There is something I still don't quite get about ITVX Kids, as we know ITVX has many live streaming channels, so I am wondering if ITVX Kids also going to have it's own live streaming channel on ITVX?

You mean a FAST channel? Quite likely, I'd say.
[-] The following 4 users Like JAS84's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

(10-03-2023, 03:59 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  You mean a FAST channel? Quite likely, I'd say.

Yes this is what I mean, I have seen conflicting reports about it

(10-03-2023, 04:00 PM)Roger Darthwell Wrote:  
(10-03-2023, 03:59 PM)JAS84 Wrote:  You mean a FAST channel? Quite likely, I'd say.

Yes this is what I mean, I have seen conflicting reports about it

The most likely thing would be for it to be like nick jr 2 where the whole schedule is blanked with a single show, bit like the Vera channel. A Mr Bean channel or thunderbirds are go channel would probably work quite nicely.
[-] The following 3 users Like cable's post:
  • interestednovice, Roger Darthwell, UTVLifer

Has anyone commented on the layout of episodes within a programme page? When I look at The Chase on ITVX, individual episodes are listed out of sequence, in a totally random, impenetrable order...

there does seem to be a bug where it does not list episodes sequentially. I would like to see that these pages are aware of what has already been watched with a progress bar underneath them like Netflix and paramount plus.

Another thing I noticed, Sky Stream (and perhaps glass) seem to have an annoying bug where ads try and load in between parts - its like a blank screen with a buffering wheel, if you are subscribed to premium, you don't see any ads (well, we I saw a sponsorship for ITV Showcase drama watching Riches) but its not as seamless as say the Chromecast with Google TV which is seamless in transition in between parts. Hopefully this improves in the future, I wonder ifs Skys ad skip abilities are interfering with this at some level.
[-] The following 1 user Likes cable's post:
  • interestednovice

When streaming the broadcast ITV channels, why is there a weird filmic/American daytime soap look to it?

(13-03-2023, 11:17 PM)Lester Wrote:  When streaming the broadcast ITV channels, why is there a weird filmic/American daytime soap look to it?

Pretty much all streaming services, besides iPlayer, stream video at 25fps, whereas "proper" transmissions are shown at 50fps interlaced. For some reason, the streamers don't bother maintaining the frame rate when deinterlacing the video, so you lose half the frames and the results are more "filmic".

Though, ironically, people use American daytime soaps as a derogatory comparison when video is "too smooth", such as one of the Hobbit films. Those soaps, AIUI, are shown at 60fps and have a "live TV" look to them.
[-] The following 4 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • interestednovice, Lester, London Lite, Ma76

The ITV Hub did do 50fps for a while, but sadly for some reason regressed back to 25fps when it became ITVX.

Really, 50/60fps on streaming services should be standard at this point, with streaming becoming more and more dominant and increasing amounts of content only being made available by streaming, having content look the same as it would on TV and physical media should be a must. Streaming services keep upgrading their offerings with things like UHD, HDR, 5.1 etc., but somehow they still keep sticking at 24/25/30fps through it all and it's the major element where streaming really is at a disadvantage to linear TV and physical media. If the BBC can do it, and have been for several years, you have to ask why the big boys (apart from some sport on Amazon, and a couple of test streams on Netflix- and YouTube with its user generated content) seemingly can't.
[-] The following 4 users Like James2001's post:
  • interestednovice, Ma76, oscillon, Spencer

I wonder if they're just assuming most people don't notice. I rubbished the idea of getting an IPTV service that a family member swears by. When I tried to explain that the video streams are too choppy, I was met with a bemused reaction. I guess it's like when audiophiles try and show you how great FLAC is when you're content with just hearing the song.

The BT Sport app streams at 50fps too, come to think of it. You'd assume sport would be a big reason to push higher frame rates, but as far as I know, Sky Sports only streams at 25fps if you're using Sky Go or anything like that. Not sure if they boost it for Now TV.
[-] The following 3 users Like Larry the Loafer's post:
  • interestednovice, Kojak, Ma76