Brookside to Stream on STV Player

Finally watching last week's episodes, Episode 27 has the extended end to the theme tune as well.

Episode 26 has Phil Redmond's credit keyed over the final shot again for the first time in about 15 episodes, and they keying is probably the worst it's looked all the times it was used. Not surprisingly they're back to just cutting straight to the blue background the next episode.

Also regularly get adverts for Scotrail and Bank of Scotland despite putting in an English postcode and neither trade in England (apart from Scotrail running a train to and from Carlisle, if you want to be anal), so presumably they don't serve different ads based on where you are.

(02-03-2023, 01:09 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Finally watching last week's episodes, Episode 27 has the extended end to the theme tune as well.

Episode 26 has Phil Redmond's credit keyed over the final shot again for the first time in about 15 episodes, and they keying is probably the worst it's looked all the times it was used. Not surprisingly they're back to just cutting straight to the blue background the next episode.

Also regularly get adverts for Scotrail and Bank of Scotland despite putting in an English postcode and neither trade in England (apart from Scotrail running a train to and from Carlisle, if you want to be anal), so presumably they don't serve different ads based on where you are.

Bank of Scotland have one (just) English branch: branches.bankofscotland.co.uk 

But yeah it is unusual to see these ads.

[Image: signature.jpg]
chatps.com

(02-03-2023, 09:17 AM)WillPS Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 01:09 AM)James2001 Wrote:  Finally watching last week's episodes, Episode 27 has the extended end to the theme tune as well.

Bank of Scotland have one (just) English branch: branches.bankofscotland.co.uk 

Yeah we get the same on Sky Q. You'd think with the apparent explosion in eyes on the STV platform they'd find getting advertisers quite easy. Maybe we'll see some more as time goes on.

[Image: sig.jpg]

I've almost caught up now. Interesting how on the STV Player app (on Firestick at least) they have split the first 30 episodes from the most recent ones to the extent that episode 30 doesn't role into episode 31.

And see even back then they tackled grief by sending the widow away for a couple of weeks. Story telling wise though at two episodes a week with almost a week between the episodes allows them to go from a death in one episode to a funeral in the next - indeed quite cleverly done without showing us the funeral and without them feeling the need for all the other characters to attend.

P.S. A change in the credits for 35 - still on blue, but the character name/job title is left aligned whilst the actors/crew name remained centered. Last episode available so not sure if this remains or is a mistake.

(02-03-2023, 09:53 AM)TheRealWB Wrote:  
(02-03-2023, 09:17 AM)WillPS Wrote:  Bank of Scotland have one (just) English branch: branches.bankofscotland.co.uk 

Yeah we get the same on Sky Q. You'd think with the apparent explosion in eyes on the STV platform they'd find getting advertisers quite easy. Maybe we'll see some more as time goes on.

McCain adverts with Ricky Tomlinson's voiceover pop up quite frequently, which I guess is connected to the show!

I still don’t like the fact you can’t watch the closing titles in full at the end of each episode - when watching through the STV Player. They need to fix that - I quite like the theme tune.
[-] The following 2 users Like LiamFitz's post:
  • Alf Stewart, James2001

Just watched episode 28- strange to see the K and X of the Kleenex box next to Gavin's bed blacked out. Presumably a way to stop showing the product name... though we've seen other product logos. Not least the Tesco logo on carrier bags (also mentioned in dialogue).

Yes, Bobby and Sheila like Tesco and Paul keeps taking Annabelle up Asda (ooh Matron). It's not specified where Heather and Roger shop but I'd imagine Roger prefers Sainsbury's. A little bit classier. Though with his eye for a good bargain I expect he frequents Aldi these days.

(02-03-2023, 10:12 AM)Brekkie Wrote:  P.S.  A change in the credits for 35 - still on black, but the character name/job title is left aligned whilst the actors/crew name remained centered.  Last episode available so not sure if this remains or is a mistake.

I've seen a few episodes on YouTube for later on in 1983 and the credits are still that way so I think they're like that for several months.

(02-03-2023, 02:51 PM)LiamFitz Wrote:  I still don’t like the fact you can’t watch the closing titles in full at the end of each episode - when watching through the STV Player. They need to fix that - I quite like the theme tune.

It's great to hear that theme tune again and frustrating at first the credits end early - but a few episodes in I was wishing I could skip the titles too.