did it, got it. Well, may be the distance between editorial offices in NY and DC plays a role as well. Sometimes they do get the substitute name correctly, so it is not the case that permanent anchor's name is always embedded in the program's name.

(02-03-2023, 03:15 AM)bakamann Wrote:  CNN really throwing everything but the kitchen sink on their 9pm block. Today's CNN Primetime, presented by Laura Coates, is a mock trial court discussing the Alex Murdaugh case.
Presentation-wise, there was a bespoke title at the beginning, again, as well an additional colored ticker with the theme of the show in place of a usual rolling news ticker (US) / transparency (Intl).
[Image: 2023-03-02-05-02-14.png]
[Image: 2023-03-02-05-03-41.png]
Studio-wise, it was again 19Y, former New Day and current At This Hour studio that had been used exactly a week ago for the Ohio train derailment town hall. Now it was designed in the colors of a court building (apart from the physical bricks).
[Image: 2023-03-02-05-22-55.png]
[Image: 2023-03-02-05-30-26.png]
[Image: 2023-03-02-05-33-29.png]
Apart from the pundits discussing the case as mock attorneys and the jury, the show sometimes featured correspondents and even a medical expert.
[Image: 2023-03-02-05-45-27.png]

Definitely getting HLN After Dark vibes from that setup.

I’m also genuinely surprised that Studio 19Y is getting so much air time. It’s not clear at all what CNN plans to do for both “News Central” and “This Morning” in terms of studio assignments. Surely we’d see one of the larger studios (19X, 19Y, or 19Z) out of commission for some upgrade works if the April launch date is accurate.

As for DC I’d be surprised if all we get is a new floor in Studio A. Hardly brings the news-gathering “front and center”.

On the subject of anchors throwing to other shows and either having the correct info or not. I would honestly assume it's down to time, the producer or the anchor. Whichever gallery the upcoming show is coming from will be visible to the in use gallery. It's more often than not that there simply isn't enough time.

Regarding 19Y - it rings of an era long lost. That brickwork finish should never have made it to Hudson Yards. That belonged to New Day a t Columbus Circle and the set in Atlanta. It's dire! If Chris Licht wants to make a dent in his programming then he needs to spend less time worrying about signing talent and focus more on the many other elements that might appeal to lost viewers and indeed new viewers.

(02-03-2023, 04:12 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Ah, so it was Newsroom with Victor Blackwell and Bianna Golodryga that did it, got it. Well, may be the distance between editorial offices in NY and DC plays a role as well. Sometimes they do get the substitute name correctly, so it is not the case that permanent anchor's name is always embedded in the program's name.

(02-03-2023, 10:05 AM)Newsroom Wrote:  On the subject of anchors throwing to other shows and either having the correct info or not. I would honestly assume it's down to time, the producer or the anchor. Whichever gallery the upcoming show is coming from will be visible to the in use gallery. It's more often than not that there simply isn't enough time.

It's just a silly mistake to make. There's nothing preventing them from finding out which show is next and who is hosting well in advance. Teams can check rundowns and schedules. Distance between bureaus and CNNI vs domestic doesn't really factor into it.

But as I've already said, saying The Lead with Jake Tapper is next is technically correct -- that is the name of the show, regardless of who is hosting. This isn't handled consistently though.

BTW, while the 2p/3p anchors are in NY, the bulk of the editorial team and the control room are in Atlanta.

(02-03-2023, 04:12 AM)oscillon Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 01:51 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I should make it clear that the 'coming up' was on CNN US.
Ah, so it was Newsroom with Victor Blackwell and Bianna Golodryga that did it, got it. Well, may be the distance between editorial offices in NY and DC plays a role as well. Sometimes they do get the substitute name correctly, so it is not the case that permanent anchor's name is always embedded in the program's name.

(02-03-2023, 03:15 AM)bakamann Wrote:  CNN really throwing everything but the kitchen sink on their 9pm block. Today's CNN Primetime, presented by Laura Coates, is a mock trial court discussing the Alex Murdaugh case.
Presentation-wise, there was a bespoke title at the beginning, again, as well an additional colored ticker with the theme of the show in place of a usual rolling news ticker (US) / transparency (Intl).

Studio-wise, it was again 19Y, former New Day and current At This Hour studio that had been used exactly a week ago for the Ohio train derailment town hall. Now it was designed in the colors of a court building (apart from the physical bricks).

Apart from the pundits discussing the case as mock attorneys and the jury, the show sometimes featured correspondents and even a medical expert.

I assume that this is still being simulcast on CNNi? The Maher interviews, sure why not. But this- really no use for the international audience.

(02-03-2023, 12:12 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 04:12 AM)oscillon Wrote:  Ah, so it was Newsroom with Victor Blackwell and Bianna Golodryga that did it, got it. Well, may be the distance between editorial offices in NY and DC plays a role as well. Sometimes they do get the substitute name correctly, so it is not the case that permanent anchor's name is always embedded in the program's name.

I assume that this is still being simulcast on CNNi? The Maher interviews, sure why not. But this- really no use for the international audience.

Well, not unless the CNNi audience has watched the hugely popular (Top 5) limited series on Netflix. It's kind of relevant this week.

(02-03-2023, 12:12 PM)matthieu1221 Wrote:  I assume that this is still being simulcast on CNNi? The Maher interviews, sure why not. But this- really no use for the international audience.

Of course, everything from 4 pm till midnight (all times Eastern), except for a half-an-hour exemption at 5:30pm for World Sport, is being simulcast on CNNI.
Moreover, when there is a breaking news story and CNN Tonight decides to overrun into the 12am or even 1am hour (this happened a couple of times recently, usually with John Berman taking the reins), CNNI ditches its Newsroom and simulcasts CNN/US.