Remembering BBC News 24/BBC News Channel 1997-2023

So as News 24 comes to an end, I’d like to share what I’ve just written on Twitter…

I’ve watched for many many years and have loved & respected every one of those. It’s been horrible watching the death by a thousand cuts. For making us shocked (will never forget the astonished gasps from the newsroom & crew as the 2nd plane hit the 2nd WTC tower live on air) and making us laugh (@jonsopel and @maitlis that’s you two), and making presentation geeks like me occasionally exasperated (why don’t the graphics line up!!?) thank you so so much to every single person involved. RIP News 24.

Volunteering. It's #GoodForYou!
[-] The following 12 users Like Moz's post:
  • bkman1990, fanoftv, harshy, itsrobert, JosiahStuart, Kojak, matthieu1221, Newsroom, Plutobug, Rolling News, Ste, Stuart

RIP BBC News 24 9th November 1997-3rd March 2023
logos.fandom.com 

I know this is a BBC News (24) remembrance thread but being a BBC World viewer I’ve been taking my own trip down memory lane. I miss the old days because the bulletins were well timed and produced ever since 2004 when they renovated their set it all changed and slowly went down hill from there in my opinion. Here’s a video with a rare title globe spin from the North Pole. I only ever remember seeing one from the almost South Pole with NZ and Antarctica being the starting point.

youtube.com 

Also loved Anita McNaught, always came across as if she had somewhere else to be lol

Also enjoyed Stephen Cole and Adrian Finighan during those days, as well as Martine Dennis, Lucy Hockings, David Eades and Lyse Doucet. So many prominent names. 

youtube.com 

2002 which includes proper into break, out from break, business, sport and closing stings. Ahh the good old days!

youtube.com 
[-] The following 6 users Like damian's post:
  • bakamann, chris, ginnyfan, itsrobert, oscillon, watchingtv

Ah, Anita! The Ice Queen. She’s been everywhere. TVNZ, Al Jaz, Fox News and, of course, the Beeb… and now she’s a farmer!
[-] The following 3 users Like Kojak's post:
  • damian, JamesWorldNews, Newsroom

(04-03-2023, 12:12 AM)damian Wrote:  I know this is a BBC News (24) remembrance thread but being a BBC World viewer I’ve been taking my own trip down memory lane. I miss the old days because the bulletins were well timed and produced ever since 2004 when they renovated their set it all changed and slowly went down hill from there in my opinion. Here’s a video with a rare title globe spin from the North Pole. I only ever remember seeing one from the almost South Pole with NZ and Antarctica being the starting point.

youtube.com 

Also loved Anita McNaught, always came across as if she had somewhere else to be lol

Also enjoyed Stephen Cole and Adrian Finighan during those days, as well as Martine Dennis, Lucy Hockings, David Eades and Lyse Doucet. So many prominent names. 

youtube.com 

2002 which includes proper into break, out from break, business, sport and closing stings. Ahh the good old days!

youtube.com 

They weren’t popular in the blue place but I was a big fan of the spinning globe titles that changed with the top story. Great to see it focusing on a rare part of the world. It was even rarer on News 24 simply because most lead stories would be UK / Europe focused. 

I’d love some detail on how it worked. Were the titles rendered live or before the TOTH? Some special kit required?
[-] The following 1 user Likes chris's post:
  • harshy

(04-03-2023, 11:48 AM)chris Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 12:12 AM)damian Wrote:  I know this is a BBC News (24) remembrance thread but being a BBC World viewer I’ve been taking my own trip down memory lane. I miss the old days because the bulletins were well timed and produced ever since 2004 when they renovated their set it all changed and slowly went down hill from there in my opinion. Here’s a video with a rare title globe spin from the North Pole. I only ever remember seeing one from the almost South Pole with NZ and Antarctica being the starting point.

youtube.com 

youtube.com 

youtube.com 

They weren’t popular in the blue place but I was a big fan of the spinning globe titles that changed with the top story. Great to see it focusing on a rare part of the world. It was even rarer on News 24 simply because most lead stories would be UK / Europe focused. 

I’d love some detail on how it worked. Were the titles rendered live or before the TOTH? Some special kit required?
It was clever but it seemed to be very jittery on screen, I think they had another go replacing with the red globe which improved the jitteriness but I might be wrong, of course I wasn’t amused when it became BBC World from BBC News but let’s not go there again ha.

(04-03-2023, 11:58 AM)harshy Wrote:  
(04-03-2023, 11:48 AM)chris Wrote:  They weren’t popular in the blue place but I was a big fan of the spinning globe titles that changed with the top story. Great to see it focusing on a rare part of the world. It was even rarer on News 24 simply because most lead stories would be UK / Europe focused. 

It was clever but it seemed to be very jittery on screen, I think they had another go replacing with the red globe which improved the jitteriness but I might be wrong, of course I wasn’t amused when it became BBC World from BBC News but let’s not go there again ha.
I am sure that I have read it somewhere that those titles were created live each time which was why they had that jitter to them when compared to the national titles.

Just a ident loving pres.fan from the East of England 
All spelling mistakes are my own #Dyslexic@Keyboard 

That look was great but it did have some big problems. N8's infamous tractor cam, anyone?

Randomly stumbled upon this one. Never saw such a great quality, HD video from early 2000s.

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 9 users Like ginnyfan's post:
  • bkman1990, harshy, Kojak, matthieu1221, oscillon, Roger Darthwell, Rolling News, TVFan, xlalonce

(01-03-2023, 08:09 PM)Kojak Wrote:  
(01-03-2023, 07:42 PM)TheJarv Wrote:  Jane Hill and Huw Edwards presented some of News 24's 2003 coverage of the Iraq War
World had some double-headed slots as well at that time. There is a clip somewhere of Anita McNaught and Mike Embley presenting (I think) The World Today. When a guest came in the studio, they sat in between the two presenters. Looked very awkward.

I see what you mean

www.youtube.com 
[-] The following 1 user Likes Rolling News's post:
  • ginnyfan